Has the weather gone back to "normal"?

ninafeliz

DIS Veteran
Seems like for the last few weeks I've been seeing all kinds of threads about solid rainy days for days on end, trips with rain the entire week, and I know a TS went through as well. Has that passed for the most part, and is the weather back to the usual warm/hot with a likely quick thunderstorm at some point most days? I can't really tell from the forecast, since there is a decent chance of rain most days but I know that's usual, and I can't tell if it's the typical thunderstorms or the solid rain. I'm hoping it's worked it's way out and is back to normal! I know just put on ponchos and go, blah blah blah, but with 4 young kids we really are miserable when it rains for long periods, and can't really do the parks easily at all so fingers crossed. We've gone in May and August a lot, but never June, so maybe I just don't know what to expect either.

How has the weather for your trips been in May been in the past? We went mid-May this year and it rained for 8 straight days. We had a great time anyway, but my kids hated ponchos. I think we will be booking May again and I'll pack real raincoats for them, but I'm hoping that May will typically have better weather than what we got this year. CM's told us that end of May and June is their rainy season. I think that you might get afternoon showers, but not sure about the constant rain and I don't blame you about worrying about it. It was definitely difficult navigating the parks with soaking wet strollers, ponchos and wet feet. You will still have a great time though! :)

How has the weather for your trips been in May been in the past? We went mid-May this year and it rained for 8 straight days. We had a great time anyway, but my kids hated ponchos. I think we will be booking May again and I'll pack real raincoats for them, but I'm hoping that May will typically have better weather than what we got this year. CM's told us that end of May and June is their rainy season. I think that you might get afternoon showers, but not sure about the constant rain and I don't blame you about worrying about it. It was definitely difficult navigating the parks with soaking wet strollers, ponchos and wet feet. You will still have a great time though! :)

We usually went in early May, the first week, and typically had very good weather. We didn't find the daily storms like you get in August, it would be cool in the morning and evening (I would wear a sweater) and get warm for swimming mid day. We didn't have much rain for our trips, I can't remember any with multiple rainy days, maybe just some rain here and there on a usual trip, just not the big humid storms. We would probably go then again as opposed to June, but now we have to work around school since we can't take them out of even elementary school for a 2 week trip, particularly at the end of the year when they may have already missed their maximum allowed days due to illnesses.

Yes, my DH (and I actually agree) really tried to avoid the parks with the babies if its going to rain. even with just the older kids it isn't fun unless it's a passing storm we can just wait out. I envy the people who can truly go and have their usual fun in the rain - we just can't. wet bags, feet, hair, phones - trying to keep it all under ponchos and/or umbrellas - we just throw in the towel pretty easily. maybe when the kids are teens we'll feel differently. we've been lucky - in my 40 some trips, I've only had one that had more than the usual florida rain, and I think that was in summer. I hope I didn't just jinx my upcoming trip! We did find August to get tiring with frequently planning places to run into when the radar showed the impending storm, but otherwise it worked for us so we did 3 or 4 years in a row of mid august. This year we decided to try the beginning of summer break instead of the end.

We usually went in early May, the first week, and typically had very good weather. We didn't find the daily storms like you get in August, it would be cool in the morning and evening (I would wear a sweater) and get warm for swimming mid day. We didn't have much rain for our trips, I can't remember any with multiple rainy days, maybe just some rain here and there on a usual trip, just not the big humid storms. We would probably go then again as opposed to June, but now we have to work around school since we can't take them out of even elementary school for a 2 week trip, particularly at the end of the year when they may have already missed their maximum allowed days due to illnesses.

Yes, my DH (and I actually agree) really tried to avoid the parks with the babies if its going to rain. even with just the older kids it isn't fun unless it's a passing storm we can just wait out. I envy the people who can truly go and have their usual fun in the rain - we just can't. wet bags, feet, hair, phones - trying to keep it all under ponchos and/or umbrellas - we just throw in the towel pretty easily. maybe when the kids are teens we'll feel differently. we've been lucky - in my 40 some trips, I've only had one that had more than the usual florida rain, and I think that was in summer. I hope I didn't just jinx my upcoming trip! We did find August to get tiring with frequently planning places to run into when the radar showed the impending storm, but otherwise it worked for us so we did 3 or 4 years in a row of mid august. This year we decided to try the beginning of summer break instead of the end.
We're going to try to get AP's and do 2 May trips for 2019 and 2020. I'm going to pull my oldest out of school for 6 days for the trips and pray he doesn't miss school for too many sick days. I'm hoping the weather is better for those future trips than we got this year. Like I said, we definitely made the most of it and had a great trip, but we had to scatter and find cover during the rain and sometimes the rain didn't let up, which made things difficult. I hope that you just get some passing afternoon showers for your trip!

Living here for 22 years, I can tell you that the weather is predicted to turn more "summer/rainy season like" this week. It's been a wet May but not horribly. It's raining today off and on in Tampa Bay area but not steady. Later this week we return to a 30-50% daily chance (mostly afternoon storms) and highs near 90 everyday. That was as of this morning's forecast locally.

We always go in May from 2nd-3rd week (usually last day is Canadian Victoria Day Monday). This year was the first year we have had rain, solid rain. in the past, we had a few showers here and there (often overnight). And we've been going that same week for about 10 years. But, I believe weather is entirely what you make it. We figured out the pattern and went ahead with all of our plans. Blue Sky and hot in the morning so early mornings it was! Clouds and rain through the afternoon and evening. BUT...and it's a big BUT...we didn't alter one plan. We put on our ponchos and raincoats, and went ahead. Sure, we added in a few more character meet and greets and didn't do a ton of coaster repeats, but that was about it. We have 4 yr old twins and they put on their coats and splashed in puddles (and in some cases flooding by Mickey's Philharmagic) and had a blast! Still hot so lots of ice cream and treats! Sure, nicer weather would have been great, but it's one of the things you can't control, so we didn't try and just went with it. In fact, our guys got so many compliments on their raincoats that they were excited when a cast member would say "Look who's coming...Captain America and Spiderman!"

The one thing I learned: I missed a huge opportunity by not starting a company that produces ponchos to the Walt Disney Company. :rotfl:

I was curious about how the weather was as well. We head to WDW next Friday & they've got rain in the forecast every day. Hoping for just some quick showers as well, those I can deal with :)

Pulled into the Fort Sunday afternoon, rainy but light. We waited out the rain in Meadows trading post until cabin ready, had our ponchos ready to get golf cart. Zipped around Fort in our ponchos-the rain was so light it was more a mist. Went to meet friends at AK and stayed til park close. Rain was gone for the night within an hour and half or so. Monday- no rain where we were-threatened and dark clouds, and I think the chance was pretty high so it probably did rain somewhere in Orlando area. Tuesday- great morning, rain for a couple hours in late afternoon. Had storm warning until 2pm today, and started raining noonish? Gone by 3 when we caught launch to MK, but rain chances were 40-50% rest of evening. Packed ponchos just in case, only used them on Splash Mountain. In fact it was downright pleasant this evening! Son even had his hoodie on by end of night, but I was comfortable in a sundress.

Seems to be usual pattern so far...

I was wondering the same thing for my upcoming trip in less than 2 weeks. I looked at Weather.com, Accuweather.com, and Wunderground.com. They did not agree with each other. *sigh* I'll check again the day before I leave (i.e. packing day).

I'll be using an ECV while there, so would really prefer not to have continuous rain. If need be, I'll put on my rain poncho and cover the tiller with a clear showercap and enjoy the rain. Just have to avoid the puddles.

Just a suggestion about rain ponchos - Get a heavy duty re-usable one. I used to swear by the disposable ones, until one especially steamy Disney trip. Between the wind blowing it all over, sticking to my skin, and the hood letting more rain in than it kept out; I had enough.

I will say it again. I live here. 70 miles due west of WDW. Constant rain or a full day of rain here is VERY rare. Yes you could get afternoon storms. In fact, you should plan for them. We are tipping into full rainy season in FL. Plan rain everyday between 3-6 and if you don't get it, fantastic. But full rainy days? No. In 22 years, other than a hurricane, we probably only get full rainy days maybe 10-20 days out of the year. Cloudy and gloomy days yes but not constant rain.
Besides, a rainy day at WDW is better than any day at work.

Looks like another torrential rain event coming later this week with 2-3 inches of rain. Pack rain gear and extra shoes.

I was just browsing the boards tonight to kill time before getting the kids ready for bed and stumbled across my own post. We just got back from our 2 week trip and I will now answer my own question- yes, the weather was back to “normal”! Short rains or storms many days, a few days with no rain, and one evening that was rainy for most of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter