Harry Potter Crowd Report Thread...

Wanted to know what the crowds would be like during the week following Christmas. I know the crowds at Disney are the largest of the year, but have also heard that the crowd levels at Universal are down comparatively speaking. Just wondering if anyone had any info/advice on this? Want to experience Grinchmas and HP. Were there for the grand opening and didn't get to experience the shops. Should this be a problem again? Doing a 1 day ticket for IOA only. Thanks for the replies.
All local theme parks are jammed that week and going to WWoHP is going to be an adventure. You won't catch me at any of the parks that week...and I live here.

how were the crowds this past saturday?

looks like we may be going Sat, 10/1 now so just curious how long the wait times are...

tks

Just wanted to chime in since I utilized this thread a lot the past few weeks.

We went yesterday, 9/18 and the crowds were AMAZING. FJ wasn't more than a 30 min wait all day!! Got to ride a few times :)

The entire park was like that, too.

We were planning on heading to Universal on Wed. Oct 5th. Is Wed usually a low crowd day. We may go for a 2nd day on that Sat or Sun which day would be least crowded. We have done Disney many times but never universal. It makes me nervous to not have enough info.

We want to absolutely do WWoHP it's the reason for the trip. Should we run there first at opening or go later in the day as some people suggest because we won't have early entry option?

What else should we not miss. It will be Me, DH, DD (9), DS (9), DD (3), DS (3). I don't do big coasters so I could take the little kids somewhere while DH takes the big kids on the coasters.

I would love to "zag" while everyone else "zigs" but I don't know where to find out that info.

We were planning on heading to Universal on Wed. Oct 5th. Is Wed usually a low crowd day. We may go for a 2nd day on that Sat or Sun which day would be least crowded. We have done Disney many times but never universal. It makes me nervous to not have enough info.

We want to absolutely do WWoHP it's the reason for the trip. Should we run there first at opening or go later in the day as some people suggest because we won't have early entry option?

What else should we not miss. It will be Me, DH, DD (9), DS (9), DD (3), DS (3). I don't do big coasters so I could take the little kids somewhere while DH takes the big kids on the coasters.

I would love to "zag" while everyone else "zigs" but I don't know where to find out that info.

Wednesday the 5th should be a light-crowd day. Whether you hit WWoHP early or late in the day is up to you, I've had success with both.

If you do return that weekend, generally Sundays will have much more manageable crowds than Saturdays. If that's Columbus Day weekend though--I think it is--the difference will be less noticeable.

i'll be at the parks from oct 4-12.
have been going during that time period the last 8 years staying onsite.

i can tell you that the tuesday, wednesday and thursday will have low crowds.
mainly tue and wed the best two days that week to go.

take the kids to seussland.
it is great!!

i'll join you and go on the rides with the kiddlettes...
i love that section of the park.
the 9 year olds will love the 'parade' of the fantastic four.
great for interacting and picture taking for that event.

i'll even volunteer to be your camera person....

if your husband goes on Hulk, Dr Doom, spidey, those areas i mentioned are in the same vicinity, kind of.
he could do the coasters and you can play with the children and still be intertained.

jurassic park discovery center is fun for all kids.
i'm sure they would like it.

i don't know what to tell you about going on sat/sun.
it will have it's crowds due to the columbus day weekend and hhn on those nights.
studios will close at 5 but ioa will stay open until 7.

usually sundays are great but i doubt it for that sunday the 9th.

Wednesday the 5th should be a light-crowd day. Whether you hit WWoHP early or late in the day is up to you, I've had success with both.

If you do return that weekend, generally Sundays will have much more manageable crowds than Saturdays. If that's Columbus Day weekend though--I think it is--the difference will be less noticeable.

mesa, it's a tough call for that weekend.
i have been there for it the last 8 years.

saturdays are always crowded and with it being columbus day weekend, a lot of out of towners will be there.
it should be light or low crowds up to 11:30.
off site peeps usually are in the parks around 11ish or so.
that is when the crowds appear.

sundays used to be great on that weekend until about 3 years back.
the secret is out and more use that weekend for a family time at the parks.

i know that the studios will be packed once it is about 2ish in the afternoon.
ioa will have large crowds for potterville.
rest of ioa should be decent for most of the day.
many that are going to do hhn, will be at ioa for the afternoon and switch over to the studios about 4ish.

unless it rains, i think the parks will have crowds in different sections.

i'll let you know how it is once i return from that upcoming trip.

i can only guess on crowd levels based on the past years of attending and being in both parks.

sundays used to be just a non peak night for hhn.
now it is open until 1:00 am for the event.

i watch the cost of the epp to get an idea of what universal projects crowds to be.
then i know which park to go to first.
even with the usage of the express lines, i still try to avoid long lines.

When you say it's busy on Saturdays, what can I expect? We will be there Saturday the 29th and we only have the one day for IOA. We are not staying on property so I am trying to decide if we should buy the express passes. We want to be sure to hit WWoHP, Spiderman, Ripsaw Falls, Jurassic Park, and Seussland. Any opinions on whether we will need them? I don't know what to expect for wait times; we have never been to Universal or IOA, just WDW.

be there when it opens and you will be ahead of crowds.

don't buy the ep until you are there and can judge the crowds.

you might not need it.

use the single rider line all you can.

eat at the off times to avoid crowds.

have fun!

We have a Disney trip planned for April 22-29 (a week later than most of the New England school vacations). We want to take one day to visit IoA. I think I've read that Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays are best. Can someone recommend the best day?

Thanks!

Hello, I hope I'm not repeating a question. I will be with my family on Oct 16 - Oct 22 on Orlando :cool1:. We will be offsite and the plan in to vist IoA on Oct 18 and US on Oct 22. We don't plan any HHN. Can you please let me know if this plan could work for those days?:thumbsup2

Thanks a lot!!!

So helpful in planning!

We're looking to hit IoA next Tuesday to (hopefully) avoid the holiday crowds. Question: the park is open until 6 while most other days is 7... is there a reason for that?

Also, how does rain play into WWoHP? Do most attractions still run? It's looking like we might get to play in a Florida storm (ahhh, gotta love the 3pm shower!) but we want to plan accordingly!

Thanks! Can't wait!!!

I was just there October 1-3 (Saturday, Sunday, Monday). Crowds were big at IOA but manageable all three days, same for US on Saturday and Sunday. US was almost a ghost town on Monday (no HHN that night).

Spent all day Saturday at IOA, Sunday at US all day then back to IOA when it closed (US closed at 5, IOA at 7). Monday I went back and forth.

On Saturday before 1:00, WWoHP crowds were low. Single rider line for FJ was walk-on, regular line about 20 minutes. In the afternoon it was intense (single rider 30+ minutes, regular line well over one hour). At 7:00 (park closing) the regular line was still going strong with about a 45-minute wait, but they still let on everyone who got in line before 7.

On Sunday evening, crowds were much lighter again - I showed up around 5:30, ate at Three Broomsticks, walked around and took pictures, and still rode FJ 5 times before park closing (single rider line). Regular line was about a 30 minute wait.

WWoHP crowds were biggest on Monday between 11-3, partially because the FJ ride kept breaking down. On Monday evening (6-7) there were hardly any people there and even the regular line for FJ was walk-on. I went through the tour line and got much better pictures than on Saturday, because there were no people in the ride line and you could see everything better.

Shops were very cramped all three days, worst on Monday. Lines for the Ollivander's show were reasonable Sat-Sun (20 minutes or less most of the day) and ridiculous on Monday (didn't ask, but the line was about twice the size of the day before - I'd estimate 45-60 minutes). Glad I saw it on Saturday.

Tip for buying wands: If you want a wand, and you want to buy it inside Ollivander's, look at the ones on display at the outdoor cart first and decide which one you want. There is almost no room to really look at the wands inside the store without other people bumping into you. And measure your suitcase ahead of time if you're flying home - the boxes are very long.

Tip for Butterbeer: If the lines at the outdoor carts are long, take a peek into the Hog's Head tavern. There were dozens of people waiting at the carts and only 4 people in line at the tavern. Plus grown-ups can buy adult beverages in the tavern, or you can get pear/apple cider or pumpkin juice - outside I think you only get butterbeer.

Tips for other souvenirs: WWoHP souvenirs are available in that area of the park and at various other gift shops throughout IOA and US. Beware that not all stores carry the same items. The shirt I liked the best was only at the IOA gift shop near the front of the park. If you're going more than one day, it might be worth it to check out your options and purchase later. Something else I learned about souvenir mugs: You can only buy a Hog's Head souvenir mug if you are purchasing an alcoholic beverage (they won't put butterbeer in it). If you buy butterbeer, you can only get the butterbeer souvenir mug (they won't put alcohol in it). Someone said it was to help monitor underage drinking (since only alcohol goes in the Hog's Head mugs, they will know if you buy it and gives it to someone under 21 with alcohol in it).

Lines for Dueling Dragons and Flight of the Hippogriff were short (5 minutes or less) for both rides most of the weekend.

Three Broomsticks was busy for most of Saturday, but no significant waits except at lunch. Didn't check it out until after 6 on Sunday, zero lines at that time. Did not go in on Monday, but glanced over from Hog's Head and it didn't look too busy.

If you want pictures of the storefronts/Hogsmeade, the best time to get them is after 6 pm, when there are fewer people in the park. Also, they turn on lights when it starts to get dark, which creates a very cool atmosphere that makes for some great pictures. From Marvel Comics land, you can get some awesome sunset pictures of Hogwarts castle and its reflection in the water.

If there is an odd day they are closing early, it could be because of a private event. They were doing something at US on Monday (tables set up in New York area around closing time).

We will be in Hogwarts on the 18th without early entry, sadly. Do they still route the offsite guests in another direction, or are we safe to assume we can travel by Green Eggs and Ham?
We plan to do WWoHP in the morning, skip over to Universal, then back to finish our Islands' adventure! I purchased the 2 park/1 day ticket and Express Pass just to be safe.
Have the locker/non-locker lines to FJ been changed at all? I know some were entering through Filch's. :rolleyes1 Thanks to this board, I have purchased a handy-dandy fanny pack to hopefully avoid the lockers.

We will be in Hogwarts on the 18th without early entry, sadly. Do they still route the offsite guests in another direction, or are we safe to assume we can travel by Green Eggs and Ham?
We plan to do WWoHP in the morning, skip over to Universal, then back to finish our Islands' adventure! I purchased the 2 park/1 day ticket and Express Pass just to be safe.
Have the locker/non-locker lines to FJ been changed at all? I know some were entering through Filch's. :rolleyes1 Thanks to this board, I have purchased a handy-dandy fanny pack to hopefully avoid the lockers.

I don't think you'll have any trouble going through Seuss and GE&H. I believe they do that other route for off-sites during more peak times. No changes to the lockers at FJ, either.

I don't think you'll have any trouble going through Seuss and GE&H. I believe they do that other route for off-sites during more peak times. No changes to the lockers at FJ, either.

Excellent! Thank you for all you do for us on this board! :thumbsup2

We were there Sept. 28, 30 and Oct. 3. Took the shortcut each time. The wait time was about 20 minutes for the wand show. Most rides were practically walk ons. The longest wait time we encountered was for Jaws which was about 1/2 an hour. I have no idea why that one was so long.

My son proposed to his girlfriend just after the wand show. He slipped away from us just after we entered IOA and bought a wand which she was intending to buy and slipped the ring on it. It was so funny watching him trying to hide this long box as we were waiting in line for the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter