"Hang Out" Areas at Resort Hotels

AndyD

Earning My Ears
I'm coordinating a multi-family trip (roughly 16 people), and one thing we'd like to do is be able to get together in the evenings for some family card games and chatting. One option we're considering is to reserve one grand villa and a few std rooms, and meet up in the villa, but based on the pricing we've seen, the cost per bed is significantly higher - sometimes double or more - for the villas, so there would be significant cost in getting the space that way. While I understand that nets us a kitchen space as well, we wanted to look at what other options we have.

So, have any of you seen or used spaces at any of the resorts that could feasibly support this size group coming together in the evenings for some reasonably loud family fun? I suppose certain lobbies or cafe spaces might qualify, but if there are lounge spaces, open picnic table areas, etc., those would be interesting as well. Any input would be helpful!

In terms of constraints, we're planning to stay on-property, so limit options to the resort hotels (including Swan/Dolphin/Reserve), or other areas on-site. There's some preference amongst the group for one of the following resorts, so while you don't need to limit ideas to those spots, we're probably more interested in one of these: POFQ, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, resorts along the Epcot-Studios walkway, Saratoga Springs, and Contemporary/BLT.

Thanks everyone!

I'm coordinating a multi-family trip (roughly 16 people), and one thing we'd like to do is be able to get together in the evenings for some family card games and chatting. One option we're considering is to reserve one grand villa and a few std rooms, and meet up in the villa, but based on the pricing we've seen, the cost per bed is significantly higher - sometimes double or more - for the villas, so there would be significant cost in getting the space that way. While I understand that nets us a kitchen space as well, we wanted to look at what other options we have.

So, have any of you seen or used spaces at any of the resorts that could feasibly support this size group coming together in the evenings for some reasonably loud family fun? I suppose certain lobbies or cafe spaces might qualify, but if there are lounge spaces, open picnic table areas, etc., those would be interesting as well. Any input would be helpful!

In terms of constraints, we're planning to stay on-property, so limit options to the resort hotels (including Swan/Dolphin/Reserve), or other areas on-site. There's some preference amongst the group for one of the following resorts, so while you don't need to limit ideas to those spots, we're probably more interested in one of these: POFQ, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, resorts along the Epcot-Studios walkway, Saratoga Springs, and Contemporary/BLT.

Thanks everyone!
I think that you're going to have a hard time finding a space for that many people to gather, especially if you expect to get "reasonably loud". Most of the spaces that come to mind are meant for the guests of the specific hotels. Where are you staying?

16 people to me outside the bubble tends to scream "private room" at restaurant. While I can think of several lobbies of hotels that could accommodate this group of people (AKL and WL come immediately to mind, the former more than the latter), it almost feels like you're subjecting everyone else to your own convention at that point (I know you're not, and absent 16 of you all having a voice as loud as mine is, I couldn't begin to care about people talking in a lobby during "normal" hours, but I don't speak for the QUIET AT ALL COSTS section of the world).

I would probably consider the Dolphin - the lobby is HUGE and I have seen many families hanging out in the evenings. It's not terribly quiet there, either, so I don't necessarily think you will be bothering anyone. You could also stay (or just walk over) to Swan Reserve and hang out in their lounge. You may also want to call Swan/Dolphin directly and price out a 2-bedroom suite there (I would inquire about the suite at the Swan as their suite parlors seem to be larger than Dolphin's) - if you combined that with some regular rooms, the 2-bedroom would give you a large living room to hang out in the evenings, so you wouldn't have to go to a lobby or lounge. The 2-bedrooms typically price out about the same as a standard room at the WDW monorail resorts. I would ask the phone rep if there are other suite set-ups that might accommodate your group.

You didn't mention CSR, but there are some outdoor areas there (with tables and chairs) that might work, plus their sports grille and their QS is very large as well. We love the rooms in the tower at CSR.

Thanks for the replies so far. Location is TBD, which is why the broad question. Outdoor areas are certainly an option, especially if it's not raining or if there's cover. Ideally we would just get a room; just looking to see all our options.

If you stay at Boulder Ridge there are rooms in the lobby that could accomodate you, but it is first come first served. We had intentions of playing our card game and shuffle board in one of the rooms in the lobby but the outdoor movie was moved inside to that room due to rain. No big deal, we moved to one of the smaller areas of the lobby and played our game there. We saw large families rearranging tables and eating together in the lobby last week. Since Boulder Ridge's lobby is right near the guest rooms and normally very quiet, as long as the games and chatting aren't too loud and raucous into the night, you should be fine.

The quiet pool at Boulder Ridge also has free cabanas that are first come, first served that can seat up to 7 comfortably or the tables by the pool could be used as well. In the late afternoon and evening, there were many empty cabanas and tables there.

Last edited:

Might be tough on the budget and some won’t find the CL amenities appealing, but have you considered Club Level? The lounges aren’t really meant to be your personal living room, BUT do provide a great place to get together/convene with your group. I’ve done a few large group trips (not sure that count will ever go above a few!) and having CL was very convenient.

All of the resorts have tables around their quick service dining and pool areas but you can’t predict how busy those will be at the time. And yes, you will get lots of dirty looks if you are a very large group, loud, and seem to be dominating the space. Smaller groups of 4-8 hanging out wouldn’t be unusual, though. After the dinner rush, the inside seating at the food courts often isn’t terribly full, either.

If you really want group hang out options regularly, I would get either at least a one bedroom DVC villa, or look into other suite options. CSR has “executive suites” in Casita, for example. You could also see a few families could afford family suites at AoA and maybe others just in LM rooms. You might end up spread out, but at least within walking distance. And if it’s nice, lots of the resorts have quiet places you could use some blankets on grassy areas. Again, just realize some folks might be trying to sleep at 9 pm so you would want to watch your volume.

Thanks for the replies so far. Location is TBD, which is why the broad question. Outdoor areas are certainly an option, especially if it's not raining or if there's cover. Ideally we would just get a room; just looking to see all our options.
Well, if SSR is a consideration, you might want to look into the treehouse villas there. Each villa has a large deck with a table and chairs where you could sit outside to chat and play cards. There's another table inside for others to gather. Since each THV is a separate unit, you're less likely to disturb your neighbors.

The THVs sleep 9, although I would not recommend filling one to capacity. If you rent DVC points, they tend to take a few more points than a 2BR villa but much less than a GV.

Or you might consider the cabins at Fort Wilderness. They each have a picnic table you could use or you could gather in the covered picnic table area by the pool.

I can second that the lobby within the Dolphin is rather large and tends to be noisy overall so a larger group wouldnt stand out as much as some of the other properties. One night coming back from the parks the bar was quite busy and tons of overflowing convos could be easily heard. If your group has a varying budget for their own rooms this also is a good location as you would have the Skyliner nearby which would connect Pop/AoA, Carrib beach, Riviera, and all of the boardwalk properties.

The DVC resorts often have common areas. My pick would be BRV (original DVC @ WL). The main floor of BRV has some lovely area with comfortable seating, fireplaces and tables for games. If you google I am sure there would be images. I have never seen all the areas occupied. Often there is no one there. We do travel low season so it may be busier at other times.

AKV Kidani Village also has some nice common areas.

If money was no object and some of your group was willing to share accommodation the three bedroom villa at the Grand Floridian has four bedrooms if you include the media room which has a door. The three bedroom at the Boardwalk Villas would also be convenient. Both have large living spaces. I think the dining room tables seat 12. The Cabins at Copper Creek (WL) look like they would be great too. (Fireplace, hot tub, covered patio) They are only two bedroom.

Coronado Springs has a huge area with lots of group seating options including several long table with chairs located in the old Lobby area close to several dining areas. This would be the perfect location to gather in the evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter