Grand Floridian Blues

Sammie

DIS Veteran
I really wanted to stay at the Grand this summer but AP discounts and other discounts available just did not allow it to fit in my budget.

The confusing thing is I read where someone that is being relocated from the the French Quarter got the Grand Fl. for $166.75. While I think Disney went to the extreme on these relocation offers I understand the reason.

However this person was also booked at CBR and they let her change her CBR ressie to the same rate of $166.75. So instead of splitting her stay between POFQ and CBR she is now staying at the Grand the entire trip at the reduced rate.

Not sure that is fair to anyone else at CBR or any other Disney resort that would love the Grand Fl. at the price. That is over $100 less than the AP rate.

I guess I will stop reading the relocation offers as it seems Disney has really gone over the edge on this situation.

Originally posted by ***********
I also saw your post on the DVC board - http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370551

You're never going to be happy if you just keep worrying about what everyone else gets. Maybe your time would be better spent planning your own vacation.

I really don't see the connection between the two situations and absolutely no reason to link to it. One is about what is offered to DVC members and one is about Disney not being consistent with it's policy.

I absolutely have no problem with anyone getting a great deal. I am thrilled for the others. I do have a problem with Disney being very inconsistent with what it offers.

I am sure it is easy to remain happy when staying at Disney without worrying about the cost. Not all of us are that lucky, ***********.

I wouldn't stress yourself out about it. There is always going to be someone with a better deal than you. ;) I know people who stay for FREE because they have friends/relatives that are Disney exec's.

We paid rack rate at the BWI back in 1998, before I knew anything about discounts or codes. It still bothers me. LOL :p

Originally posted by TigrLvsPooh
I wouldn't stress yourself out about it. There is always going to be someone with a better deal than you. ;) I know people who stay for FREE because they have friends/relatives that are Disney exec's.

We paid rack rate at the BWI back in 1998, before I knew anything about discounts or codes. It still bothers me. LOL :p

Thanks Pooh for an honest and considerate answer. Living on a strict budget just gets to you sometimes.

Originally posted by Sammie
I am sure it is easy to remain happy when staying at Disney without worrying about the cost. Not all of us are that lucky, ***********.

Luck has nothing to do with it and who said that I don't have to worry about the cost. I'd love to stay in a Grand Villa or at the Grand Floridian, but I can't afford it. My point is that I can get excited about checking into All Stars on June 28th (which is what we are going to do) and have fun making plans for what we can do, rather than dwelling on what we can't do.

There will always be people who have more and people who will have less. You can either focus on the positive and be happy about what you have or you can focus on the negative and be depressed over what you don't have.

I've stayed at every level of Disney resort, from All Stars to the YC Presidential Suite. One of my favorite vacations was when we stayed at All Star Movies and far and away my worst vacation was when we stayed in the Presidential Suite at the YC. Having a good vacation has much more to do with attitude than room.

What both of your posts have in common was the negativity and disappointment over what someone else got.

***********, you are absolutely correct. one of the best vacations we ever had was when we had very little money. We went to Pennsylvania - Lancaster County and Hershey park. We were counting the change on the way home to make sure we had enough to pay the tolls, WDW was a mere dream as we could not afford to even think about it at one point. We say that our best times were before we had money and we had to account for every cent. Everything had more meaning. Anyone can call the GF and ask for and pay for a fantastic room and have your bottom kissed. Sometimes that is not what it is all about and it gets old very fast. Sometimes I tell my DH to not tell me what we have because it was more meaningful not having.

Originally posted by Sammie
I really wanted to stay at the Grand this summer but AP discounts and other discounts available just did not allow it to fit in my budget.

The confusing thing is I read where someone that is being relocated from the the French Quarter got the Grand Fl. for $166.75. While I think Disney went to the extreme on these relocation offers I understand the reason.

However this person was also booked at CBR and they let her change her CBR ressie to the same rate of $166.75. So instead of splitting her stay between POFQ and CBR she is now staying at the Grand the entire trip at the reduced rate.

Not sure that is fair to anyone else at CBR or any other Disney resort that would love the Grand Fl. at the price. That is over $100 less than the AP rate.

I guess I will stop reading the relocation offers as it seems Disney has really gone over the edge on this situation.

Yea...that might be a good idea..."stop reading the relocation offers." We don't want you to get any bluer than you are right now. Unfotunately non of us can help you with your blues...perphaps maybe you can contact disney see what they can do for you...you never know. But don't get disappointed if you don't get the answer you want to hear.

I have my WL/AKL blues myself...cause I can't stay there. I can only stay where my money takes me...and as long as I am in Disney...I'll be alright...I'm happy.

Hi Sammie

How about Florida Resident Rates? or the new Fairy Tale packages stay for 7, pay for 4?

The GF certainly is a fabulous place - hence the price to stay there... good luck finding a great holiday at a price you feel comfortable with.

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by >>^..^<<
Hi Sammie

How about Florida Resident Rates? or the new Fairy Tale packages stay for 7, pay for 4?

The GF certainly is a fabulous place - hence the price to stay there... good luck finding a great holiday at a price you feel comfortable with.

>>^..^<<

Thanks for the encouragement and understanding. It's been a bad week, several friends lost their jobs.

Contrary to what some have posted I am not disappointed in what someone else got, what I am is disappointed in is Disney that they can not offer some consistency in their policies.

I do believe I have seen others post this same concern.

I don't know if this will help but if I had my choice after staying at both I would pick CBR in a heartbeat!! IMHO, GF is overrated.

Sammie,

Did you think about maybe splitting your stay between your current reservation and just a few nights at GF? Then you get a chance to do both but split the costs a little.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Originally posted by *Fantasia*
[B\ I can only stay where my money takes me...and as long as I am in Disney...I'll be alright...I'm happy. [/B]

Fantasia,

I just love yout attitude.

I must admit, when it first started, I read the relo offers and then I was getting frustrated and I thought well I did not book POFQ so what I am getting so hyped about and this issue does not concern me so I stopped reading them.

There was an interesting related thread about how Disney offers these upgraded rates to the people who otherwise would be in mods to "hook" them into staying deluxe - theory being once you go up you cannot go back down in room type. The same thread also suggested that staying at a Deluxe costs more especially if you have your meals at the resort you stay at (for example).

Just my 2 pence worth

Sammie, take care and best of luck to you

Thanks
jaysue

Sammie,
If it makes you feel better there are those of us who have stayed at the GF and believe that it does not live up to its own press! I have had much better stays almost everyplace else. However, I do agree with an earlier poster. Focusing on "deals" that others may have gotten is not always wise. Even if you got what you wanted it can lead you to think, but I "read" xxx and spoil your vaction. In this as in life, attitude is key. If you find these threads upset your attitude about your stay just don't read them!

I can't say that either of my two stays at the GF were in my top five favorite WDW trips...in fact one is in the bottom two or three...

Whle the hotel does have some bearing on your experiences, it's not everything.

As the others have said, rather than worrying about what everyone else got for a rate, why not just plan on enjoying your vacation. What others pay has no bearing on you. If someone gets a little extra pixie dust be happy for them--next time it could be you!

Anne

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions and good way to deal with the situation.

It is very kind of you to offer positive suggestions instead of beating me up over feeling down about it.

I guess it was just a bad week, filled with concerns over friends with no jobs, and hoping for a little run of that Disney luck that many have experienced and I have only read about :)

It is very kind of you to offer positive suggestions instead of beating me up over feeling down about it.
I won't beat you up ;). I had the same blues for a short spell. We added a night to our next trip and really wanted it to be the GF. Unfortunately, the AP rate just wasn't low enough to allow it. Sure, we had some short term disappointment, but when you consider that our alternative was to make a reservation at another Disney resort (and they are ALL great), that disappointment melted away pretty quickly :).

Hi, Sammie,

I won't beat you up either!! I experienced some of that disappointment as well when I first started reading the posts. It hits home a little more because we're going at the same time. It's like when you hear someone winning the lottery and thing, "darn, why couldn't it have been me". Then the news is over and you forget about it.

One of the problems here on the boards is that one cannot express an opinion without starting some kind of debate.

You'll have a fabulous time.... cause, woo hoo you're going to WDW

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Anna
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

My blues started with everyone not being able to stay at pofq. We really had wanted CBR for our trip for my b-day, and since they are relocating everyone All the florida resident rates were gone. So we settled with the ASSp. Not my first choice, but it will be fun. I have stayed at the GF, and it was ok, but it is defently out of our price range. With all the moderates being taken up, Disney saved me money by having me stay at the All Stars again.... Works for me I think we are going to get Pal Mickey with the savings YEAH!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter