Has anyWine seen my Poutine? A friendly January 2020 dining report * The Plaza Part 2 4/24**

Maybe you could talk the boys into breakfast at Tusker House for your September trip. The food options are great and the characters are cute. We have taken our grandchildren there and it has always been a hit. :)

We found it by Steve honing in on a chair when he noticed a family getting ready to leave and sat there talking to them about Starbucks lol. Hey it did the trick!
Very smart! :) This is a great way to get a table.
First of all it was pretty much required that Molly get this being from Wisconsin; I think it's against the law if someone from there and there's an item on a menu with Wisconsin CHEESE and they don't get it, right?
Wisconsin cheese is the best and since we live only about 60 miles from Wisconsin we feel obligated to make sure our dairy products are from there. The California dairy industry has entered our market but that is just wrong. Why should we buy dairy products that have to travel 2,000 miles to get to our area. It doesn't make sense.

Nomad Lounge is such a gem. I could spend an entire day out there on the porch! The Hightower Rocks is my drink of choice as well - can't go wrong with tequila! And Flying Fish is one of my all-time favorites. I haven't tried the burrata though - will have to give that a try on an upcoming trip.

Well it does have tons of coconut all over it :ssst: Otherwise I'm honestly not 100% sure! They aren't obvious but I've always thought I taste some type of nuts; I never ask since I don't have any issues with any nuts. The crust is like a heavier and a bit sweeter graham cracker crust/blondie brownie cross? so I don't think any nuts there. Then you have little chocolate pieces like broken m&m's, small pieces of chocolate chips, the coconut and again I swear something else I can't place. Since they are supposed to be at POR too and we're there for 1 night in April I'll ask!
I know this will be difficult research for you so I appreciate you doing it for me.....;)
About half past hanger time we headed over to one of our homes away from home at our "home", Nomad Lounge! It was PACKED outside and inside too; remember this was a holiday weekend. We were also meeting a few more friends so needed lots of space! We found it by Steve honing in on a chair when he noticed a family getting ready to leave and sat there talking to them about Starbucks lol. Hey it did the trick! Eventually when everyone arrived it looked like this minus a few:
My favourite spot! Although I always hang out on the veranda.....I've never actually been inside!
Most of us started with apps and both Molly and I got the

Wisconsin Burrata
Pear, Marcona Almonds, Blueberry-White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Yum! Adding this to my list of must try items!

Steve's looks like water, tasted like vodka! Huckleberry vodka to be exact. Steve asked what kind of flavored vodka they had and the answer was this. They use it in some of their signature drinks like the Huckleberry Punch AND Geyser Point is the only place on property that you can get it. Steve really enjoyed it even though it was a bit on the sweet side with a tropically-berry taste.
I need to find some Huckleberry Vodka!

probably Akershus and I'm seriously considering Bon Voyage since I want the food but don't want to do the characters just Steve and I and the boys flat out refuse.
You should def do Bon Voyage! The food is good and the characters are great for the little lady!

I need to share this because I'm not sure *** with my face:

Hilarious!

This is too cute!!!

I know that's a great picture but I assure you these are delicious and blow away the park churros. They were fresh, hot, soft and sweet and both sauces were great. The vanilla was no overly sweet and the strawberry chili had a kick to it that wasn't overpowering.
We had these in February. The chocolate is Spicy!!!

Nomad Lounge was awesome but Flying Fish was pure Heaven! The food, service and company were top notch!!!!
I miss you all so much❤
I know lady with the funny hair, I miss you too 👱‍♀️ wait I mean 👩‍🦱 lol
I'm sorry but :rotfl2:
He just snaps like 10 pictures in a row all the time and gets me with the most messed up faces lol
I had a sangria...maybe Serengeti Sangria (or did I just make that up...lol). It wasn't nearly as good as the other sangria I've had here (the one in July was good) and other places at Disney though. Boo.
Yeah I've tried the Serengeti Sangria too and it's like the only Disney sangria I did't like besides the one at House of Blues. That 4th of July one was great!
Looks like a fun trip!! One of these times maybe we will overlap LOL!
Well we've gone MLK weekend the last 2 years so maybe given the January dates for your CM thing we'll overlap then :goodvibes
I have had that Wisconsin Burrata at Flying Fish and concur it is delicious. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your food. This is our one and only restaurant must do for next month.
I read in your report that you're going there! Every time I see that picture of my burrata I want to go back!
Hm maybe since we have to miss out on Tiffins this next trip we can swing into Nomad Lounge instead as we've never been there either and those churros look great...my family would love them...I'm not a big fan unless there is chocolate for dipping.
Definitely go since you haven't been. The strawberry is like a chocolate chili dip if you don't mind spice. The other food items are great and you can order off Tiffin's menu too!
Jimmy's favorite restaurant continues to be CRT, LOL. I selfishly hope he never outgrows his love of his favorite girl, 'ella!!
I absolutely love that 🥰 and I hope even if at some point he has a few years where he doesn't want to do princesses, he goes back to it after!
We really love Akershus as a substitute though, especially when I'm trying to pinch dining credits. We had a spectacular server there in December, and we enjoyed our breakfast. Never tried lunch or dinner there because I'm afraid of being adventurous with Norweigian food! But the princess interaction is really great, especially when they invite the kids to do the Princess Promenade through the restaurant. (Yes, my 10 year old son did participate and bowl over a child or two to be close to Cinderella)!
LOL I have pictures of our boys doing the princess promenade! We haven't done breakfast but did do lunch twice and while we didn't love the food it was good and we all found stuff we liked. I actually sat with my DIL during the week and she said she wanted to do either breakfast or lunch there so I'll see what fits best in our schedule :thumbsup2
wasn't previously aware that Wisconsin had their own burrata but now I must try it.
:laughing: I wasn't either, I'm not up on which states have what specific cheeses as their own specialties but I will never usually turn down a burrata!
So glad I found your dining review! Sometimes I forget to switch TR boards. I'm a longtime lurker, intermittent poster, but I couldn't pass up commenting on your earlier post...
Hello and :welcome:! I do the same thing when I don't have a dining report going and I also always forget to check the PTR board!
So I know Steve is limiting his mule intake, but we can buy huckleberry vodka at our local liquor store. It makes a fantastic mule! Just in case he needs an idea for the next trip... 😊
Thank you! Going to look in the stores by us, I've never seen it but of course have never looked :)
hat's going to be such a fun trip!
I cannot WAIT! Went over to my DIL's on Friday and we talked more about dining and she's so excited so it got me all excited! I feel so lucky I get to show her AND Hayden around on their first ever WDW trip :love:

Maybe you could talk the boys into breakfast at Tusker House for your September trip. The food options are great and the characters are cute. We have taken our grandchildren there and it has always been a hit. :)
We've done like every meal at Tusker House :) And we do like it! The boys are just not into doing the characters anymore unfortunately :( Although last July Chris did request one character meal so we did the breakfast at Cape May which was great and Chris got up and had his pictures taken with the characters (Ricky declined). So far for this year Chris has said no characters but there's always a chance he'll change his mind and we can add one! However even in that case it won't be with princesses lol. Have to wait until Sept. for that!
Wisconsin cheese is the best and since we live only about 60 miles from Wisconsin we feel obligated to make sure our dairy products are from there.
Ah that's right you're not far! I would do the same. We try buying wine from local wineries and just other local food products in general.
Nomad Lounge is such a gem. I could spend an entire day out there on the porch! The Hightower Rocks is my drink of choice as well - can't go wrong with tequila! And Flying Fish is one of my all-time favorites. I haven't tried the burrata though - will have to give that a try on an upcoming trip.
I do love sitting outside and it's always my preference! The last few times we've been there's no room outside - the Nomad Lounge secret is definitely out!
I am so glad we tried FF finally! I enjoy so many of the signatures and it's harder now to pick my fave but FF and Jiko definitely are up there with Citricos.
I know this will be difficult research for you so I appreciate you doing it for me.....;)
:laughing: I happened to ask Steve today and he said he *thinks" it may have walnuts in it?? So again, I'll HAVE to ask and do a specific taste test next month lol
My favourite spot! Although I always hang out on the veranda.....I've never actually been inside!:)
Funny! I always rather sit outside but lately it's always crowded out there.
You should def do Bon Voyage! The food is good and the characters are great for the little lady!
I talked to Candace ( DIL) on Friday and she absolutely definitely wants to do the breakfast so fingers crossed it happens :goodvibes The food looks and sounds so good!
This is too cute!!!
I was laughing when I realized they were discussing different dinosaurs :D

DID SOMEBODY SAY SHRIMP???

Because if you say it, Steve will come. Especially if it's his Steve shrimp from the Flower and Garden Festival but since this trip was in January he sufficed with other forms of shrimp including this app at FF; follow along as I continue with our dinner!

Jumbo Shrimp
Crispy Serrano Ham, Citrus

He was in love with this - those are good sized shrimp right?? - you know I don't eat them. But he was in awe of the deliciousness and I know someone else at the table got this and felt the same. I think @Mollydolly334 may have gotten this as her meal.

We were all having a wonderful time talking and laughing (and drinking) as we always do, waiting for our entrees. Little did I know I was about to taste what would, and this is hard for me to admit, replace the Citricos filet as my Disney favorite:

Angus Filet Mignon
Asparagus, Sweet Onion Risotto, Truffle Sauce

So first we'll touch on the onion risotto. This was beyond any mashed potato creation I have had with my Disney filets ever and beyond any risotto I've had. Creamy to perfection, sweet oniony flavor and was cooked perfectly. I wanted more and ate every bite. Then that filet OMG it was cooked a perfect medium and had the best flavor I've ever tasted. The truffle sauce totally makes this; I love the Bordelaise sauce on the Citricos filet but this truffle sauce was so DIFFERENT tasting and really brought out the flavor and I think the quality of the meat! I usually leave a few bites of filet - don't know why- but not this time. The asparagus yes but not the risotto or filet! I am dying to go back and have this same meal again before Disney does what it does best and removes either or from their menu.

Steve had the swordfish and for some reason I don't have a pic so google will stand in:

Swordfish
Vegetable Mélange, Potato Beurre Blanc

Going to be honest, not sure this is what his looked like because Molly was between him and I and I had just a bit of wine but it looks good enough! And he was happy enough that afterwards he agreed this is definitely a contender for our favorite signature.

I think we left right around the time FF was closing; we all skipped dessert as there was a destination almost next door we wanted to try instead. First we stopped for some pics:

@Mollydolly334 me, @pepperandchips and @Jenny Sanders

All my pretty blonde friends :love:

And then it was on to the ice cream! It was someone's first time at Ample Hills - jenny? - and everyone partook here. No pictures other than my double scoop:

I know you're like, "yeah it's ice cream" :rolleyes: just proving it happened! I got the same thing I'd gotten on our last visit in December:

Baked/Unbaked
Vanilla Ice Cream with pieces of House-made Chocolate Chip Cookies and Brown Butter Cookie Dough

There are a few flavors I love but this one is different than anything you can get anywhere else! We stood outside eating and talking for a bit and finally decided to call it a night around 11-11:30. It was such a great night of friends and food; luckily we'd all be seeing each other again! Tomorrow would be breakfast somewhere we hadn't eaten in 10 years and "dinner" at a favorite :goodvibes

Because if you say it, Steve will come. Especially if it's his Steve shrimp from the Flower and Garden Festival

I already showed that menu to Mike and told him he HAS to try Steve's shrimp in a couple weeks!

pics:

All my pretty blonde friends :love:

:love:

We stood outside eating and talking for a bit and finally decided to call it a night around 11-11:30. It was such a great night of friends and food;

Sounds like such a great night! And I'll have to consider FF in the future. I kind of forget about it over there!

Wow your meal at Flying Fish sounds delicious and how wonderful to enjoy it with good Dis friends.

:love: :love: :love: Ample Hills ice cream!

Angus Filet Mignon
Asparagus, Sweet Onion Risotto, Truffle Sauce

So first we'll touch on the onion risotto. This was beyond any mashed potato creation I have had with my Disney filets ever and beyond any risotto I've had. Creamy to perfection, sweet oniony flavor and was cooked perfectly. I wanted more and ate every bite. Then that filet OMG it was cooked a perfect medium and had the best flavor I've ever tasted. The truffle sauce totally makes this; I love the Bordelaise sauce on the Citricos filet but this truffle sauce was so DIFFERENT tasting and really brought out the flavor and I think the quality of the meat! I usually leave a few bites of filet - don't know why- but not this time. The asparagus yes but not the risotto or filet! I am dying to go back and have this same meal again before Disney does what it does best and removes either or from their menu.
Ohhhhh, I so hope they still have this in June!! *Fingers crossed*

What a fun night! Such serendipity that it all came together at the last minute (well, Disney last minute - i.e. not 180 days out). I've had the swordfish and loved it. May need to try the filet next time … know what high praise it is for you to rate something above Citricos!

I talked to Candace ( DIL) on Friday and she absolutely definitely wants to do the breakfast so fingers crossed it happens :goodvibes The food looks and sounds so good!
YEAH!!!!! Meeting the FlynN Rider is the best part. Someone has to get the Breakfast Calazone!!!! SOOOO good. I seriously want to go back just for that.

So first we'll touch on the onion risotto. This was beyond any mashed potato creation I have had with my Disney filets ever and beyond any risotto I've had. Creamy to perfection, sweet oniony flavor and was cooked perfectly. I wanted more and ate every bite.
I love risotto and this sounds amazing!

Great picture!

ll my pretty blonde friends :love:

Ha! Blondes are the best...

I already showed that menu to Mike and told him he HAS to try Steve's shrimp in a couple weeks!
Yay! Doesn't quite make up for the lack of a Refreshment Port BM >:( but still good! You'll have to get him the BM from Dawa Bar in AK to make up for it.
Sounds like such a great night! And I'll have to consider FF in the future. I kind of forget about it over there!
It was one of just a couple signatures we hadn't been to and pretty much for the same reason! We were actually supposed to go with jenny and Joe that night we did TOTWL in May but cancelled after hour huge CG brunch (and I'm so glad we did) :goodvibes
Umm, not anymore.
1 gorgeous redhead:rotfl2:.
2 beautiful blonds
and Ursula...
:rotfl:It's really not that bad!!!
Such great company for your dinner and dessert (YUM on the ice cream choice you made!!!!)
For last minute plans it worked out so well! And yes that ice cream 💕 I don't automatically think of going there but Steve brings it up pretty much every trip lol
The food looks very yummy at FF, and what a fun night for you all!
Delicious! Have you and Andi ever been there?
Did you see the finale? I cried! I always feel sad for those girls
I did and yes I do too. Steve is more a fan of the show than I am believe it or not and I go back and forth with what I think of Teresa and Melissa but definitely feel bad for those girls. I cried when they got to Italy and ran up to their dad..............
Burrata is life. I'm glad WDW is getting on board with it.
It's showing up more and more on menus there and that's ok with me!

Wow your meal at Flying Fish sounds delicious and how wonderful to enjoy it with good Dis friends.
It was so much better than I thought it would be and even BETTER being a last minute addition!
Ohhhhh, I so hope they still have this in June!! *Fingers crossed*
I think it's been that way for awhile so you should be in luck :thumbsup2 Glad you're going!
What a fun night! Such serendipity that it all came together at the last minute (well, Disney last minute - i.e. not 180 days out). I've had the swordfish and loved it.
I know, I find that our unplanned "plans" - whether with friends or when we're there with the boys - always end up being some of our best days/nights :goodvibes
May need to try the filet next time … know what high praise it is for you to rate something above Citricos!
Ha ha it is, I'm like the poster child for Citricos! Part of that I know is Rony as well as the other servers we've had there plus we've never had a dish we didn't love. But there was something about that sauce on the FF filet......it stays in my dreams :laughing:
Someone has to get the Breakfast Calazone!!!!
I have a feeling Steve will get that, I've read great reviews of it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter