Global Entry and KTN If Already Had PreCheck

RedHead0186

DIS Veteran
Apologize if this has been covered already, I did a search and couldn't find it. I currently have TSA PreCheck (have had it for years), and want to apply for Global Entry. I'm sure others have done this, so I'm looking for any personal experience, especially related to KTNs. My internet research tells me I would get a new KTN if/when approved for Global Entry, so then I would have two KTNs. Is there any problem with that? Research also tells me that should be fine and that I could use either KTN (as long as my original PreCheck registration has not expired), is that correct? Anybody else who's gone from PreCheck to Global Entry encounter any pitfalls/issues/etc.?

I have never heard of any issues as long as neither is expired. I applied for GE in March and am still waiting for my conditional approval to try and schedule an appointment.

Apologize if this has been covered already, I did a search and couldn't find it. I currently have TSA PreCheck (have had it for years), and want to apply for Global Entry. I'm sure others have done this, so I'm looking for any personal experience, especially related to KTNs. My internet research tells me I would get a new KTN if/when approved for Global Entry, so then I would have two KTNs. Is there any problem with that? Research also tells me that should be fine and that I could use either KTN (as long as my original PreCheck registration has not expired), is that correct? Anybody else who's gone from PreCheck to Global Entry encounter any pitfalls/issues/etc.?
We didn't have any issues when we applied for GE but still had a valid PreCheck number. I did update all my KTN when we received approval.

Since GE comes with PC, wouldn't your original Precheck number just become null and void since you'd use the Precheck that comes with GE? I can't see TSA allowing someone to have two KTN's.

Since GE comes with PC, wouldn't your original Precheck number just become null and void since you'd use the Precheck that comes with GE? I can't see TSA allowing someone to have two KTN's.
That's what I'm asking, lol. When I was googling about it I found information that stated (from credible sources) that you could have (and use) more than one KTN. But I wanted to see if anyone here had any actual experience with that.

Why would it? Two separate programs, one designed for domestic travel and one designed for foreign travel that happens to have the domestic component also. There are other programs that offer KTN that some do and some don't include Precheck.

We had the same experience with my son. He had PreCheck, which is still valid. He got Global Entry a few months ago and received a new KTN. He flew last weekend. Even though his first KTN was still valid and the airline had that KTN on file, we needed to enter his new KTN during the check in process. He then successfully got PreCheck on his flights.

We had Pre-Check and after we got Global Entry I just changed our KTNs to the Global Entry number. No problems at all. I did get emails about renewing Pre-Check for a couple of years after though.

That's what I'm asking, lol. When I was googling about it I found information that stated (from credible sources) that you could have (and use) more than one KTN. But I wanted to see if anyone here had any actual experience with that.
I got GE while I had my KTN. Your GE number is also your new KTN so you end up with them overlapping. I updated my KTN with the airlines to my GE number after I got the approval, no issues.

I had PreCheck that was still valid and got GE. Just started using the new KTN that came with GE, no problems
Same here for DH and I.
Only change with going from a KTN# to GE# on all our accounts
We even had flights booked and we switched those. Easy. Got Pre on all flights just like before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter