Grand Californian Super Thread

I called GCH over the weekend as we were booked the second week of November and wanted to know if “all” decor including the gingerbread house would be up. She stated that they will complete all decorations during the weekend after Thanksgiving. We rescheduled to the second week of December which is when we stayed last year. Very magical.

Here now. Have a Partial Downtown Disney View room booked. We are on the 4th floor, right above the World of Disney and tram loading area, almost at the end of the building.

We did mobile check in. Room was ready at 2pm.

The room has a front on, perfect view of the fireworks, which was great last night. Unfortunately, it is a loud room. We were woken up at 7am by the tram horns and the music that you can absolutely hear even with the slider closed. We were running a fan on high for white noise but it wasn't enough. Be aware that these DtD rooms are LOUD at this end of the wing. Napping in this room would be problematic. Thankfully we don't usually need naps.

Everything else has been great so far. Pool wasn't crowded yesterday at 4 and we easily found chairs. There was a pool party from 4:30-5 with Pluto and Minnie. The little kids seemed to be having a great time.

We went to Hearthstone Lounge last night to get some late dinner for my husband since he hadn't been hungry earlier. He got the chicken quesadilla which was fabulous, BUT they warned us that the kitchen would be closing at 9:30 last night and we needed to get all food orders in by 9. We were there around 8:30. Just something to keep in mind. Not sure if this is permanent or was just a one off for last night (she said "the kitchen is closing at 9:30 tonight").

That's all for now. So far no one feels sick, so we're doing better on day 2 than we were over 4th of July weekend (side note, seeing LOTS of mask wearing indoors now). Although, I did fall HARD on the waterslide yesterday. My feet just shot out from under me. Thankfully I have lots of "padding" on the back end, but I did smack my forearm quite hard against the side of the slide. Have a huge bruise there now. I need to get it together. Don't need to ruin another family vacation!

Here now. Have a Partial Downtown Disney View room booked. We are on the 4th floor, right above the World of Disney and tram loading area, almost at the end of the building.

The room has a front on, perfect view of the fireworks, which was great last night. Unfortunately, it is a loud room. We were woken up at 7am by the tram horns and the music that you can absolutely hear even with the slider closed. We were running a fan on high for white noise but it wasn't enough. Be aware that these DtD rooms are LOUD at this end of the wing. Napping in this room would be problematic. Thankfully we don't usually need naps.

Everything else has been great so far. Pool wasn't crowded yesterday at 4 and we easily found chairs. There was a pool party from 4:30-5 with Pluto and Minnie. The little kids seemed to be having a great time.

We went to Hearthstone Lounge last night to get some late dinner for my husband since he hadn't been hungry earlier. He got the chicken quesadilla which was fabulous, BUT they warned us that the kitchen would be closing at 9:30 last night and we needed to get all food orders in by 9. We were there around 8:30. Just something to keep in mind. Not sure if this is permanent or was just a one off for last night (she said "the kitchen is closing at 9:30 tonight").

That's all for now. So far no one feels sick, so we're doing better on day 2 than we were over 4th of July weekend (side note, seeing LOTS of mask wearing indoors now). Although, I did fall HARD on the waterslide yesterday. My feet just shot out from under me. Thankfully I have lots of "padding" on the back end, but I did smack my forearm quite hard against the side of the slide. Have a huge bruise there now. I need to get it together. Don't need to ruin another family vacation!
Thanks for the update! And glad to hear about a good trip so far.

I think my three year olds will love the pool party. Any chance you know if characters rotate, or it is always Minnie and Pluto?

When we ate at Hearthstone a couple weeks ago, the chef (who we've gotten to know over the years with all my food allergies) was telling us they are really short staffed. That particular day, they had about 1/3 of the usual kitchen staff.

Oh man! Sounds like something I would do on the waterslide! I'm good at walking off curbs too.

Did you specifically book that type of room or did they "upgrade" you. I ask because I am a very light sleeper even with white noise and earplugs in. I am waken up routinely with things that would never wake up a normal person. I booked a standard view and don't want to end up with a DTD view.

Thanks for the update! And glad to hear about a good trip so far.

I think my three year olds will love the pool party. Any chance you know if characters rotate, or it is always Minnie an Pluto?
When we were there last week both days had the same characters, Minnie, Daisy, and Pluto. (it started out with 2 characters one day, but the third joined).

If you check in online, do you still have to visit the front desk? At Aulani I checked in online, but still needed to go to the front desk upon arrival. I assume the grand is the same? Thanks!!

Oh man! Sounds like something I would do on the waterslide! I'm good at walking off curbs too.

Did you specifically book that type of room or did they "upgrade" you. I ask because I am a very light sleeper even with white noise and earplugs in. I am waken up routinely with things that would never wake up a normal person. I booked a standard view and don't want to end up with a DTD view.

We specifically booked it because it was the only category available with our discount.

If you check in online, do you still have to visit the front desk? At Aulani I checked in online, but still needed to go to the front desk upon arrival. I assume the grand is the same? Thanks!!
Only if you want physical keys

We went a couple of weeks ago and checked in online. We didn't exactly need to go to the front desk but there were 3 of us, all friends, and we found it awkward not to have physical keys. Maybe it's our age (we're all boomers), but it was just so much easier to grab the key card than to get out the phone, open it up and find the room key and hold it against the door and wait for the chime. This was especially true because the other 2 had to log into my account to be able to do that as the hotel only gives the virtual key to the person named as the responsible party on the account. I'd rather just carry the card around in my pocket, though the phone key does make a nice chiming sound when it unlocks the door.

Anyway, if you're not always together when you come and go from the room, I think it's nicer to have an actual key card.

Is there anywhere in the GCH to grab a really quick takeaway breakfast (I'm talking some toast or bagels with spreads)? We like to grab a simple quick takeaway breakfast we can eat on the go, so we can take advantage of early entry, and the lines at the Starbucks can get a bit out of control.

Only if you want physical keys

We went a couple of weeks ago and checked in online. We didn't exactly need to go to the front desk but there were 3 of us, all friends, and we found it awkward not to have physical keys. Maybe it's our age (we're all boomers), but it was just so much easier to grab the key card than to get out the phone, open it up and find the room key and hold it against the door and wait for the chime. This was especially true because the other 2 had to log into my account to be able to do that as the hotel only gives the virtual key to the person named as the responsible party on the account. I'd rather just carry the card around in my pocket, though the phone key does make a nice chiming sound when it unlocks the door.

Anyway, if you're not always together when you come and go from the room, I think it's nicer to have an actual key card.

Thank you both! We haven’t stayed at the grand since 2004. Lol. So, feeling a bit like a newbie! I’ve read craftsman grill can be crazy in the morning. I think we might try tangaroa terrace instead. No clue if that’s any less crowded. But it’s our check out day and we want to eat breakfast and relax a bit more before coming home. ☺️

Thank you both! We haven’t stayed at the grand since 2004. Lol. So, feeling a bit like a newbie! I’ve read craftsman grill can be crazy in the morning. I think we might try tangaroa terrace instead. No clue if that’s any less crowded. But it’s our check out day and we want to eat breakfast and relax a bit more before coming home. ☺️

Craftsman Grill is much better than Tangaroa Terrace. I'd stick with CG. I went there today at 9:30 to grab some muffins and we were the ONLY people in there. It was very strange. I asked "where are all the people?" They said the breakfast rush is from 7-9am and then dies down. So, go a bit later and you'll be fine.

Glad that you didn’t get hurt. Last month I was stepping out of the Zepher and missed the step down. I fell from the ride backwards onto my rear end and head. Being embarrassed I got up quickly but was in a lot of pain. Had a knot on my head for several days so I can relate to your slide incident.

Thanks for the heads up on the room. We had a horrible room on the fifth floor on our last stay. Directly under one of the lounges. Sounded like bowling balls being rolled across the floor at 5:30 in the morning and then again late at night. Noise during the day with chairs scraping across the floor.

Craftsman Grill is much better than Tangaroa Terrace. I'd stick with CG. I went there today at 9:30 to grab some muffins and we were the ONLY people in there. It was very strange. I asked "where are all the people?" They said the breakfast rush is from 7-9am and then dies down. So, go a bit later and you'll be fine.

Do Craftsman Grill do quick takeaway foods? (not so much pastries, but more toast, bagels and toasties)?

Do Craftsman Grill do quick takeaway foods? (not so much pastries, but more toast, bagels and toasties)?

Yes! They have grab and go bread and bagels and there is a toaster there along with assorted jelly and peanut butter spread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter