good socks for Florida

pixieprincess925

I can't get to Disney soon enough!
DH consistently has problems with blisters developing on the bottom/back of his heel when we come to Florida - especially on park days. He typically is wearing the shoes fitted for running, and his insoles. The only time he has the blister problem is when we're a WDW and it's hot. He wears smartwool socks on those days, so they are moisture wicking/

So my question is - have you found any socks that help prevent blisters this problem?

I can't wear socks if it is hot, so I do sandals. For runDisney races in Florida I wear thin Smartwool or Balega socks and haven't had blister issues. In addition to looking into socks, it might help him to use some vaseline or body glide on those hot spots on his feet.

it might help him to use some vaseline or body glide on those hot spots on his feet.
^^This^^

I keep an extra little thing of Body Glide next to the chair where I put on my shoes before I leave my room at Disney so I remember to coat my feet before I go.

Blisters are caused by two things—pressure and friction. Lots of things can contribute to blisters, such as shoes that are too big or too tight, sweat causing the foot to slip and rub, swelling of the feet, etc. I don’t think this is a sock issue. The information you provided is pretty limited. You say he’s wearing shoes “fitted for running.” I’m not really sure what that means. I usually get my running shoes 1/2 size up from my normal size. It sounds like your husband is getting heel slippage causing blisters in that area. You could either try a runners knot for better lockdown, or a shoe more true to size.

Blisters are caused by two things—pressure and friction. Lots of things can contribute to blisters, such as shoes that are too big or too tight, sweat causing the foot to slip and rub, swelling of the feet, etc. I don’t think this is a sock issue. The information you provided is pretty limited. You say he’s wearing shoes “fitted for running.” I’m not really sure what that means. I usually get my running shoes 1/2 size up from my normal size. It sounds like your husband is getting heel slippage causing blisters in that area. You could either try a runners knot for better lockdown, or a shoe more true to size.
Good catch! I would never wear my running shoes for park walking as I don't want the extra wear on them, but the size-up issue would definitely come into play if I considered it.

I second the Belaga socks. I'm not a runner but they are pretty much all I wear in the summer. My favorite are the Hidden Comfort line. They are the only no show socks I've ever had that did not fall down the back of my heel, or slide on the ball of my foot.

They do have a little compression to them. They don't run small but they can be tighter then normal socks. I have some in my size and some in a size up. Both fit fine and I've had no problems with hot spots or blisters since I switched.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter