Grocery shopping for Aulani

jaclark

Mouseketeer
We are booked for early June and we are renting a car. Is it worth it to purchase a costco membership for the trip (I currently have a sams club membership since they are more available in my area).

We are spending 5 nights at Aulani and then going to the Big Island. From reading boards, I see there is a Target and a Costco.

any advice?

thank you!!

annette

I wouldn't. There is also a nice Safeway. I shopped there while my husband made a Costco run. Have a great time. Aulani is special.

It depends. We were able to get a rental car rate that was over $50.00 less than anything else I could find. That $50 paid for the membership.

I only needed a few things and got them at Target which is close as well. But I was disappointed in their produce. So I just got fruit at the resort. I did get some pineapple, sliced, from a food vendor up on the North Shore yesterday, though.

If choosing between Target and Safeway for groceries while staying at Aulani, which would you choose?

I have enough points on Mypoints to get a $50 gift card at either one, so that will help the travel budget a teeny bit anyway. :)

There is a SAMs Club only about a 20min drive from Aulani - nt sure whether you were aware.

Went to Walmart and target while we were there because we didn't buy quite enough for the entire stay. Did not notice a significant price or item availability difference between the two stores. However, target is closer to Aulani and easier to get to from the highway as the exit has an on ramp and off ramp.

Target is close and so easy to get to. On top of that, their prices are very competitive.

I am a Costco fan so this is bias but I wish I had f done Costco on Day 1 instead of Day 3. I could have saved more than $50 on Bread, Milk, Alcohol, pre-prep meals, Pizza...I could go on.

Plus I made the mistake of using Hotwire for my Rental car and checked later and would have saved more with Costco.

Next time I am doing Costco at the start of the trip. Food was really expensive even by Canadian standards.

There's a Sams Club located about 20 minutes from Aulani if you wanted to just go there instead of Costco. But for 5 nights it might not even be worth it to be buying your food in bulk. You'd be better off going to either Target or Safeway for groceries. YES, the prices are higher than the mainland. I'm from the mainland and will tell you now the prices will give you sticker shock! Go to Safeway and sign up for their free Safeway membership card. The prices are way better using the membership than without. It's just like a regular grocery store. Target's prices are not much lower, if not very similar to those at Safeway, and their selection is much more limited. But you're on vacation, so it's not like you need to stock up ya know.

There's a Sams Club located about 20 minutes from Aulani if you wanted to just go there instead of Costco. But for 5 nights it might not even be worth it to be buying your food in bulk. You'd be better off going to either Target or Safeway for groceries. YES, the prices are higher than the mainland. I'm from the mainland and will tell you now the prices will give you sticker shock! Go to Safeway and sign up for their free Safeway membership card. The prices are way better using the membership than without. It's just like a regular grocery store. Target's prices are not much lower, if not very similar to those at Safeway, and their selection is much more limited. But you're on vacation, so it's not like you need to stock up ya know.

Anyone use Down to Earth Organic and Natural in Kapolei?

DW has several food allergies we need to shop for and this appears to be the closest organic grocery to Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter