Goodbye 'Ohana

Eating at ‘Ohana for the first time in about 68 hours. We aren’t high maintenance people but we have a large group going (11) and 8 of them have never been to WDW. I don’t worry about being rushed as it’s a family style meal, you can just eat at whatever pace, but I do hope the server comes round to refill drinks as we plan on having a few adult beverages to kick off vacation. Would be a bummer to be sitting there without service.

I hope your meal was wonderful.

I am always a bit perplexed when I read about people being rushed there. Not that I don’t believe them, but our experience has always been the exact opposite where we wound up spending hours there.

We've eaten here once or twice. We aren't in any hurry to go back. We don't have any real complaints...it just didn't live up to the hype.

We've eaten here once or twice. We aren't in any hurry to go back. We don't have any real complaints...it just didn't live up to the hype.

That sums it up for me. It wasn’t bad. It was just okay. And there are so many great places to choose from, I don’t really feel the need to settle for ‘okay’....

Especially for $60+
I've been going there since my daughter was 6 for breakfast- she is now 24 3/4 and I can also attest to the service/overall atmosphere changing from what we knew back then. I have recommended throughout the years the character breakfast because it is so much fun for the little kiddies to take pics with Stitch and friends, and the little parade they do is really cute - but pricing and service? Definitely not what I'm ok with spending when, as stated earlier, there are so many other places now to choose from... for me it's nostalgia going back, but I can't justify being THAT nostalgic for what it is today - hopefully that will change at some point.

We have always enjoyed breakfast here. My son and his family loved their character breakfast. Have never been here for dinner

My wife and I have always had a place in our heart for 'Ohana. We first ate here 12 years ago when we got engaged, we ate here for our first anniversary 10 years ago, and we have eaten here numerous anniversaries since. Over the last 4 years we have eaten here at least once a year with daughter for both breakfast and dinner. Last night as we celebrated our 11th anniversary with dinner at 'Ohana, we both decided we will not be back.

I understand restaurants change over time, but I have noticed a trend with 'Ohana over the last few years when it comes to service and it has not improved. When we arrived I went to podium to check in while my wife took our daughter to the bathroom. I got us both a beer at the Tambu Loungue and then I got the text that our table was ready... that was awesome. We got seated and immediately was brought the salad while the waitress introduced us to the restaurant and we ordered our daughter a kids meal. As the waitress left, her helper brought us the skillet with the noodles, veggies, chicken wings, and potstickers. It seemed a little fast but we finished our plate of salad and just as we started to get food out of the skillet onto our plates, our waitress comes along with the skewers. Now I remember last year feeling rushed but not like this. I looked at my phone and realized we haven’t even been seated for 5 minutes and the meats were already coming out. This leads me to the chicken... The chicken was border line inedible. It didn’t cut like chicken or even taste like chicken. The meat just seemed like fat pieces so I asked for another piece when she came back around and it was the same thing. The steak was perfect and the winner of the night. As they brought around the steak my beer was empty and they never once offered to refill even when they came around with the shrimp. Yes I could have asked for a refill but I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers. My wife could tell I was aggravated and she even said she couldn’t believe how rushed she felt. When we are paying out of pocket at $50 a piece, I can not justify coming here anymore. It’s a shame because this restaurant has been a special place for us for a long time. I hope they can get things turned around but I think this is all about turning over tables as quickly as possible.
So you think I should stick with hoopbdee dooo dinner and not ohana ??

So you think I should stick with hoopbdee dooo dinner and not ohana ??
Two different family friendly meals and both loved by many with of course dissenters. We've been to both and enjoyed both. I'd pick the one that sounds most appealing to my family and that day's schedule.

We won't be going back anytime soon to O'hana, and I just bought AP's that we'll start using in November. We went in December 2017 on the DDP. I would have been upset if we were paying out of pocket. The food was so-so, the waiter was terrible. I ordered a drink that didn't come out until dessert. And speaking of the dessert, they didn't bring the sauce for it, and when we pointed it out, they just apologized and never brought it.

I have only done ohana for breakfast. Our last trip last summer was excellent and looking forward to going again in a few weeks on our next adventure. The pineapple bread has haunted my dreams for 10 months...

We've been three times. First time (about 8 years ago?) was really good. Second time a bit less good, last time (about 1.5 years ago) was blah. Food wasn't as good and service was pretty slow. Not returning for our 2020 trip.

Just ate there this past Feb for the first time in a couple years and I can attest that the service was absolutely horrible and we were rushed. The food was far from fresh. It's disappointing but as it stands I will definitely not be back.

I hope your meal was wonderful.

I am always a bit perplexed when I read about people being rushed there. Not that I don’t believe them, but our experience has always been the exact opposite where we wound up spending hours there.
Thanks, it was! Food came out quickly but since it’s family style and not coursed dining we just ate whatever, took a break, kids did the broom race, ordered another drink. We were there probably 1.5 hours and had a good experience. And I learned I loooove the backscratcher and prefer it to the lapu lapu for sure. Tables in wonderland saved us over $100 so we thought the value was there.

It was our last trip as a family of 4 and our last night and it was supposed to be special, but did not turn out as I had hoped, service was horrible, found out later we had a new CM. My daughter ate nothing, they finally brought her a few chicken nuggets and she was 16 at the time. My husband gasped at the bill after he finished eating. Sadly that was our last disney meal together. He passed away this past February. My daughter and I will be going back to Disney , we love Ohana Breakfast and will be there in December.

My wife and I have always had a place in our heart for 'Ohana. We first ate here 12 years ago when we got engaged, we ate here for our first anniversary 10 years ago, and we have eaten here numerous anniversaries since. Over the last 4 years we have eaten here at least once a year with daughter for both breakfast and dinner. Last night as we celebrated our 11th anniversary with dinner at 'Ohana, we both decided we will not be back.

I understand restaurants change over time, but I have noticed a trend with 'Ohana over the last few years when it comes to service and it has not improved. When we arrived I went to podium to check in while my wife took our daughter to the bathroom. I got us both a beer at the Tambu Loungue and then I got the text that our table was ready... that was awesome. We got seated and immediately was brought the salad while the waitress introduced us to the restaurant and we ordered our daughter a kids meal. As the waitress left, her helper brought us the skillet with the noodles, veggies, chicken wings, and potstickers. It seemed a little fast but we finished our plate of salad and just as we started to get food out of the skillet onto our plates, our waitress comes along with the skewers. Now I remember last year feeling rushed but not like this. I looked at my phone and realized we haven’t even been seated for 5 minutes and the meats were already coming out. This leads me to the chicken... The chicken was border line inedible. It didn’t cut like chicken or even taste like chicken. The meat just seemed like fat pieces so I asked for another piece when she came back around and it was the same thing. The steak was perfect and the winner of the night. As they brought around the steak my beer was empty and they never once offered to refill even when they came around with the shrimp. Yes I could have asked for a refill but I knew I was being rushed and I just felt very uncomfortable with the vibe I was getting from the servers. My wife could tell I was aggravated and she even said she couldn’t believe how rushed she felt. When we are paying out of pocket at $50 a piece, I can not justify coming here anymore. It’s a shame because this restaurant has been a special place for us for a long time. I hope they can get things turned around but I think this is all about turning over tables as quickly as possible.
Unfortunately I have to agree. Ohana was a MUST do for years. I seriously cancelled and moved a trip because I couldn’t get an ADR once. (Only moved it one week back because I missed our ADR day). Sometimes while staying at the POLY we would eat there multiple times. We have noticed a steady decline over the years, but still went back. The past 2 times were just bad. This last time in September we agreed never again. Our March trip was the first time in 15 years we didn’t go to Ohana.:sad:

Are you saying they removed the bread pudding?

oh, no, I don't think so, but I am upset that they HAVE the bread pudding, as the pineapple/caramel dessert we had before the bread pudding was AMAZING and perfect after eating all those meats....

The problem with this place is you can get a good night or you can get a horrid night. It's very inconsistent. But it's also way too high priced to risk the "we suck tonight" experience so I recommend skipping it!

I feel like we go every trip for the last 10-15 years and it has always been amazing for us. I don't think we have ever had a bad night.

I think the key word is "consistency." We were there a few months ago. The food was good (loved some things, iffy on others) but that can happen anywhere. Service was superb. But what surprised me the most is how relaxed the dinner was. Having read so many post about being rushed, and food coming out all at once, I was anticipating having to ask our CM to slow down. Not necessary. We ate at our own pace, never felt pressured, and the CM was remarkably responsive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter