Gluttoberfest: Food and Wine 2009 - Updated 12/24 (Review is complete!)

Have fun Lori - Tell Catherine hello and eat Meat Butter to your little hearts content!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I will wave since we will be in the same time zone!

Happy Birthday Lori! Enjoy your trip to Vegas, eat lots of meat butter (as Chelsi already said) and tell Catherine that Jay and I said hello! Can't wait to hear all about your trip! :cool1:

Thanks everyone! I had a wonderful trip to Vegas.

I ate a lot of food, drank a lot of booze, and most importantly, got my foie gras fix. So I say...

Suck it, Disney! :laughing:

I'll have to get my pics from Saturday, October 17th uploaded and such to continue on with my report here.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! (Will we get a Vegas dining report tucked into this one?)

Jaime

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! (Will we get a Vegas dining report tucked into this one?)

Jaime

Thanks, Jaime. I won't be doing a Vegas food review here because that would be off topic. I'd probably put it in the Bendy thread on the Community Board. :)

... I wanted to get a picture of the servers coming around with the pan of it, but I was not quick enough...

Finally got my pictures uploaded. And I was quick enough to get a picture.;)

(This was the nitroed raisins from the Blue Zoo Signature dinner)

20091021wdwoct151909006.jpg

Karen

Finally got my pictures uploaded. And I was quick enough to get a picture.;)

(This was the nitroed raisins from the Blue Zoo Signature dinner)

20091021wdwoct151909006.jpg

Karen

LOL Karen! Thanks for sharing the pic of the pot o' nitro raisin powder. I hope Ed saw that I heard his comments about that. ;)

I'll have to update my next reviews soon. I've been quite lazy.

LOL Karen! Thanks for sharing the pic of the pot o' nitro raisin powder. I hope Ed saw that I heard his comments about that. ;) ...

Apparently you can flash freeze stuff in liquid nitrogen and pulverize it. Tasted like raisins. I wanted to get a picture of the servers coming around with the pan of it, but I was not quick enough. But I was most amused by betterlatethannever, sitting at the table next to us. I overheard him make a comment like, "Oh yeah. Nitro raisins. Like I have that every day." It was snarky and sarcastic, and I loved that.

Yes, I saw your comment.

I'm glad you liked my comment.

Ed

Hey! How long have you been home!?!

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!:banana:

Saturday, October 17, 2009:

It's Brenda's birthday, this frigid Saturday. I looked at my phone and saw that it was 49 degrees when I went out into the day. This was the morning that Catherine joined me on my quest to enter a park other than Epcot. I already mentioned the Haunted Mansion ride, then a monorail back to Epcot, where we were meeting up at the Ditch with some local friends.

So we're at the Ditch, and I order this margarita:

DSCN0206.jpg

This sucker has passion fruit, so it's a bit sweeter than the other margaritas I've had, but still excellent.
MinstrelExcellent.jpg

It's even endorsed by the Avenging Angel of Tequila.

DSCN0207.jpg

Scary, ain't he? If you sit in the back corner, this guy hovers over you. I didn't come up with the Avenging Angel of Tequila moniker. That was all Catherine.

After some chips and salsa and various drinks, we headed out to do some kiosk noshing.

Now the next item, according to Chelsi and Brenda, looks like they dipped the meat skewers in kitty litter, and I have to agree. It's also known as Grilled Pork Skewer with Farofa from the Rio de Janeiro, Brazil kiosk. Farofa must mean "kitty litter" in Portuguese. ;)

DSCN0209.jpg

These were tastier than they looked, and the pork was not overcooked. That's a plus. I give it a solid Good rating.
MinstrelGood.jpg

I wasn't prepared to order this next item, but, I was curious to see if it tasted like a Dreamsicle. It's the Parfait with Orange Coulis from the Desserts and Champagne kiosk.

DSCN0210.jpg

Yes, it sort of was an ice cream hockey puck covered in orange sauce, but it did remind me a bit of a Dreamsicle. I give this an OK.
MinstrelOk.jpg

I didn't order this next dish, nor did I taste it. I took a photo of it because of the Conspic-u-Mickey:

DSCN0211.jpg

I think these are the ham croquettes. I'll never know if they're any good or not. :laughing:

Soon it was time to get to the Festival Center, because we had a 1pm food demo with Greg Richie of Emeril's Tchoup Chop. While we were walking to the festival center, there are some grassy areas. I couldn't resist taking a photo of this woman and her beer.

DSCN0212.jpg

I don't think she was drunk, just taking in some sun. But after reading some threads about how horrid and drunk the festival goers were from a post on another board, I thought it was only fitting to show the "proof" of said debauchery. :laughing:

And so the Ubiquitous Pam Smith introduces Chef Richie.

DSCN0214.jpg

What's on the menu? Steamed Shrimp and Pork Dumplings, served with the prerequisite thimbleful of Francis Ford Coppola Chardonnay. What I tasted of the wine was fine. Here are the dumplings.

DSCN0217.jpg

These were good, but nothing I couldn't get at most Asian restaurants. I'll rate it a Good.
MinstrelGood.jpg

After the tasting, Catherine and I went back to the Wall of People in World Showcase. All of the food booths had crazy long lines, except for Thailand for some reason. Still, the sheeple lined up quite nicely without much fuss. I had never seen the walkways that crowded before, and frankly neither had Catherine. I wonder if it was more crowded than you'd find during the holidays. Our best guess was that it was the first Saturday when the temps were cooler than they had been, so all the locals came out in force.

Since I had the Tequila Tasting in Mexico, I had wanted more food in me. And so I finally got myself one of these babies:

DSCN0218.jpg

Yes, it's hard to believe, but I never had School Bread from Kringla Bakeri before. And yum, I enjoyed it. It gets a Good.
MinstrelGood.jpg

We checked in for the tasting, and we ran into Tony. Catherine, Tony and I sat at the Big Kids Table. There's a large table without chairs near the bar, but they set it up with high seated chairs. We were lucky that we weren't in the sofa pit area with the TV tray tables like this poor woman next to us.

DSCN0222.jpg

You can see from her set up that we had three types of tequila, some crackers, and a plate with lime peel, cinnamon sticks and coffee beans on it.

Here's a better shot of the glasses with tequila and the plate with aromatics from my vantage point.

DSCN0221.jpg

The three tequilas were arranged in the order of aging. White or "Silver" tequila, not aged. Strong enough for jet fuel. The middle tequila is a Reposado, or slightly aged for a few months in a barrel. The last one is an Anejo, which is aged for more than a year, sometimes up to 3 years. As they age, they get deeper and mellower in taste, aroma and color.

We were supposed to sniff the aromas and compare them to the aromatics on the table. The lime matched with the White, the cinnamon with the Reposado, and the coffee with Anejo. I definitely liked the Reposado and Anejo better than the White.

They served us food to go with the tequilas, as well.

DSCN0223.jpg

Shrimp Ceviche, Chicken Tostada and Crab Meat Tostada. I thought the shrimp ceviche was fabulous and had a great spicy kick that offset the White tequila well, and the crab was my favorite of the two tostadas. The good news is that the Ditch sells these food items everyday. They all get an Excellent.
MinstrelExcellent.jpg

Now, since we were already in the Ditch, we were able to stay to order more food and tequila. So Catherine, Tony and I stayed for more of that wonderful shrimp ceviche. I wanted some guacamole and ordered some. But I didn't take a photo of it. We did a shot of tequila with it, and it was Excellent.
MinstrelExcellent.jpg

The best part was that we were able to avoid the Big Honkin' Line outside the bar. There were a ton of people lined up to get in when we left.

That's it for the first part of my installment. My next review will be Bistro de Paris.

YUM!!!! The food at the tequila tasting was a nice touch, I thought.

And gawd yes ... it was more crowded that Saturday than I have ever seen it in my entire life. :scared1: I will say that the crowds were all very well behaved, though ... unlike the following Friday (23rd) when people were downright obnoxious.

YUM!!!! The food at the tequila tasting was a nice touch, I thought.

And gawd yes ... it was more crowded that Saturday than I have ever seen it in my entire life. :scared1: I will say that the crowds were all very well behaved, though ... unlike the following Friday (23rd) when people were downright obnoxious.

I agree that the crowds, for what they were, made me nervous. But they were so well behaved, it was like they were in a food and wine stupor of complacency. :laughing:

I agree that the crowds, for what they were, made me nervous. But they were so well behaved, it was like they were in a food and wine stupor of complacency. :laughing:

You may have hit upon something.

The crowds on the 23rd were a surly, sweaty, pushy bunch. If we'd stayed later I'm sure we would have seen some of them projectile vomiting on a group of small children waiting in line for the Norway princess meal. And there would have been nothing accidental about it. :lmao:

now I'm thinking about the line to buy a drink in Italy that stretched all the way into Germany - a cross-border line. Holy crap! But they were all very civilized. No inter-axis fighting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter