• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian concierge or Disneyland Hotel on Points?

tvwalsh

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Now that both hotels are "on sale" with DVC points. I need to choose between DL Concierge and Grand Californian Concierge. I need two rooms for four nights. The difference is 11 points per room per night or 88 points total.
I do have enough points.

Is GC worth the extra points?

Are the concierge services the same in both?

I know I am going to be the odd man out on this one but my vote is DL. We love GC and have stayed twice Concierge there, but...since the rehab of rooms at DL a few years ago we LOVE it there. The decor is so nice and the rooms seem larger to me (not sure if they are, but they seem to be). It is nice to be closer to the parks as GC is, but my vote is still for DL. The services in my experience have been comprable to each other. You really can't go wrong with either they are both well worth it.

We were just at DLH in July and at GC back when in '01. I'd go for GC. It's beautiful, and walking right into DCA is kinda neat. The lobby is amazing, and the restaurants are very nice. DL is nice too, no mistake, but it's not as "Disney" IMHO.

You might want to double check on what the conciege level consists of at both hotels as several people have posted in the past that it doesn't have nearly as many perks as concierge @ WDW.

I have really seen some negative comments on Trip Advisor pertaining to the Disneyland Hotel. All kinds of issues (cleanliness, decor, bedding, etc.). Many said the value for the cost just wasn't there.

Those of you who have actually stayed at the hotel, what were your impressions? Would really like to know as I am planning a trip in the very near future.

Thanks.

As I said, we were at DLH for the 50th in July. The rooms are recently redone (at leas ours was!). We found it very nice. The pool has a Peter Pan theme, the waterfall area is very nice to explore, and Granville's has a great (unadvertised!) breakfast. I still prefer the GC, but we found DLH great.

I've stayed in both recently, and they are both great. The "themeing" in the GC is better. It has very much of the feel of the WL. It's also closer to the parks, and it's really nice being able to get directly in DCA. Sounds like you have a pretty big group, and for a 4 night stay, you'll appreciate the convenience of the GC.

I disagree with the comments about DLH's cleanliness. It's really nice. The rooms are actually bigger too and the in-room theming is nicer. Plus, the building that has the concierge in it is the best located building -- closest of the three towers to the parks. If you like character meals, the best one at DL is in the DLH.

All in all, GC is better. How much better? Depends I guess on how you value 88 points. To me, that sounds like about $800 to $1000 in cash value. That's a lot of money to me, but that's pretty much in line with the cash reservation difference between DLH and GC for 8 nights (or 4x2) -- actually maybe a little better. Can't go wrong either way. If you're in the mood to slurge, go GC.

tvwalsh said:
Now that both hotels are "on sale" with DVC points. I need to choose between DL Concierge and Grand Californian Concierge. I need two rooms for four nights. The difference is 11 points per room per night or 88 points total.
I do have enough points.

Is GC worth the extra points?

Are the concierge services the same in both?

Stayed at GC concierge in September on points. It worked out to a 20% discount over the best available cash reservation price when we booked and that was before the reduced point requirements. Unfortunately they only reduced DL hotel points before our trip -- we decided to stay with GC even though we could have changed reservations and recovered points.

We prefer GC when at DL because of its superior theming. DL hotel will have the largest rooms. Nothing at DL is terribly removed from the action. Although GC private entrance into CA is very convenient.

GC concierge is nice but not to the standards of WDW concierge in our opinion. Then neither is as good as a Ritz.

DLH has a wonderful Disney theme to it - children adore it! The Neverland pool is a must see, and Gppfy's Kitchen is one of the best character meals at the resort. The rooms are a bit bigger, and everyone we know that has stayed there has really enjoyed themselves. The hotel doesn't have it's own entrance to either park - but the walk is minimal. Usually - one would just walk to the Monorail station at DTD and take the Monorail into Tomorrowland.. You may want to check DL's rehab schedule, however, because I know that the Monorail there is going down for an extended rehab quite soon - extended meaning almost a year - and could really affect how much walking you'd be doing from the hotel.
GC is gorgeous. The grounds are beautiful. Arts and Crafts style decor, grand lobby, great on-site restaurants, exclusive entrance to DCA, and a closer walk to DL. The pool area is absolutely beautiful. As a whole, and only in our experience, young children were not as attracted to the resort becasue it had less of a Disney feel to it than the DLH. The rooms are smaller than DLH, and a few people on the Disneyland Boards here have complained that they were so much smaller that they would never stay there again..... but you know how complaints on the boards go!
You probably can't go wrong whichever you choose - they are both wonderful resorts, right in DTD and really close to the parks - nothing is spread out like WDW. Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter