"Great deals" through travel agents

bladiator

Disney on my mind
I was wondering, on the average deal put together by a TA, are WDW deluxe resort rooms better priced than say, renting points through a DVC rental website? I've always liked to just do all the deal hunting myself, but if a TA is privy to better deals than the average bear, I'd be willing to look into that.

Nothing is cheaper than renting DVC...except maybe the needle in the hay stack for very specific stays.

I booked a great deal through a TA for last October for a standard room at AKL. It was less expensive than booking through WDW, even after they released their discounts. However, the great deal at AKL through a TA was more than a Studio at AKL booked with points. However, I benefited from WDW's generous cancellation policy for room-only bookings, which is no penalty up to 5 days before and I didn't have to go through the blind faith effort of renting points.

I booked a great deal through a TA for last October for a standard room at AKL. It was less expensive than booking through WDW, even after they released their discounts. However, the great deal at AKL through a TA was more than a Studio at AKL booked with points. However, I benefited from WDW's generous cancellation policy for room-only bookings, which is no penalty up to 5 days before and I didn't have to go through the blind faith effort of renting points.

Yes, this is definitely the trade off you will have to make. I would price them both out, but in the long run, you may have to decide what is most important - being locked into dates with stringent cancellation policies and no housekeeping or paying slightly more, getting housekeeping and much more flexibility. We've stayed in villas many times and I also book cash reservations (TA or through WDW). I just don't feel comfortable with locking into a DVC rental, but that's just me.

Yes, this is definitely the trade off you will have to make. I would price them both out, but in the long run, you may have to decide what is most important - being locked into dates with stringent cancellation policies and no housekeeping or paying slightly more, getting housekeeping and much more flexibility. We've stayed in villas many times and I also book cash reservations (TA or through WDW). I just don't feel comfortable with locking into a DVC rental, but that's just me.
why dont you feel comfortable with a dvc rental? just curious as im looking to book a vacation as well

I just don't feel comfortable with locking into a DVC rental, but that's just me.

I agree. First of all, I want to handle the reservation, not ask someone else to do things for me. Second of all, I need the flexibility to change or cancel. My life does not allow booking 11 months in advance and having to make it work as is.

Good luck whatever you decide!

why dont you feel comfortable with a dvc rental? just curious as im looking to book a vacation as well

I would rather pay a little more to get the cancellation/change flexibility that comes with a cash reservation. I also like daily housekeeping. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many reputable DVC companies and owners out there and many people have successfully rented points. It's just not my cup of tea!

If you rent DVC, the booking cannot be cancelled for refund. Payment for cancellation insurance can bring up costs so that the pricing is less competitive. At some resorts, a discount stay will be equivalent to a cost to rent points (most common at AKV, Saratoga and OKW) and qualify for extended payment, and can be cancelled -- and has daily housekeeping.

DVC rental is a commitment. It's not quite like a tattoo, but it's awfully close - getting out of it will be expensive and painful if you change your mind (or dates).

Nothing is cheaper than renting DVC...except maybe the needle in the hay stack for very specific stays.
Not true. It's often less expensive to stay in a Value Resort than to rent DVC. It can be less expensive to get a camping space and rent a camper. Some TA's offer such great rates that it costs less to stay at a Deluxe Resort in a hotel room than it does to rent DVC to stay in the timeshare side of the resort. And the CR garden wing rooms are the best-kept secret to an affordable Deluxe Resort stay. There are a lot of ways to book thru Disney that can be more affordable than renting DVC.

Not true. It's often less expensive to stay in a Value Resort than to rent DVC. It can be less expensive to get a camping space and rent a camper. Some TA's offer such great rates that it costs less to stay at a Deluxe Resort in a hotel room than it does to rent DVC to stay in the timeshare side of the resort. And the CR garden wing rooms are the best-kept secret to an affordable Deluxe Resort stay. There are a lot of ways to book thru Disney that can be more affordable than renting DVC.
I meant deluxe to deluxe not deluxe to value.

Also im aware of some great deals that happen from time to time but I haven't found them to be too easily obtainable ..however they do exist and maybe have been easier to find for others.

Obviously it also depends on how much one pays per point for points rentals and date of travel.

I was wondering, on the average deal put together by a TA, are WDW deluxe resort rooms better priced than say, renting points through a DVC rental website? I've always liked to just do all the deal hunting myself, but if a TA is privy to better deals than the average bear, I'd be willing to look into that.
If you're going to compare Deluxe Resort room vs. DVC villa, the DVC villa rental is almost always going to come out more affordable than the hotel room. It's not a hard and fast rule. DVC's "seasons" are not the same as Disney Resort seasons. If you can get a discount on the hotel room, it could end up costing less than the DVC studio rental during some periods. The problem is that a DVC rental should be made no later than 7 months prior to arrival and is better if you commit to a reservation 11 months ahead of time. There are not too many Disney discounts that are available 11 months out. So, you're rolling the dice. It's possible that the rental will save you money but you have to commit to it so very early in the planning process. OTOH, Disney could come out with a decent discount that makes renting a less attractive option.

Last edited:
We have booked a few great TA exclusive deals, including our next trip to POFQ on Thanksgiving week (Disney rarely has discounts for POFQ). Renting points is the cheapest deluxe vs deluxe but only if you get a studio, once you move up to the 1 bdrm villas, points needed double and you are paying more. We rented once but rarely can we book 11 months out with 100% certainty that we will not cancel. Plus the studios only have 1 real bed and we were not fans of it and once you opened up the pull-out bed the room got very cramped (at least at BWV). Add in no new towels, shampoos, soaps etc. and add in that the pts cost has risen to where to save $$ you need to go during the non-peak times. Renting does not fit our criteria but it's a great deal for those that have no issues with the requirements.

We never rented prior to buying. Life happens. The no cancellation policy that most have was too risky for me. I wasn't comfortable with it.

I understand the reasoning but the "life happens" shouldn't be a concern. Anything that would cause me to cancel the reservation would be of bigger concern than the few thousand dollars lost.

I'm paying less than $200/night at a deluxe this fall through a TA's special deal. I THINK that's better than renting points but I'm not sure.

I'm paying less than $200/night at a deluxe this fall through a TA's special deal. I THINK that's better than renting points but I'm not sure.
Probably is, cheapest poly gets I think is 16 points a night, you can rent points from $14-16 per point..some times less but that's harder to do with popular resorts.

So after tax and all you are probably right there with renting...and that close I would take the TA anyday.

Is this one of the bigger TA's or less known place?

Probably is, cheapest poly gets I think is 16 points a night, you can rent points from $14-16 per point..some times less but that's harder to do with popular resorts.

David's is charging $17 per point in home resort these days. You don't get anything in fall (save limited Saratoga/OKW) outside of home resort. Private listings I've seen on the DVC Rent/Trade board are following current trend and for popular resorts, you're going to pay $15-19 in home resort these days. To get AKV Value requires an AKV owner, and most I know will charge a premium to try to go for Value.

David's is charging $17 per point in home resort these days. You don't get anything in fall (save limited Saratoga/OKW) outside of home resort. Private listings I've seen on the DVC Rent/Trade board are following current trend and for popular resorts, you're going to pay $15-19 in home resort these days. To get AKV Value requires an AKV owner, and most I know will charge a premium to try to go for Value.
Yup, so if they are paying less than 200 for poly that's a great deal and I want that TA :-) of course I just assumed it was poly because of the sig...although really any deluxe for that price and I would book.

I guess I mostly stand corrected (in my first post) if you look hard enough and the dates are right..my travel dates never seem to be good deals...or maybe I just need to find a better TA to check.

Renting points for a studio will likely save you more than great TA deals. But once you get into one bedrooms, you could rent two TA-priced rooms and save a little money. Compare two TA-priced rooms to a 2-BR DVC and you save a lot of money (on the room rent...you could get back some of that savings by cooking in the DVC unit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter