Good News for Dan! *Update Page 5* Just heard from Carleton

Especially to you parents. My oldest is only 14 and off to High School this September, but 17 is going to come so quickly (with a lot of big stuff in between!). I can't believe the decisions and angst you Mom's (& Dad's!) have to go thru so soon along with your children.

I agree with DisneyLisa about keeping those options open. Once summer (& often the experience of working in a summer job you probably don't wish to do for the rest of your days) passes & that back-to-school excitement is in the Fall air your child may well be ready to go along with several peers. Pretty exciting time. And if she isn't ready -- well a little push & she goes anyway because you did pay your deposit. Reassess after fall term or again end of year. At least you can all say you tried and not wonder what you missed on such a life-altering experience. (This is a lot easier to do, of course, if money was no object! LOL!)

You said it, CdnMom2! If only money were no object for that first year to see if they like it or not.

I know Dan would like to go to Waterloo because some of his friends will be there but he's not sure about the Honours Fine Art now. He really wanted something with more computer design applications involved and it's hard to tell what electronic imaging I and II in the course choices are. I guess we'll have to phone the Faculty of Arts and ask some questions as it does list Digital Media. I just got off the phone with Carleton to find out what was happening with his app for the second program (Bachelor of Information Technology Interactive Media and Design) he applied for (he's decided that he's not interested in the "alternate" Carleton has offered in place of the first program he applied for, as he might as well go to Waterloo). The BIT program just says "decision pending" but now there's a date of May 27 on it, so she says a decision will be made "soon". They are supposed to call back within 48 hours with some kind of answer. I also spoke with him about taking the Arts at Waterloo, maybe just go for the 3yr BA instead, and then apply to Sheridan College for a post-grad course in Interactive Multimedia. Either that or stay another semester in high school and try to get his mark high enough for the program he really wanted at Western. The only thing is the enrollment is extremely limited.

Lisa, what programs did your DS switch from at university to college for and what made him change his mind? I almost think these kids need to work a year before deciding on post-secondary education. Even 18 is still young to be making these decisions. At least I'll be better prepared for Tim (I hope).

I'm here sitting in front of the computer (researching) spending hours trying to help Dan make the "right" decision. ;)

Wow...what timing Julie...looks like we posted at the same time ;). Guess now I know you're still "out there".

LOL, great timing! Yes, I've still been following along with everyone else's decision-making processes.

Edited to add: Just looking at Fanshawe's Multi Media Design and Production Program. Another choice he could do is take the 3yr BA at Waterloo and the 2yr Diploma at Fanshawe which is one year more than the combined 4 yr program at Western/Fanshawe. It wouldn't be exactly the same but maybe close enough for him to get what he wants.

Julie: He's now taking Computer Engineering Technology at Algonquin College (a 3 year program). He originally planned to do Engineering at Carleton but decided University wasn't for him. He's wanted to be an Engineer (like his Dad & Grandad) since he was really little but now feels College is more "applied" than University and thinks it's a better "fit" for him. This is a kid with "lots of brains" (aces all his tests & exams) but "very little" desire to do school work (it's a fight to get him to do assignments) so he's probably right...he's more "hands on". It was a bit of a shock for us when he made the decison but we realize that not everyone can or has to attend University so as long as he's doing something he's happy with, that's great...we actually think he has made the right decision (& it's cheaper than University too...bonus ;) ;))

I hate to see them work a year after high school because a lot of kids get a "taste" of money and don't go back to school...& they don't realize how important an education is until later in life. I know that doesn't apply to all kids but I'd rather they attend some type of school if at all possible. I also know we can't protect & guide them forever but I'm trying to do as much as I can get away with ;).

Lisa, I think Dan is very much a "hands on" person too. That's why he's not so sure about Waterloo now or the BA being offered him from Carleton. He'd like a University Degree and that's why he was so interested in the Western/Fanshawe program ~ the best of both worlds. Maybe Carleton will come through and give him that choice. The BIT is not only based on marks but also a portfolio.

Good Luck to Dan...be sure to post when you hear :). You're going to need a holiday in WDW after all this Julie ;).

Those of you who have made your choice...

We have a long weekend ahead at our house.

For my Daughter it is now down to Quuen's Applied Science (Engineering) and Waterloo Meccatronics (All aspects of Engineering)

We are at a loss as to what to do...

Some advise Waterloo
Some advise Queen's

For some reason the 'powers that be' at her school seem to be 'encouraging' Queen's...Saying Waterloo is gruelling and co-op is long, tedious with few breaks...also making it a 5 year course.

Others say Queen's is a pressure cooker!

Life was simple before all of this!!
:(

Pooh BWV - I'm sorry to hear that your DD doesn't want to attend university this year. It must be hard for you to watch her turn down the opportunities and scholarships. Good luck to everyone who has to help their kids with one of the biggest decisions of their lives. It's reassuring to come here and see that I'm not the only one worrying about this. I kept thinking today "next week at this time it will be settled." And I guess, no matter what they decide - it's only one year out of their lives. They can always transfer to another university next year or do something else if they choose. It's just that if they choose wrong, it's a lot of money. . .

Dan just got another offer of admission to Waterloo in the mail today. It's Honours Geography, I guess because he didn't get in for Architecture. It's the same faculty ~ Environmental Studies. He's not interested in it at all, but it's nice that they sent him an alternate. I think the only reason he applied to Arch. is because it's design oriented ~ not that he really wanted to become an Architect. His friend did get in at Waterloo, but he's wanted to be an Architect all his life and had a reference from a top Architect in Toronto that he knows.

Something else to add to the mix! :rolleyes:

NancyK: I think that when DD17 sees DD19 going away, she is going to regret her decision, but in the end it has to be her decision. She is starting to think about interior design, but has not taken senior level art which she will need, so it may be back to high school next year for her to get that. I think more than anything she just needs another year to grow up and feel more ready to live on her own. You're right, it is an expensive mistake if she goes and either doesn't like what she is taking, or cannot handle living away from home yet.

Just curious, does anyone know anything about switching Universities after you've started with one?

I just got call from Carleton ~ I phoned them last week to find out what was happening with Dan's second choice there since he didn't want the alternate they were offering him for his first choice.

They told me that he has been accepted at Carleton, into his second choice, Bachelor of Information Technology, Interactive Media and Design, a new innovative program which gives him a BA degree plus a diploma from Algonquin College. Now he has to decide whether he still wants to go to Waterloo, take the Fine Arts program then go to college for 1 or 2 years for Interactive Media and Design or go to Carleton!

Lisa, we haven't even been to Carleton ~ what is it like?

Waterloo or Carleton, oh boy! It's good to finally get the news but he had started thinking that he would be going to Waterloo and rooming with his buddy, even though he still wasn't sure about the Fine Arts program. Now he's :confused:

Congratulations on the Carleton news. My DS has chosen U of Ottawa over Waterloo. I'll be sad that he's so far away, but I'm glad he's made the decision. We visited Ottawa a week ago, and I love the city.

Congratulations to Dan :).

Carleton is a really nice University Julie, and is situated along the Rideau Canal (if he likes to skate, it's the world's longest outdoor skating rink...he can skate all the way to the Parliament Buildings and Beavertails are sold all along there in the winter...closer than WDW ;)).

Ottawa has a huge High Tech sector and is known as "Silicon Valley North" so the "High Tech" programs in the Universities & Colleges are gaining a lot of attention, funding & recognition (Carleton just got some MAJOR funding by a U.S. high tech company...was in last week's paper but I can't remember all the details)...I think it would be a great program. Carleton is a relatively "new" University and is coming up a lot in the "rankings". I would say he'd be better off doing the combined Carleton/Algonquin program, but as a mother, I'd prefer it if he stayed closer to home (so I'm not much help ;)). It's going to be his decision though so he'll have to give it some thought.

If you have any other questions about Ottawa, feel free to ask (& good luck to Dan with his decision) :).

Congrats to your DS Nancy on making his decision. If Dan chooses Carleton I can feel a DIS meet coming ;) :teeth:. I'll be sure to bring lots of kleenex along for you (being the old pro that I am at leaving a son behind ;)).

Me too Lisa, but I'll be sad even if he chooses Waterloo.

Lisa, I have a few questions: How far away is Algonquin from Carleton? Since your son is going to Algonquin, what did you think of the college? I have to phone Carleton back and ask how the students get to their classes at the college.

What is available for residence once they have completed their first year ~ is there lots of housing close by? I read that they can reapply for residence the next year but their marks have to be there too.

What is the city bus system like? Dan may or may not pass his G2 in August but either way, will not have a car.

Thanks for the info on Ottawa's High Tech notariety. I am concerned about Dan's job prospects when he graduates from university.

Nancy I'm glad to hear that you liked Ottawa. I've never been although we have often thought about going. I guess we all thought Dan would be going to Western. I'll know better with Tim! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter