Going mirrorless

jimim

DIS Veteran
I just don't have it in my to carry my DSLR anymore. It's just too big and bulky. This trip I used my phone with Halide app more and more due to size, but I miss having my gear with me. Then I saw a kid with a mirrorless strapped to his bag strap on his shoulder with a prime lens on it. I was like. . . . this is what I want. It was like 1/4 the size of my mark 5. so I started looking around.

I'm really liking the canon r8. But. . . . it doesn't have in camera stabilization. I have watched alot of videos about of videos about it and it isn't a game changer but it would be really really nice. When I have been looking at canon mirrorless lens not alot of them in the prime range have IS if I went the r8 route. So then I started looking at the r6 mark II. but now I'm going back to the big ol' camera.

I'm not set in canon camp cause I think I'm going part with my glass due to size. I got my money out of it so I can tech jump camp into Sony or Nikon. I was looking at the Sony 7 IV but from the videos I have watched it seems like the R8 blows it out the water. I say that Sony cause I really don't want to dump more money into a body that I might not even like.

Someone get my head straight and on a path here. I feel like I am all over the place.

What I'm hung up on right now is in camera stab. Is it a gamer changer for low light? I mean everything I am watching is saying 5-7 stops. . . I mean that is alot of help! I'm not as steady as I used to be. That R8 looks like a nice small package.

I feel your pain. I went mirrorless a year or two ago. Stuck with Nikon but could easily have tried others. I guess I was brand loyal (or brand blind?). One feature I really appreciate in cameras is the ability to automatically geotag pictures. Unfortunately, I didn't get that feature in my new camera.

Funny, but even though I have a nice compact mirrorless camera I more often find myself just resorting to my iPhone.

Which Nikon? I haven’t gone there yet. Do they allow third party lens? Canon is still holding out which I find odd being they never did. I like my sigma lens and tokina’s I have.

I've got the low-end Z50. Yes, you can get third party lenses for it.

I went from a Canon Rebel T6 to a Sony a6000 in 2019 and will never go back! Yes, it's a low end and older Sony but perfect for me. I highly recommend mirrorless and you can also buy third party lenses for it; I have two.

I’m looking hard at the Sony’s. I like the Nikon cause u can use those new express cf cards. Nikon’s auto focus seems a bit behind Sony and canon and canon’s seems the best but with canon if I want a small camera I loose in camera stabilization. I also loose the new express cf bit you loose that with Sony also. I have to go look at all of them. I want small. So I know I’m going to trade off. I was looking at the canon r6 mark ii bitten in back up to my mark size I’m on now. That canon r8 from canon looks so sweet. I have to look into the Nikon z6 ii. It it’s getting long in the tooth now so I might be waiting till the version iii rolls out. I don’t know. There is no way I’m getting everything I want in 1 camera with a small package.

My wish list:
1. Small
2. In camera stab
3. Express cf
4. Top quality auto focus. I’m so sick of moving focus points.

I’m looking hard at the Sony’s. I like the Nikon cause u can use those new express cf cards. Nikon’s auto focus seems a bit behind Sony and canon and canon’s seems the best but with canon if I want a small camera I loose in camera stabilization. I also loose the new express cf bit you loose that with Sony also. I have to go look at all of them. I want small. So I know I’m going to trade off. I was looking at the canon r6 mark ii bitten in back up to my mark size I’m on now. That canon r8 from canon looks so sweet. I have to look into the Nikon z6 ii. It it’s getting long in the tooth now so I might be waiting till the version iii rolls out. I don’t know. There is no way I’m getting everything I want in 1 camera with a small package.

My wish list:
1. Small
2. In camera stab
3. Express cf
4. Top quality auto focus. I’m so sick of moving focus points.
I think Sony may be your answer based on those criteria. Myself, I have decided on the R6mII with a 14-35L as my walk around park camera. I do prefer something a little substantial if for no other reason than my hand size for handling. Plus a load of existing Canon glass. But #1,2, and 4 above just makes me feel Sony would be right for you. Honestly, when you think about it, unless there is a specific feature you gotta have, all the cameras you've discussed will do the job. At that point it becomes which one will make you happy?

I think Sony may be your answer based on those criteria. Myself, I have decided on the R6mII with a 14-35L as my walk around park camera. I do prefer something a little substantial if for no other reason than my hand size for handling. Plus a load of existing Canon glass. But #1,2, and 4 above just makes me feel Sony would be right for you. Honestly, when you think about it, unless there is a specific feature you gotta have, all the cameras you've discussed will do the job. At that point it becomes which one will make you happy?
I have a Lon of canon L glass and sigma art so I have to stick with canon I’m thinking. I was thinking Sony but after watching a lot of videos with Sony and canon in the mix I’m thinking if I want small I have to go r8. If I want bigger then r6 mark Ii like you. The mark is still smaller than what I’m carrying now but still way larger than the r8. The r8 has everything I feel is impt to me MK us in camera stab. That’s my only issue and from what I have read that I camera stab is only really uselful with stills. Any movement and it goes iut the window. I’m getting there. I have to get down to a local shop 75 mins away to put both in real life side by side along with my current camera to really see bit for Disney I’m done with bulk.

Went mirrorless back in 2011 with the original Sony NEX-3 with an APS-C sensor, then NEX-7 in 2013. I've also used an A6000 and now have a Full-Frame Sony A7rii and will likely upgrade next year to
an A7rV.

If I were to start all over again and wanted to stay with a Full-Frame I would stick with Sony mostly because then continue to be and have invested $billions in sensor technology and are continuously pushing the technology forward.. They also allow third party lenses and endless adaptors. I do at times enjoy shooting with a vintage lens. Sony also offers a much fuller range of native lenses and the latest G and GM ones are spectacular and manage to keep the size and weight down compared to Canon and Nikon. I will say that the competition is vastly stronger now that Canon and Nikon (finally) joined the FF mirrorless party which is a win for the consumer. Canon and Nikon are probably more intuitive to use and have better menu systems (but Sony is catching up - competition).

If I were to go to a cropped format (APS-C) only I would take a good look at Fuji. They dominate that market and their cameras are superb. I do like having a Sony FF plus a A6000 for when I want to go lighter and don't need to change lens mounts.

I don't think you can go wrong either way - in fact the Leica/Panasonic FF mirrorless cameras are also excellent.

I would also note that Sony has had stabilization in their cameras since the A7rii and it does make a noticeable difference and has only gotten better since then. Sony does own 25% of Olympus and Olympus is great at stabilization. There is some disagreement whether their tech has made it's way to Sony but it's noteworthy.

I would also note that Sony has had stabilization in their cameras since the A7rii and it does make a noticeable difference and has only gotten better since then. Sony does own 25% of Olympus and Olympus is great at stabilization. There is some disagreement whether their tech has made it's way to Sony but it's noteworthy.
It's so sad that Olympus basically left the game. They had a terrific Micro Four Thirds lineup: in body stabilization, good ergonomics and excellent small lenses required for a truly portable setup. Unfortunately the sensors are no longer up to speed. How about a new Sony sensor for a new MFT camera?

Went mirrorless back in 2011 with the original Sony NEX-3 with an APS-C sensor, then NEX-7 in 2013. I've also used an A6000 and now have a Full-Frame Sony A7rii and will likely upgrade next year to
an A7rV.

If I were to start all over again and wanted to stay with a Full-Frame I would stick with Sony mostly because then continue to be and have invested $billions in sensor technology and are continuously pushing the technology forward.. They also allow third party lenses and endless adaptors. I do at times enjoy shooting with a vintage lens. Sony also offers a much fuller range of native lenses and the latest G and GM ones are spectacular and manage to keep the size and weight down compared to Canon and Nikon. I will say that the competition is vastly stronger now that Canon and Nikon (finally) joined the FF mirrorless party which is a win for the consumer. Canon and Nikon are probably more intuitive to use and have better menu systems (but Sony is catching up - competition).

If I were to go to a cropped format (APS-C) only I would take a good look at Fuji. They dominate that market and their cameras are superb. I do like having a Sony FF plus a A6000 for when I want to go lighter and don't need to change lens mounts.

I don't think you can go wrong either way - in fact the Leica/Panasonic FF mirrorless cameras are also excellent.

I deff know I want full frame. No way I'm doing a crop sensor again. I have been looking at the Sony's. I have been looking at the A7 IV. I would love to have a R version but I also don't want to dump 3 grand into another camp when I might not want to stick around. At least with Canon I already have a supply of lens but again big and bulky but they will still get used. I'm only going to use primes in the parks anymore to keep my weight and size down. I figure if I love the R8 and am still eating the in camera stab then I will buy another body or upgrade if they add it down the road. Again I got to physically get that mark II and R8 in my hands to compare cause the Mark II is smaller than what I have now so maybe I won't care. But that R8 is pretty small.

If I understood your correctly at the start of the thread, big and bulky is an issue for you. With full frame, this comes with the territory. The cameras might get smaller (e.g. Sony A7C) but (zoom) lenses remain big and heavy - it's physics and a heavy lens on a smaller camera isn't nice to handle.

I regularly shoot with a Sony A7III, an A6400 and some older Panasonic & Olympus MFT. For regular travel photography it's hard to tell the difference from the photos - quality glass is more important than sensor size. Night shots are a different story.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything but if I'm not planing to shoot at night, I tend to leave the A7 and the big lenses at home.

If you insist on bringing the big gear: the Peak Design Capture Clip was a game changer for me to carry a larger camera.

If I understood your correctly at the start of the thread, big and bulky is an issue for you. With full frame, this comes with the territory. The cameras might get smaller (e.g. Sony A7C) but (zoom) lenses remain big and heavy - it's physics and a heavy lens on a smaller camera isn't nice to handle.

I regularly shoot with a Sony A7III, an A6400 and some older Panasonic & Olympus MFT. For regular travel photography it's hard to tell the difference from the photos - quality glass is more important than sensor size. Night shots are a different story.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything but if I'm not planing to shoot at night, I tend to leave the A7 and the big lenses at home.

If you insist on bringing the big gear: the Peak Design Capture Clip was a game changer for me to carry a larger camera.
If I decide to go small with the R8 I'm buying new prime lens to keep it small while in the parks and if on a trip. I can get away with carrying a few small primes with me and switching out. I am deff using the PD clip on a backpack. That will keep me as lean as possible I'm thinking. I'll use my zooms when I'm not concerned about weight. I walk now with primes on my camera and handle myself fine I feel.

ok here is where I am settling. I'm going to buy after xmas cause we got alot going on right now with xmas and 2 upcoming Disney trips.

sony a7c II. I don't mind the viewfinder. It's fine for me. Small but I'll get over it. Quality of it compared to a really good one. Doesn't matter. It shows the image I'm shooting. If it was bigger yah would be nice but not a game changer.

I'm going to start with the sony g master 35 mm 1.4 and the sony g master 50 mm 1.4. Last time I started with cheaper glass but ended up buying L lens so this time I'm going straight to the good glass. I'll get the 85 when I sell my old gear.

Oh my, I have gone to the dark side myself. R6mII and 14-35L due here Wednesday. Holidays prices pretty unbeatable saving me $800. Now I just have to make time to shoot again.

Just jumped into mirrorless with the Nikon fzc.
Bought it mainly for the retro look and it's super light with the kit lens.
So far, it's a fun little camera!
Not getting rid of my DSLR anytime too soon though.

I bought a Canon R5 a while back. I think mirrorless is definitely a better option than a DSLR. But I agree with Walt34 that full frame and bulky go together. I often leave my camera get at home for trips because I don't want to carry it with me. In fact, I'm going to New Zealand for a month and I plan to bring a GoPro, an Insta360 X3, an Osmo Pocket 3, and my phone, but not my R5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter