Has anyone ever taken a nap on purpose in first aid at the parks?

Bete

DIS Veteran
I'm starting to plan a Disney 50th anniversary trip for us and our extended family. Because of the expense of needing three resort rooms I just don't think we will be able to swing staying onsite. I am crunching some numbers, now. We have a 9 day trip planned and we will be doing various parks, not just Disney. Of course, we will be going at a busy time; since, we are dealing with some school age kids. Our offsite resort would include a hot breakfast which means paying for one less meal each day.

The rumor mill is starting to say that Disney resorts will be at full capacity during their anniversary celebration. I'm sure other resorts including Disney Springs will be booming, too. This could potentially mean those staying offsite may not get into a park if they would leave for a break and come back later due to park capacity levels (like on NYE) being reached at the parks.

So, we have someone with medical conditions like kidney failure, stage three right now and AFib and he's a diabetic and will be 85 years old at the time of the trip. So far, he's holding his own and we take trips right now but our days out are never as long as a Disney park day would be. This person is use to taking a nap in the afternoon. Hence, this is my problem. I'm afraid we won't get back into the park if we leave for a nap. He'll be using a scooter in the parks.

So, I'm thinking he could take a 2 hour nap at first aid on a cot. Would his medical conditions be legimitate for us to do this in first aid? I think he could sleep even with the noise level that would be going on there. Obviously, I don't want to take space that might be needed for someone with an injury, either.

Has anyone out there ever taken a nap in first aid?

Last edited:
he can ask. depending on the circumstances at that moment, it could be doable. or not.

First Aid was not too kind when I needed to lay down for a few minutes one day. They let me us a wooden shelf with no pillow. I was not impressed.

I tend to catch a short nap in an attraction like Hall of Presidents.

First Aid is mostly attuned to helping children more than adults it seems. When it comes to every day activities like taking a break at least.

A short recovery rest the CMs should be fine with, but 2 hours would probably be pushing what they would be OK with though. I would not be surprised if he was nudged to go back to his hotel for a 2 hour rest. In the end it will probably come down to the space they have at the time.

I did not notice the specific dates of the trip in your post. Is the trip this year or 2021 for the actual 50th? This year you should not hit closures except for the usual times. Expectations for the 50th are anyones guess though. You can pretty much toss crowd calendars out the window for next year.

I think we will mix shows with rides and maybe he can catch a power nap at the show that way. We'll see if that will be enough for him. I'll be watching him carefully.

Also, I may opt for park hoppers; so, if one park does close we can try another park. This way, we may go back to the resort. I don't think it's too likely all four parks would have closures at the same time.

I appreciated the Disney dork article. That's the best explanation I've ever read about park closures.

Also, I will be keeping up with all the news regarding park attendance during the 50th celebration. If the crowds are impossible I may have to rethink the trip. With only 30 day fastpasses it may get ridiculous with the wait times for popular rides. I realize the picking will be slim. I can't see us waiting 3-4 hours for one of the popular rides.

We went last in Nov 2017 and it was manageable for us with the naps. This trip is being planned for Nov. 2021.

My husband was able to lie down in first aid when needed during our trip that we took a month after his back surgery. He had nothing but glowing reviews of his experiences with first aid. That said, he was never there even close to two hours, usually 45min to one hour, maybe an hour and 15min once when he fell asleep there.

It's not really a nap per se, but I specifically asked Guest Services if my wife could come into First Aid and lay down to rest her back, and they seemed very open to the idea. The response boiled down to "If someone came in who needed a bed we might send you packing, but otherwise you'd be welcome."

I think when people talk about capacity crowds for the anniversary, they are talking more about the week that includes October 1, more than the entire 12-18 months that a celebration may be going on. Since your trip is in November, it may not be completely booked. I would at least try to get an on property reservation to make taking a real break easier. Getting a DS hotel is a good second choice, as you get the extended FP window, but you lose the ease of transportation. I do not believe the parks will be at capacity due to the celebration specifically, with the exception of October 1st itself. If your stay overlaps any regular holidays or school breaks, it will be more crowded. I don’t think you would have issues getting into the parks after an afternoon break, but for a two hour nap, your break will end up closer to 3 1/2 hours with travel time. On property, people are free to come and go more easily, and the group may not feel as obligated to all stay together for break time like they might if you are staying off property. Just some random thoughts . . .

My step-dad (70) can nap anywhere, when were at the parks, he just took his scooter over to a quieter area (Splash Mountain was closed for Refurb, so he went over there) and napped/rested in his scooter for a couple hours. For the most part we tried to build in afternoons away from the park (staying off-site) but with scooters and the monorail, it was easier just to stay at MK all day.

We got off the Fantasy, We checked into Pop and then took the skyliner with DH ECV.. After arriving he felt off so we went to the Baby Care Center and they gave him a cot and a cubicle. They were very nice. There was another adult in the next cot . I guess it depends if they have room.

Attachments

• 5679A6D1-86E8-4751-B099-097FAA162BC7.jpeg
    5679A6D1-86E8-4751-B099-097FAA162BC7.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
I get frequent migraines. The triptans that I take cause dizziness so I have to lay down. The Epcot first aid nurses had no problem letting me stay there. Didn't get any weird looks or anything.

I get frequent migraines. The triptans that I take cause dizziness so I have to lay down. The Epcot first aid nurses had no problem letting me stay there. Didn't get any weird looks or anything.

I would think being dizzy is a bit different than just needing a nap.

OP--I would definitely look at getting rooms at a value resort. Pack breakfast items you can eat in your room, if you are trying to keep the food budget down. Fruit, cereal, instant breakfast shakes, all are good options. If you know you are going when the parks will be very busy, and know you have people who will need to leave the parks for a mid day break, the on site is definitely the way to go.

There are many ways to save money on some of the other things like food that we can help you with. It is so much easier to split up and take breaks when you are staying on site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter