GTY & Luggage

taswira

"Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!
If there is anyone out there who actually showed up at the port with only GTY status to have your stateroom assigned at check-in, how was your luggage handled? Was there a delay in it reaching your stateroom?

Yes, we had a GTY status and when we got to the port we were assigned a room at check-in, and it was an upgrade!!!!

This was on the Wonder back in '99. When we got to our cabins someone else's luggage was outside the door and after awhile the porters came and removed theirs and brought outs. I do not know where the people who were originally in our cabin were put, the the cabin number was on their tags!!

MJ

Thanks, MJ. I figured that would happen. But since you were assigned a room at check-in, did you carry your luggage to the counter? What did your luggage tags read? I was wondering how a porter at the curb could direct them properly since there would be no stateroom number on the tags . . . if you even had tags at that point (????).

So far I've always had a stateroom set in advance . . a verandah cabin. But impulsively doing the APC cruise in January and going solo, I opted for the Cat. 11 as everything below Cat 6 was GTY, and my favorite Nav. Verandah isn't available at all. So . . just wondering what to expect. Gee - doing a 3-day solo I could actually get by with a small rollaboard and not check anything!

Anyone else with GTY/luggage experiences?

We just left the cabin # space blank on our tags. We checked our bags with a porter at the terminal and they said they would take care of them, that this happens all the time when people do not have an assgined room. I think he mentioned there was a master list created that day or day before that listed where everyone's cabin was.

MJ

So did they have the bar-coded tags then like they do now - the ones that come inside the documents? Maybe they can just scan the code and it tells them. Guess I'll find out, unless I opt to just carry on. I sort of have my packing down to a science!

Have any of you booked GTY but had the stateroom show up on your final mailed documents?

Originally posted by taswira

Have any of you booked GTY but had the stateroom show up on your final mailed documents?

Yes, I booked a cruise within 3 weeks of the sail date and it was in a Category 9 GTY. When my TA got the documents and gave them to me, I had been assigned a Cat 6 cabin and we were delighted.

hth

Taswira, I think more often than not on DCL the GTY rooms ARE assigned in advance, and many times the room assignment does show up on the final docs. :)

We just sailed with GTY status 3 weeks ago. The porters have a cruise list, and your name and stateroom number is on it. They tag your luggage with your stateroom number when you arrive at the port and check your luggage with them.
On another note, we decided to pay for an upgrade once we checked in. Our luggage did go to the other room (the one that we were originally assigned) but eventually made it to our room (after we called guest services to inquire about it again)
Anyway, if you have GTY status when you arrive, don't worry--you will definitely already have a room assigned--and you won't need to carry your bags onboard with you. The porters will take care of it for you, and Disney will take care of getting it to your room.

Sue Ellen

Thanks everyone. I wasn't <I>worried</I> about my luggage getting lost or anything - just <I>curious</I> about how it is handled if someone is GTY with no stateroom on their final documents, and what guests' experiences have been under those circumstances. As a p/t TA, I have still not booked anyone who was GTY on DCL. They've all been "picky" about their staterooms. :smooth: I usually am, too, but since the APC cruise was a sudden decision for me and no Cat. 7 were left, I'm taking my chances this time.I don't think I'd want to pay for an upgrade, because I'm hoping to fit in another Wonder cruise (Cat. 7) before Cruisetoberfest II!

Thanks again,
Shari

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter