• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going in August?

thetallone101

Mouseketeer
I know Florida is hot, humid with daily thunderstorms in the summer time. We typically go to Disney the first 2 weeks of December, but with my oldest child going into higher grades it's becoming harder to have her miss school...so our options are during the school holidays (way too busy during Christmas/Easter, etc) or during the summer break. Was thinking of planning our next trip during the last 2 weeks of August 2018 - crowds start to decrease as American kids go back to school earlier. Thoughts?

We've gone once in August, the exact same time period you're considering (last two weeks). There tend to be some decent Canadian discounts for that time period, if you stay on site (in the past, I think there's been a Canadian-only free dining option? And decent room only discounts too). The crowds are definitely manageable, too, and might be similar to what you've experienced in early Dec. But it definitely is hot, humid, and very different from a December trip. For us, the hardest days were the ones where we tried to accomplish too much. My advice (take what's useful! hah):

- plan a break every afternoon. Sometimes our break was actually late morning, to be honest: rope drop followed by a late-morning break, then back to things for the afternoon/evening. We tried to be either indoors or in a swimming pool during the hottest parts of the day. This meant lunch was often our biggest meal of the day, usually at a TS restaurant with air conditioning.
- drink more water than you think you need. We always carried brita bottles and filled them at QS restaurants around the parks. Takes the funny taste away.
- If you're in Florida for 2 weeks, pace yourselves. Build down days into your plan. I highly recommend the waterparks at this time of the year.
- bring at least 2 pairs of shoes each. Our feet swelled in the heat, and it was important to have different footwear options to allow for the swelling.

Phew! I hope this helps!

I'm going the last week of August before school starts this year. I plan to take breaks during the afternoon, and take it easy. It is just me and my son, so we can go at his pace. He isn't that big on rides, though by the end of a week perhaps he will be. I have limited things planned, we only have 5 ADRs planned, most for breakfast (and a BOG dinner because I wanted it lol). We will also be getting a case of water from Garden Grocer, along with breakfast items, so we always have some with us. I bought those cooling clothes that you wet, we've never used them before but we'll see! I know kiddo will want one of those spray fans... he wanted one when we went at the end of May last year and I said no for one day.

I like the tip for extra shoes, I can see them getting stinky too :) And all that. I got park hoppers, I plan to use that express bus if it's still there, and we are staying at Yacht Club so will be taking advantage of the pool area.

I have to say, while it's still expensive (I mean it's Disney and we're staying at a Deluxe) it is costing less than what I had costed out for a March break trip, which is why we're going then.

We have gone three times during the last two weeks of August and are going again this year. Being teachers, this is the best time for our family to go. The crowds are manageable and we don't mind the heat. We do take afternoon breaks, and do spend time at the pool. We find that with many attractions inside, you do get some reprieve from the heat. I also agree with the multiple shoes suggestion. Being our fourth trip at this time, it has to be alright or we wouldn't be doing it again. Enjoy.

We went 4 or 5 years in a row during the last 2 weeks of August. We have also been there in June and July. Yes, it's hot and humid and it rains nearly every afternoon. WE like to go out to the parks early in the morning and then back to the resort for the afternoon. Returning to the park in the evening. This works very well. It gets you several hours in the park before it gets too hot or crowded and if you are lucky you will be at the resort while it's raining.

It's been a couple of years since we were able to visit in August and I really miss it. Nothing is insanely busy and cost wise it's low season so it's a more reasonable. I have been trying to book a long weekend for my DH and I this August but we will have to wait until much closer to that time to see if we can get away.

We to enjoy the end of August for all the above reasons mentioned. My DH is really not a fan of the heat and humidity, but barring AK he found ample shade and down time in ariconditined rides at all the other parks.

And now you can get Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets. We did it last year the Friday of the Labour Day weekend. It was awesome. With DW being a teacher it wasn't something we thought we were going to get the chance to do until retirement. If we didn't have an Alaska cruise booked for this August we would have gone back to do it again in a second.

I know Florida is hot, humid with daily thunderstorms in the summer time. We typically go to Disney the first 2 weeks of December, but with my oldest child going into higher grades it's becoming harder to have her miss school...so our options are during the school holidays (way too busy during Christmas/Easter, etc) or during the summer break. Was thinking of planning our next trip during the last 2 weeks of August 2018 - crowds start to decrease as American kids go back to school earlier. Thoughts?

This is when we are going next year :) We went the end of June/first of July last time, so from what I've read, pretty comparable. As others have said: it's hot and humid, it'll rain every day for maybe 1/2 hr or so. But, it's really doable. We did as others mentioned: went to the parks for rope drop, and then took afternoon breaks, went back for the evenings (or a couple days we just soldiered on until 2 or 3 and then were done for the day). We stayed 11 nights, so we took some rest days. We stayed off-site in a rental home with a private pool - can't recommend that enough for this time of year. No lugging towels, having to walk a long distance to a very busy resort pool... instead, we slide open the patio door and jump in our very own private pool :) We're staying in the same home again next time. My husband is a teacher at a local college who doesn't get a spring break, so summer is the only time we will ever be able to go.

I've never been in August, I think you will have great fun. I will HIGHLY recommend as someone else said, drink more water than you think you need. Drink it when you don't feel thirsty even.
August is still plenty hot, and you can become dehydrated and light-headed easily.

I am doing my second August trip this year. I'm a kindergarten educator so am limited as to when I can travel. I had no issues last year. Drink lots of water, a TS lunch is a god send, wear a wide brimmed hat, apply sunscreen frequently and enjoy the pool! You will have a wonderful time!

If you live in southern Ontario you will already be acclimatized to the heat. We will be there again this August. Towards the 3rd week til the end there are very few crowds because they go back to school early in the USA. However, every afternoon there will be a storm that will last 45min-1hr then it will blow over and it will be sunny again. I agree, bring a couple of pairs of shies, drink lots of water, but it's really not that bad.

We're going in early August this year, and have gone for the last two Julys. The crowds have not been problematic. Crowds seem to have shifted from being worst in summer to now being worst in the fall. For each of these trips, we've had no problem getting good ADR's (only a few months in advance) and FP's. You need to come prepared to deal with sun and rain (waterproof shoes, ponchos, sun hats, etc.). The weather will be your issue in late summer, more than crowds.

Staying at a deluxe resort really helps in summer, as they have great pools & full towel service at those pools.

Touring the parks at rope drop & evening, utilizing EMH at those times, is especially helpful in summer, because the weather is nicest then. Take breaks at your resort mid-day. Schedule outdoor-ride FPs for before noon, when it is least likely to rain.

On park days, scheduling an early table service dinner will provide an air-conditioned respite from the heat when you're hungry, hot and tired.

Last edited:
I found self wicking clothes and cool towels helped. A pool day in the middle also helped a lot. I don't think we came out of the water for hours.

We've been going the end of August for years. The closer to Labour Day, the less the crowds. As others, we go at rope drop and leave parks during the worst of the heat of the day, for a pool break back at our resort. And it's also the lowest price season for rooms, although discounts haven't been very good the past few years, IMO. Still room rates are lower than other seasons. With our CAD being so bad I'm going to DL instead this August, dispite the fact that I'll be in So Florida visiting. I live on the west coast, so just a little detour!

We are going for the first time in August 23-30. We have been several times in both June and July. I find that what works best is going out to the parks early... arriving when they open and stay for the morning. Noon-1pm head back to the resort for a rest and a swim. Easy to do when staying onsite. We go back out at about 4-5pm for dinner and spend the evenings in the park. Since a lot of the rides and attractions at Disney are indoors or the line areas are at least covered with fans you are not right out in the heat. We find a misting fan is a Godsend in the heat as well. And we know to be prepared for rain. But thankfully the rain in Florida tends to be short lived and often happens in the later afternoon 3-4pm so it doesn't affect the whole day.

Last edited:
We're going again this August....last 2 times we went were also late August (Aug 2007 and Aug 2009). Yes it's been quite a long time since we visited WDW. Last trip to Orlando area was in 2013 when we did Disney cruise on The Fantasy. In the many books and blogs I have read, it's definitely hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

... taking notes for our first WDW trip this August.
Sorry for butting in with a question: when traveling in August, when do you usually book your flight?

I booked mine in mid-February, they have since doubled in price. I basically booked as soon as I knew we'd be going and found flights that worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter