Great Sports Calls

THE NACL!! IT BURNS!!!!!
Some high school game. Hilarious

Note that the announcers were right. It was a clear backwards lateral and thus counts as a fumble. But their salty reaction is just flat out funny.

Last edited:
Do you believe in miracles?
Any game by Keith Jackson.

My favorite sports call and moment is Secretariat as well.
Belmont often gets few horses, and aside from Sham who would want to run against him.
I am not sure but I believe Sham had close to the second fastest times in both Derby and Preakness at the time.

Last edited:
As a ten year old kid that grew up three miles south of this stadium. This will always be my number one sports call.

"Tiznow wins it for America" -Tom Durkin after Tiznow wins second Breeder's Cup, in New York just a few weeks after 9/11

The Play. With parts of the radio call that were cut from the previous video still in it.
It was quite a good game. There's some longer clips that show how good Joe Starkey's call was. Even though he was the Cal announcer, he called the incredible Stanford drive before the final kickoff. They called timeout with 8 seconds left on the clock for Mark Harmon (not the former UCLA QB and actor) to kick a FG. If they had just called TO with maybe 2-3 seconds left on the clock it would have run out on the (2nd down) FG attempt. I've heard that some coaches like having more time just in case something goes wrong and the holder can spike the ball, but I see far more cases where they tell an official they want the clock dead at 2 seconds. It's also kind of weird seeing what it was like back then - almost too easy with a wider college field goal upright and where they were allowed to use a tee.

I've seen the original TV video of it where the call was by local TV sports anchor/announcer Barry Tompkins. It was shown on the independent station KBHK (channel 44).

Being an Ohio boy I’m surprised you didn’t have this one!!!

Havilicek stole the ball...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter