Grocery stop advice

MaryAunt

Earning My Ears
We are planning a grocery stop on our way from MCO to POR via Tiffany town car....anyone with advice as to the best place to stop? Think we will need mostly perishables, milk, fruit, yogurt...stuff for a nearly one year old. I am planning on mailing a box with cereal, snacks, diapers, etc in an attempt to cut costs and luggage. We arrive at dinnertime, and by the time we check in, it will be well past 7 PM, so I would like to stop at the best place enroute, not a side trip, or out of the way. Another question, when do you think I should ship this box...depending on size, it will go by airborne express ground. Thanks in advance for your help, fellow Dis-ers. MaryAunt:D

If they take the south exit out of MCO and use the greenway, the best place might be South OBT. There is an Albertsons and a Super Target right off this exit giving you a choice as to where to shop. Then they would just need to jump back on the Greenway to Disney.

Make sure you let the transportation company know in advance that you need to make a grocery stop. They will put extra time into the schedule to accomodate that but they really appreciate knowing up front. They do this quite frequently and they also can make some good suggestions on where to stop.

It also helps to have your list made out ahead of time. When I went last time, my husband stayed in the van with the kids and the driver. My Mom, my Dad, and I each had a list of items and it felt like "commando" shopping. The driver said he never saw anyone get out of the store with as much as we had in as little time as we used. :)

Enjoy your trip!

We've used Tiffany 3 times and always requested not to go to Goodings because we had heard the prices were high. They took us to Publix the first 2 times. I thought the store was okay but nothing really great. This time (last week), we arrived on a Saturday and the driver said he couldn't take us to Publix because it would be too crowded, so we went to Goodings instead. I wasn't too upset because I kind of wanted to try someplace besides the Publix anyway. But let me tell you, when people say the prices are high, they are not kidding. A box of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds cereal, which costs less than $2 at Walmart here, was $4.99. Shaving cream was $3.99. They even had a brand of orange juice that was $8.99 a gallon! (We got a cheaper brand). I wish I could find the receipt so that I could post more prices, but you get the picture.

So, if you are trying to save money, ask them to take you anywhere but Goodings!

Originally posted by MaryAunt
We are planning a grocery stop on our way from MCO to POR via Tiffany town car....anyone with advice as to the best place to stop? Think we will need mostly perishables, milk, fruit, yogurt...stuff for a nearly one year old. I am planning on mailing a box with cereal, snacks, diapers, etc in an attempt to cut costs and luggage. We arrive at dinnertime, and by the time we check in, it will be well past 7 PM, so I would like to stop at the best place enroute, not a side trip, or out of the way. Another question, when do you think I should ship this box...depending on size, it will go by airborne express ground. Thanks in advance for your help, fellow Dis-ers. MaryAunt:D

I shipped our 25lb box via UPS ground on Tuesday from NY and it got to our resort on Friday. UPS guarantees the number of days it will take (depending on where you live) if you are shipping to a business address and a hotel is a business address. We are checking in tomorrow (Monday), so my advice is to check the UPS website and see how long transit time should be shipping via ground then you can go from there. BTW..it was only $10.00 to ship that 25lb box, although I get a bit of a discount because I shipped it from work.

Our last trip I shipped a box with diapers and snacks and bottled water. The funny thing was we didn't even touch the snacks! The water was handy and it is always good to have more diapers than you need but I was surprised how much we had left over that we didn't use!
We also took Tiff Tcar and had a great experience with them - whoever said to make a list ahead of time - that is a great tip! They would have taken us to any store we wanted and I chose Albertsons.
We had WAY TOO many groceries and stuff. Between the box I sent and what we bought it was pathetic! I thought that it would help us save money but for us it was just more money we spent and hardly used any of it!

Great question MaryAunt!
I could use this info too. We're planning a grocerie stop when
we go down in April and I'd like to keep the cost down as much
as possible.
Thanks everyone!
Winnie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter