• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

I called Costco travel today and upgraded my December trip to partial theme park view. After making the decision to postpone my February WDW trip to 2023, I thought I would treat us to an upgrade for Disneyland. Does anyone have experience with that view and what “partial” really means?
I think you can expect upper floors facing into DCA, either in the wings on the Napa Rose side, or the smaller wing next to Goofy's Sky School. Partial means you can't see the entire Park, and it's likely filtered by trees in some directions.

Sorry, I don't know which user to credit for this map. Green areas... Edit: thank you @Nonsuch !

Last edited:
I think you can expect upper floors facing into DCA, either in the wings on the Napa Rose side, or the smaller wing next to Goofy's Sky School. Partial means you can't see the entire Park, and it's likely filtered by a trees in some directions.

Sorry, I don't know which user to credit for this map. Green areas...

View attachment 603728

Thank you - this is very helpful!

RunnerMom71 said:
We've had a shower every time since the remodel. You can call the week before you arrive to make the request for a tub!
Thank you! We check in next Thursday so I’ll call today :goodvibes
Would love to know if you were able to get a tub and if it was a renovated room.
I'm debating on whether or not it's worth making this request. Or just deal with getting our toddler taking a shower instead of a bath. I'm far more concern of the room size than anything else.

Would love to know if you were able to get a tub and if it was a renovated room.
I'm debating on whether or not it's worth making this request. Or just deal with getting our toddler taking a shower instead of a bath. I'm far more concern of the room size than anything else.

Years, I mean decades, ago with a 'shower-averse' toddler, we would pack an inflatable baby bath & a large plastic cup. Filled the tub with water from the shower. It wasn't really big enough for a bigger toddler to sit in but it did hold enough water to be able to wet them down standing, wash, then rinse them using the cup. Our youngest as a toddler was fine with showers as long as one of us got in and showered with him. We'd shower him first, then the other parent would takeover and get him ready for bed.

All rooms have been renovated, and are the same size (except 39 standard view rooms near the lobby are slightly larger). Many rooms have tubs (~30%?) spread through the hotel, so you should make a request

Years, I mean decades, ago with a 'shower-averse' toddler, we would pack an inflatable baby bath & a large plastic cup. Filled the tub with water from the shower. It wasn't really big enough for a bigger toddler to sit in but it did hold enough water to be able to wet them down standing, wash, then rinse them using the cup. Our youngest as a toddler was fine with showers as long as one of us got in and showered with him. We'd shower him first, then the other parent would takeover and get him ready for bed.
Thanks for the tips! We’ve done it before and also with our eldest. Just a process.
But we can just deal with it either way

All rooms have been renovated, and are the same size (except 39 standard view rooms near the lobby are slightly larger). Many rooms have tubs (~30%?) spread through the hotel, so you should make a request
Thanks. Good to know! We’ve stayed 4 different times. 3 before the renovation and it felt like different sizes but may be just how it felt depending on the beds. 2 With the bunk beds, 2 queens only, 2 queens and a day bed…

I’ve never made a request but will try it. The (renovated) 2 queens only was near the PPH gate/walkway felt the smallest. The bunk bed room near Goofy’s fly school felt bigger. (I may have gotten an unexpected upgrade)

We ended up taking our chances and didn’t request a tub. When we got our room there was no tub but I liked the location (very close to the Napa Rose elevators), so we didn’t ask about switching rooms. It was my toddler’s first time taking a shower and he did fine. It actually ended up being faster than giving a bath, so that was nice after the long days when we just wanted to get to bed.

Can someone currently staying at the Grand (or recently stayed) share the pool/slide hours? I just cancelled our half-day cabana rental since our inbound flight was pushed back (again). The CM said the pool hours are generally 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in October but the slide hours vary. We want to make sure we plan at least some pool time during our stay ... though we won't have a designated pool day anymore. Thanks!

When booking for any fo the Disneyhotels....how does the Magic Key discount apply? Does it show up at check out?

Can't believe I missed that when getting the Dream Key. Looks like Disney snuck one passed us. Free parking, discounts for purchases and dining. But no DLR lodging discounts. :mad:

Can't believe I missed that when getting the Dream Key. Looks like Disney snuck one passed us. Free parking, discounts for purchases and dining. But no DLR lodging discounts. :mad:
If it makes you feel any better, they didn't offer hotel discounts to passholders before except as specific promotions like the fall special. Maybe a long time back they did, but I honestly don't remember, if so. Some of the other hotels like Hojo gave AP discounts, though.

Hey, does anyone know if:

1) They're back to daily housekeeping in the rooms? (Not club or villa, just the regular old $800/night rack rate rooms. lol.)

2) They have room service, especially for breakfast? (Our strategy has always been to get room service at the earliest possible time, then eat while we're getting ready to line up at the gate.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter