Happy 18th Birthday and Happy High School Grad Trip (with Night of Joy thrown in too)

justgeorgi

Mouseketeer
Pre Trip Report

Happy 18th Birthday and Happy High School Grad Trip (with Night of Joy thrown in too)

Let me first introduce the players!

Wendy-38 yrs old, mom, wife, Disney fanatic, planner, planner, obsessive planner :) I've been going to Disney since 2nd grade.
Georgie-18 years old, recent high school graduate, Disney fanatic, has been going to Disney since she was 18 months old.

Reason for trip:
Well my husband and I were at WDW in March and stayed at All Star Music...we went for an early anniversary trip...had a great time. Georgie was busy with an internship and couldn't go...and let us know she was QUITE upset about it. Her last trip was a surprise sweet 16 trip (she found out on the drive down to Florida from NY) and she has been complaining a lot that she is dying to see Mickey! Well after our anniversary trip her Daddy and I were trying to figure out what to get her for her high school graduation trip and her 18th birthday...well at trip to Disney seemed PERFECT! The thing is...she is our only child and I've been extremely sad about this whole growing up thing...and wanted to take her alone...and great husband/Daddy that he is agreed that it would be nice for me to take her on a "just girls" trip. We did one brief 2 day trip when she was 9 and I've been waiting 9 years to do another. I hope this is the first of many trips "just girls."

We gave her the trip as a surprise at her graduation party...needless to say it went over very well :)

Trip Details:
I got a fabulous direct flight deal on JetBlue out of Newark, NJ on Hotwire that got us into MCO at 9:16 pm on Thursday, September 9 and leaves September 14th at 7:10 pm. Can't beat this...normally we fly VERY early but I wanted the extra time to spend almost a full day in a park on my last day. We live in Albany which is about 2.5-3 hours from Newark depending on traffic but since its a late flight we can start our trip off in our 2nd favorite place NEW YORK CITY! Looks like we will be going to lunch and doing some shopping before flying out of Newark Airport! Twist my arm :)

We are staying at All Star Music (we usually stay at Pop but for some reason it was $100 cheaper to stay at All Star Music) and have requested the Broadway section. Georgie has never stayed at All Star Music and hubby and I loved it when we stayed in March.

We have the regular dining plan...1 quick service/1 snack/1 table service a day and since we are not big breakfast eaters we figure we will just split a quick service each day for breakfast AND lunch...making us hungry for a sit down dinner.

Dining Plans:
Day 1-Dinner Buffet at Grand Floridian with Cinderella and her family. Normally we wouldn't do a character buffet with an 18 year old but you have NO idea how much Georgie loves the stepsisters! (She played one of them in the musical Cinderella!) We will do Columbia Harbour House counter service for lunch.

Day 2-Boma (oh beautiful, beautiful Boma-My Choice and Georgie's pick.) Counter service will be Starring Rolls or possibly Pizza Planet depending on mood that day.

Day 3-Chefs De France (We have never eaten here. Hubby and I ate in the bistro upstairs for Valentine's one year and THAT was amazing!) We have been to France and are looking forward to escargots and the cheese plate for an appetizer which we will pay out of pocket for!) Sunshine Season's Food Fair for SURE for CS lunch.

Day 4-Cape May Buffet (this is Georgie's favorite and her request) No idea on CS lunch. Possibly Columbia Harbor House again or Tomorrowland Noodle Station IF its open.

Day 5-Breakfast Buffet at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Again, not big breakfast eaters but of the choices in Animal Kingdom we went with something they can't screw up!! We will definitely do Flame Tree Barbecue for counter service!!

Georgie has taken this year off to pursue acting full time and this was a big reason we are able to take a September trip...since we have not been able to a September trip since she was in elementary school (we homeschooled making annual passes and LOTS of trips to Disney the norm in our family) this will be a special trip! We have NEVER been able to do Night of Joy and are so excited that we can do it this year. Night of Joy is always in September! Whoo Hoo we get to go!!!

Other than auditioning for American Idol Experience we have no real, set in stone plans. We know Magical Express will get us to All Star Music around 10 pm and we will probably eat in the food court and take a short swim. Then off to Magic Kingdom the next morning, Night of Joy that night and then play it by ear the rest of the trip. We have been so many times and we know how to work a fastpass really well...I know with it being just the two of us we will get A LOT done.

Only one small concern...20 years ago I fell the ice and damaged my Achilles tendon. Recently I re-injured it...although how I'm not sure...and its been acting up a lot lately. I have crocs packed and purchased a pair of the hideous negative heel exercise sneakers...which seems to take a lot of pressure off my ankle. Hopefully I won't have too many issues with my ankle. I have the number for a few Florida scooter rental places JUST in case.

BTW...I'm PACKED for this trip...I pulled out everything on my list JUST to see how well it fit into my carry on bags...(we aren’t checking luggage...sorry I refuse to pay any more for my flight!) It all fit very well (we packed 3 days of clothes and a Tide 3 in 1 Laundry sheet) and also purchased all travel size items for toiletries. Well everything fit so well I couldn't see unpacking it all and even though NY is having another heat wave I'll make do without 3 summer shirts :) I actually fit 2 umbrellas, a visor, sunglasses and a couple of packages of granola bars and other snacks in my carry on! Wahhoo!!!

So now I just sit and wait until next Thursday!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter