Going back to Sports... Need Advice.

disney castle days

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I just went to my knee doctor yesterday for MRI results, and found out I have a tiny meniscus tear, a baker's cyst, and the fat pad (I can't remember what it's called) that holds up my patella is swollen and my patella is crooked. All this being said he said I can return to field hockey as soon as today, to my tolerance.

I am hesitant to go back for multiple reasons
-The knee pain has lasted 2 years now, before we never knew what it was. I don't want it to be any worse.
- I don't want to tear it any farther that it is
- My coach is NOT one to let you just walk out of a drill because your in pain. Although she is aware of the situation

Does anyone have any advice on how to go back to playing (or if I should just take the year off)? If you have any experience with this it would be a great help.

If you're not comfortable with the doctors opinion, then you can go get a second opinion. However, if that second doctor says the same thing, then it's really up to you what you want to do next.

I have "bad" knees, and have had them since I was 13 (let's just say that was more than 3 decades ago). I had arthroscopy on them both 20 years ago. Like you, I've been told by the doctors that I can do what I want, to my pain tolerance. I have to trust what they tell me. I've also found that strengthening the muscles around my knees has made things SO much better. I started getting into weightlifting and bodybuilding about 10-12 years ago and it's made such a difference. Without a doubt, my knees will still hurt me, but it's a lot less than it used to be. I'm in amazingly good shape for a guy who's well into middle age. I also have an issue with both of my hips. Had a tear in the right labrum that required surgical repair 3 years ago. It still hurts and is degenerating, but I'm cleared to do what I want, again to the tolerance of my pain.

My attitude about it is this...I've had several doctors over the years, mostly due to moving. They have all concurred on their diagnosis and prognosis. Yes, the joints are "damaged". Yes, they will hurt. But yes, I'm cleared to do what I want. And sure, with damaged joints, there's a higher risk of reinjuring them or making it worse. However, my attitude is that if they're failing anyway I'm going to enjoy the mobility I have now and get the most out of it. I'd rather have 7 active and fun years with them than 15 years of just sitting on the couch doing nothing because I'm afraid of hurting them worse. I'm not going to do anything incredibly stupid that I know for a fact will cause damage...for instance I don't do deadlifts anymore, that's just asking for trouble. But I'm going to lift weights, run, do 5Ks, play with my kids, race cars, etc... I have faith that I'm going to be OK, and if something gives out, so be it, but I got to do the things I love.

Not sure if that helps or not. But the summary of what I'm saying is that if you have trust in the doctor, then get back out there and play. Push through the pain unless it gets really bad (it may just be something you have to learn to live with). Strengthen the muscles around your knee, I think you'll find it helps a lot.

Good luck!!

If you can take the year off do it. Let the swelling go down and let the tear heal. You are right - you risk the tear getting worse and then you would probably need surgery. The difference is playing more years after it heals, or shortening your playing time over all because of catastrophic damage.

You are actually fortunate you are in a position to make the choice.

If you can take the year off do it. Let the swelling go down and let the tear heal. You are right - you risk the tear getting worse and then you would probably need surgery.

I'm not a doctor, but just going from what mine have told me (and my college degree is human biology, so I remember a few things)...Most of the meniscus doesn't have a good blood supply, it cannot heal on it's own. Therefore, a year off or 10 years off won't heal it, and it also won't change whether you're at risk for tearing it more. Typically, you either treat it conservatively or surgically repair it...which can have it's own dangers and issues down the road. Again, just an educated guess, but I'd guess that's why OP was told she's free to return to playing, with pain tolerance. Not much you can or would want to do with a tiny meniscus tear.

I'm not a doctor, but just going from what mine have told me (and my college degree is human biology, so I remember a few things)...Most of the meniscus doesn't have a good blood supply, it cannot heal on it's own. Therefore, a year off or 10 years off won't heal it, and it also won't change whether you're at risk for tearing it more. Typically, you either treat it conservatively or surgically repair it...which can have it's own dangers and issues down the road. Again, just an educated guess, but I'd guess that's why OP was told she's free to return to playing, with pain tolerance. Not much you can or would want to do with a tiny meniscus tear.

My understanding from when my husband tore his meniscus, is that the outer, smaller, portion of the meniscus does have a good blood supply, and a tear that occurs in this area can heal on its own, or may require surgery, whereas the inner portion does not have a good blood supply, and cannot heal on its own, but that there are surgical options for tears in this area. My husband had a tear in the outer portion of his meniscus a few years ago, and although it took awhile, it did fully heal on its own.

I would also suggest a second opinion, and to better understand exactly where the tear is, and if it is in an area that can heal on its own or not.

According to my doctor, due to my age and the location of the tear there is a possibility of the tear healing with time and rest. I am all for surgery but he thinks I should give it a couple of months first to see if it heals.

Don't be all for surgery. You're still a kid, and when it comes to joint issues, cutting is never really an ideal thing. I know how competitive sports are at your age. My oldest son is just a year behind you and plays football. It's hypercompetitive and like you said the coaches don't have patience for you walking from a drill. I get it.

Great, if the tear is in a spot that has good blood flow, then follow the advice of the doctor and see how it does with time. If he's cleared you to play and you're up for it, then go for it. Just be smart. If you're not up for it, then don't do it. I'd also suggest being upfront with the coaches. All of my kids play sports, the boys play football and lacrosse and my daughter is a lacrosse player. Coaches are tough and demanding, no doubt. But they also understand that you're kids. Talk to them about the issue and I'll bet they'll do what they can to help you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter