Going while pregnant

chisnpeke

<font color=blue>Got the blues on purple tag night
Hi all,

I will be 21/22 weeks pregnant while on my cruise. My doctor said if I want to go i should go. I am not high risk. I had someone comment that I shouldn’t go. Anyone here gone and had a great time? Able to swim and snorkel and do all the low impact activities and everything turn out fine? My anxiety is taking over now that I saw that person’s comment.

Thank you!

No experience re what you are asking but you may require paperwork as guests who are 24 weeks along or enter their 24th week during the cruise would not be permitted to sail.

I did a 3-night cruise when roughly 20 weeks pregnant twenty years ago, following a Walt Disney World stay, and had a great time. I did not go swimming, but that was a personal preference, not because I was pregnant. I did get a hydrotherapy spa treatment (which, unfortunately, is no longer offered). I found the cruise more comfortable than the parks, because I could go back to the room to rest without interrupting plans for the rest of my family. My son was just over 4, and we didn’t get off the ship in Nassau.

The only risk to being on a cruise rather than anywhere else is the limited medical care if you have complications. If you are low risk and your physician has no concerns, I wouldn’t be concerned about other people’s qualms.

I did a cruise when I was 17 weeks pregnant (pre-pandemic). I agree that in terms of physical stress, a cruise is much better than the parks or really most other vacations that aren't just going somewhere and plopping. The challenge in getting medical care has already been stated and that's really up to you and your comfort level, but I absolutely don't think it would be reckless for you to decide to go. Disney sets the rules about when to cut off acceptable pregnancy progression based on calculated risk; if you legitimately fall into the allowed window, you'll probably be fine.

In terms of the overall experience, it's hard not to enjoy a Disney cruise. I won't lie, I was a bit sad to not be able to do all the things I normally enjoy (alcohol tastings, hot tubs, etc). But then again, I would 100% take that over not doing a cruise at all, and once baby arrives, you will likely not be cruising for at least another six months since you can't take young infants. There are still plenty of activities you can enjoy, delicious food, and a chance to really relax before your life gets topsy turvy.

You should do what you feel makes sense for you though -- people on the internet (or anywhere else) have every possible opinion, don't let some rando spoil your trip if you've cleared it with your doctor and it's something that would bring you joy!

People have widely ranging views on what pregnant people should and shouldn't do. Ultimately if your doctor declares that you are clear to go and you aren't too far along for Disney's requirements (which is 24 weeks) then others' opinions are pretty irrelevant.

Only you know how you feel. Every pregnancy is different. if you feel well, your doctor clears you, you are not restricted by Disney? Why not? What may or may not happen-no one knows. A great place to relax and enjoy before the baby comes. And true- you can rest while others in your party are out and about. Do what is best for you!

I think the challenge is you won’t know how you will be doing at that stage in the pregnancy until it is too late to cancel. I had two pretty brutal pregnancies and a “babymoon” was never an option for me—I was hooked up to IVs, on modified bed rest, vomiting 20 times a day, had gestational diabetes that severely restricted my diet, and overall felt like absolute hell 24/7. In contrast my friend who was going through pregnancy at the same time as me (same age, weight, and overall health going into the pregnancy), felt amazing, did yoga, vacations, ate anything she wanted and loved being pregnant.

I don’t know how far along you are now and maybe if the cruise is close enough you already know you’re having an easy pregnancy and don’t have to worry about being like me. But if we are talking about months from now a lot can change and I’d hesitate to book something nonrefundable like a cruise.

I was a walking talking vomit comet for my first pregnancy and a good part of my second. I tolerated a land trip to NYC for the first one (and it literally occurred over the small period I was *fine*) but I got super car sick on the saw mill and the merritt parkways and I NEVER get car sick. No way I would have tolerated being on a boat at all.

If we're talking something that's a couple weeks away and you feel fine, you're probably ok. But if you're staring at PIF in the coming days, I don't know if I would take the chance.

I would also consider where the cruise is going and where you would be comfortable receiving medical care if there is an issue.
I was in the Navy for 20 years, and the written rule was that a Sailor couldn't remain onboard past 20 weeks. I can tell you that every Commanding Officer I knew had that pregnant Sailor off the ship as soon as possible, usually in days, because they did not want the responsibility. As a medical person on board, I felt the same way even though some of our ships had full clinics and operating rooms. I digress.
If you are comfortable, that is fully up to you. Perhaps look into the medical capabilities in the ports just to add to your peace of mind. I don't know which cruise you are taking, or the length, but a 3-nt out of Port Canaveral is very different from some of the longer cruises with several ports.
Whatever you decide, best of luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy. Wishing you a healthy and beautiful baby!

If your doctor is cool with it, go! I'd take it easy. Hang by the pool, some easy snorkeling close to shore, etc.

I live in FL and spent practically my entire pregnancy in the ocean and/or pool ;)

So this is a choice only you and your doctor can make. I am not trying to scare you or push you one way or not but you just never know what may happen. With my second pregnancy at 22 weeks I went into early labor (I was not high risk/no warning signs at all). I ended up having a still birth. With my subsequent pregnancy, I had a cerclage at 13 weeks to prevent this happening again. But still at 22 weeks, the same situation started to happen again. I was then put on bedrest from 22 weeks to 29 weeks. Again not trying to scare you but my advice would be to not go at that stage of pregnancy.

I would also consider where the cruise is going and where you would be comfortable receiving medical care if there is an issue.
I was in the Navy for 20 years, and the written rule was that a Sailor couldn't remain onboard past 20 weeks. I can tell you that every Commanding Officer I knew had that pregnant Sailor off the ship as soon as possible, usually in days, because they did not want the responsibility. As a medical person on board, I felt the same way even though some of our ships had full clinics and operating rooms. I digress.
If you are comfortable, that is fully up to you. Perhaps look into the medical capabilities in the ports just to add to your peace of mind. I don't know which cruise you are taking, or the length, but a 3-nt out of Port Canaveral is very different from some of the longer cruises with several ports.
Whatever you decide, best of luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy. Wishing you a healthy and beautiful baby!
Adding on to this, also make sure you have a passport (as opposed to just cruising with a birth certificate). If you do need to leave the ship to receive medical care on land, you'll then likely need your passport to get back into the U.S.

Hi all,

I will be 21/22 weeks pregnant while on my cruise. My doctor said if I want to go i should go. I am not high risk. I had someone comment that I shouldn’t go. Anyone here gone and had a great time? Able to swim and snorkel and do all the low impact activities and everything turn out fine? My anxiety is taking over now that I saw that person’s comment.

Thank you!
The Doctor's approval is the first concern, and any cruise line restrictions second concern.
My wife was 26 weeks along with our first child when we cruised on RCCL. At that time they did not have any restrictions on pregnant passengers and her Doctor thought it was a great idea. She swam, and snorkeled and danced at the disco.....although other dancers did give her a wide berth. Our son LOVED when sea conditions were rough. The ship would go left, our son would go right, my wife had her own stabilization system.
Our son is 36 now and for some reason has always been obsessed with water. Wonder why?

Like with the pandemic, travel insurance, in the end you have to do what you feel comfortable with, what is your risk tolerance? For some peole this is low, for some people this is high.

If your doctor approves, the cruiseline allows it, and you are comfortable with it: do it.
If your doctor approves, the cruiseline allows it, and you are hesitant and constantly thinking 'what if': don't do it. Mainly because you won't be able to fully relax and enjoy your cruise.

I'm curious as to why someone said you shouldn't go. Everyone has their own opinions on what pregnant people should and shouldn't do, and most of them are irrelevant unless they are the pregnant person or the doctor. As previous posters said, make sure you're aware of what could happen if you have a medical issue in a port. But that could literally happen to anyone.

Hi all,

Thank you!
Did you require a doctor note?
I couldn’t find the form and I called and they told me no doctor note is required..
figure I better bring one anyways.

Did you require a doctor note?
I couldn’t find the form and I called and they told me no doctor note is required..
figure I better bring one anyways.
No doctor's notes are accepted. They may ask if you've entered your 24th week (or will be entering it during your cruise), but they have to take what you say as gospel.

If a pregnant passenger isn't truthful regarding this information, and something were to happen during the cruise, causing injury/death to either mother or baby, then it's on her, not the cruise line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter