greenban POLL: Is big brother (DISNEY) watching us?

Does Disney or the DVC 'monitor' fansites?

• No. This is Disney you're talking about, they don't even hear the CRUNCH when they step on us!

• No. Why would they?

• Maybe. Definately Maybe, or perhaps, Perhaps!

• Yes, I'm sure some users of these sites report back to Disney (Like the 'rental' police)

• Yes, I bet off duty CMs can and do report back items of interest

• Yes, I bet someone has a paid job of monitoring the web for Disney

• Yes, there is an entire division of inhouse Disney web surfers

• Other please see my post for more inspiration insight

• Jim Lewis, Hire me for this position, PLEASE!!!

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know they monitor websites. How? I went to the tickets/concierge desk at the Contemporary and asked to see the menu for California Grill. The CM printed me a menu, from...allears.net! The CM said, "They are more up to date on our menus than we are."

There is a huge difference between a guide watching the boards (who is a sales person) and a product/brand manager watching the boards.

I bet guides watch the boards to better understand who they are selling to. Good to learn tips from the power users on how to sell to their audience.

I'm sure product/brand managers occasionally watch the boards, but they would be foolish to spend too much attention. I'm sure their PMs have a pretty detailed segmentation of their user base, and believe that these boards represent a certain segment (in my industry they are the early adopters, the small but vocal percentage of users who follow your every move). The majority of buyers wont' fit into that segment. So it is good to watch these boards to see what your vocal minority is saying (or complaining about), but better to spend a majority of your time researching the broader market trends.

But sure, as the vocal minority we can feel self important and believe we influence everything. Or we can argue about the finer points of parking fees, pool temperatures, hallway lengths, elevator locations, poolside dining and vomiting clown pools and provide entertainment TO Disney, which is what I think Disney really views these boards as a source for.

But Disney, if you are looking. Rather then build a Contemporary DVC add on to the existing Contemporary, demolish the whole thing and start over.

:-)

I went with "Yes, I bet off duty CMs can and do report back items of interest " it seems Disney knows exactly how to "work" everything without putting out a Dime. ;) Look how DVC "worked" offered us a DVC members Cruise, the Dvc Members pay for the cruise and once we are aboard DVC put the "works into play" Sell SSR Points, Sell Add-ons, Sell, Sell. :lmao:

this was way before most of you. but I still get a little mad.

some disers were complaining about the high cost of the WDW resorts with points.

Disney hadn't (at that time) changed them from 1992 this was 2001 (maybe 2002). Well they did change the GF and added moderates - but that was all.

So I say hey they were a great deal. stayed at the Poly for 22 points when the regular rate was $335 - lagoon view at Tahiti.

within a few weeks Disney had changed their policy. Now they change the points each and every year for the WDW resorts. so no more deals at WDW resorts using points.

should learn to not post - yea - that will be the day.:lmao:

this was way before most of you. but I still get a little mad.

some disers were complaining about the high cost of the WDW resorts with points.

Disney hadn't (at that time) changed them from 1992 this was 2001 (maybe 2002). Well they did change the GF and added moderates - but that was all.

So I say hey they were a great deal. stayed at the Poly for 22 points when the regular rate was $335 - lagoon view at Tahiti.

within a few weeks Disney had changed their policy. Now they change the points each and every year for the WDW resorts. so no more deals at WDW resorts using points.

should learn to not post - yea - that will be the day.:lmao:

I remember that because it was just before I joined that they increased the rates. It was almost a deal-breaker for me because I wanted to use points to stay at the Polynesian too! Fortunately I was able to look past that and joined anyway. :thumbsup2

I don't think it was your fault, spiceycat. But I remember that Mousesavers (and no doubt other sites as well) recommended renting points to stay at deluxe resorts (non-DVC!) because it was such a good deal before 2002. I think that was becoming irritating for the resort managers who were probably losing money on the deal. Since then the points at the deluxes have been essentially rack rate + tax on weekdays (and completely outrageous on weekends).

I don't think that anyone/corporation pays a lot of attention to anonymous comments.

rwcpopcorn::

...But sure, as the vocal minority we can feel self important and believe we influence everything. Or we can argue about the finer points of parking fees, pool temperatures, hallway lengths, elevator locations, poolside dining and vomiting clown pools and provide entertainment TO Disney, which is what I think Disney really views these boards as a source for...
To be fair; The BWV pool clown you see today is much different than the original design and that's a direct product of complaint threads started right here on the DIS. During the first two weeks the resort was open he had crossed-out eyes and a brown bottle labeled "XXX" laying next to him.

To be fair; The BWV pool clown you see today is much different than the original design and that's a direct product of complaint threads started right here on the DIS. During the first two weeks the resort was open he had crossed-out eyes and a brown bottle labeled "XXX" laying next to him.

Wow.

So who designed the pool orginally, Pee Wee Herman?

My kids still hate the clown; we haven't stayed at the BWV because of their affirmations that they will never be vomited up by the psycho clown.

Well I'm glad we got THAT straightened out! :lmao:

I don't know if it is a paid position or not, but I can tell you that it happens. I had a discussion with my Guide one day, a few years ago, don't even remember the subject, but I quoted him in my post. Evidently what he said was not exactly what he meant, and he called me within 30 minutes and said that his boss asked him to call me to have me edit my post to set the record straight.

While I have no idea if a paid position exists, I believe there are CMs who browse the boards. I check blogs that regularly refer to my place of employment, just to see how things we do are perceived by others.

My kids still hate the clown; we haven't stayed at the BWV because of their affirmations that they will never be vomited up by the psycho clown.

That's I have proposed for a long time now that they turn the clown around so that we all will be able to slide into the clown's mouth instead of out of it. Wouldn't that be fun?;)

HBC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter