Haunted Mansion closed in Jan 2024?

So on a related note: does Disney have an official channel to announce news about stuff like this, or is it just the website? My Disneyland trip is "kinda-sorta" on hold till I know for sure what the deal is regarding refurbs in the parks, but if it turns out to not clash with my schedule, I want to know ASAP so I can move on tickets and such.
The only way to know for sure is when they update their calendar and that's a few weeks before each date. I would honestly just make peace with the fact there will be refurbs during your time and make the best of it when you know which ones for sure.

The only way to know for sure is when they update their calendar and that's a few weeks before each date. I would honestly just make peace with the fact there will be refurbs during your time and make the best of it when you know which ones for sure.
I agree, Hardly anytime does not have a show or an attraction on refurb. Disneyland is doing refurbs all the time now.

Was planning to revisit mid sept for Halloween. Specifically HM overlay.

Complicated trip for us as we do multi stops, Vegas included. Hate to book NR air and Hm is still down

Many bloggers seem to think HM will be back up to show off the new renovations for D23 starting 8/9/24

Makes sense to me to just leave up the Nightmare before Xmas overlay & resume operations a few weeks earlier than their norm

What do I know. Madams leota isn’t talking either.

Any thots from the locals?

Was planning to revisit mid sept for Halloween. Specifically HM overlay.

Complicated trip for us as we do multi stops, Vegas included. Hate to book NR air and Hm is still down

Many bloggers seem to think HM will be back up to show off the new renovations for D23 starting 8/9/24

Makes sense to me to just leave up the Nightmare before Xmas overlay & resume operations a few weeks earlier than their norm

What do I know. Madams leota isn’t talking either.

Any thots from the locals?
HI.
August 9, 2024 is HM's 55th anniversary. Regardless of D23, the HM will not reopen probably until August 23. Disneyland is not going to preview the HMH before Halloween Time starts on Friday, 8/23. My guess!!

Last edited:
HI.
August 9, 2024 is HM's 55th anniversary. Regardless of D23, the HM will not reopen probably until August 23. Disneyland is not going to preview the HMH before Halloween Time starts on Friday, 8/23.
You don't actually know this for sure. It is your speculation. Let's keep facts as facts and guesses as guesses :)

Yes my speculation!! @starlite_
It does not look good for regular HM in 2024. I wish we had it. Just like the bloggers speculate. We just have to watch the DL calendar everyday! 2 very famous internet/You Tubers think it will not be back until 8/23.

Also you would think Disneyland would want HM to do a 55th event for it. It is a shame there will probablybe no event for it! The HM should get the attention! I know the HMH overlay brings the locals in but you would think they could do it only in November and December. Let the HM be open on Halloween...do some seasonal decorations and maybe a huge Halloween cake on the dining room table in the ballroom and a Halloween tree in the ballroom for Halloween Time!

Yes my speculation!! @starlite_
It does not look good for regular HM in 2024. I wish we had it. Just like the bloggers speculate. We just have to watch the DL calendar everyday! 2 very famous internet/You Tubers think it will not be back until 8/23.
Is there any factual basis for the claims that HM will be down for most of 2024?

Is there any factual basis for the claims that HM will be down for most of 2024?
I have not seen or heard anything concrete from Disney. ALL speculation from everyone at this point. I guess based on construction history and budgets plus refurb calendar, people think it will take 6+ months.

Last edited:
I think the ADA access and elevator will take the longest. It is subject to California and Federal inspection and regulations. All the signoffs could take a while.

No. On the contrary, a cast member friend of a poster here said it is expected to open in late May or June.

This is what happens when there are 4 threads dedicated to the same topic.
Cast member friend is based on speculation too. I guess we have to see how long it will take. 3 months for a new elevator and ADA access plus all the new queue installation and alterations plus the new gift shop is very ambitious for any business and probably too ambitious for DL.

Cast member friend is based on speculation too. I guess we have to see how long it will take. 3 months for a new elevator and ADA access plus all the new queue installation and alterations plus the new gift shop is very ambitious for any business and probably too ambitious for DL.
Is it? I don't think they will be building the gift shop at the same time tbh.

Is it? I don't think they will be building the gift shop at the same time tbh.
In my opinion, yes. It takes 2 weeks to remove overlay every year. Based on Disneyland's history of construction, refurbs and budgets. It is speculated the elevator will be near or actually exit in the gift shop. I suspect all the construction be done at once...given the gift's shop's proximity to Tiana's Bayou Adventure. February, March, April, May, June, July and most of August should be enough time for all the construction.

In my opinion, yes. It takes 2 weeks to remove overlay every year. Based on Disneyland's history of construction, refurbs and budgets. It is speculated the elevator will be near or actually exit in the gift shop. I suspect all the construction be done at once...given the gift's shop's proximity to Tiana's Bayou Adventure. February, March, April, May, June, July and most of August should be enough time for all the construction.
The thing is ... I don't see them hiring enough ppl to do that all at once, I think they might move the same crew around all the updates on HM. IMO it would make sense to build the elevator first, that is the only time the ride actually needs to be closed for, then the queue and then the gift shop. For the last 2 there is no need to close the ride at all, the building is happening outside.

We shall see, its a big project.

The thing is ... I don't see them hiring enough ppl to do that all at once, I think they might move the same crew around all the updates on HM. IMO it would make sense to build the elevator first, that is the only time the ride actually needs to be closed for, then the queue and then the gift shop. For the last 2 there is no need to close the ride at all, the building is happening outside.

We shall see, its a big project.
Yes it is a big project.

The type of construction involved with the outdoor queue is very very different than an elevator installation. You can install an elevator fairly quickly. Outside contractors will be doing the elevators I suspect while other contractors will be doing the queue work and gift shop.
I do not think they are going to open the ride until at least the elevator and ADA access and queues are complete. The gift shop is separate in its construction.

All new electric lines will be installed as well.

You are assuming that the elevator and the gift shop are not connected at all. If the elevator is close enough toward the exit that is close enough to the gift shop. I think all of the construction will be done together.

It makes sense to me. Disneyland will shift HM Cast members to other roles and get the HM done all at once.

If it is done as you say, the construction will take much longer before a complete and brand new product is available. I think Disneyland wants the HM, the gift shop, TIana's Bayou Adventure and the Briar Rabbit shop all done within the same time.

Also you cannot have a functioning exit for the HM so close to the gift shop construction. Safety and building codes will dictate. You cannot have so many people so close to construction for liability and safety reasons.

Yes it is a big project.

The type of construction involved with the outdoor queue is very very different than an elevator installation. You can install an elevator fairly quickly. Outside contractors will be doing the elevators I suspect while other contractors will be doing the queue work and gift shop.
I do not think they are going to open the ride until at least the elevator and ADA access and queues are complete. The gift shop is separate in its construction.

All new electric lines will be installed as well.

You are assuming that the elevator and the gift shop are not connected at all. If the elevator is close enough toward the exit that is close enough to the gift shop. I think all of the construction will be done together.

It makes sense to me. Disneyland will shift HM Cast members to other roles and get the HM done all at once.

If it is done as you say, the construction will take much longer before a complete and brand new product is available. I think Disneyland wants the HM, the gift shop, TIana's Bayou Adventure and the Briar Rabbit shop all done within the same time.

Also you cannot have a functioning exit for the HM so close to the gift shop construction. Safety and building codes will dictate. You cannot have so many people so close to construction for liability and safety reasons.
Eh, they have proved that they will get the least amount of cast members possible for something. It stands to reason that they will do the same for construction. Specially considering they are supposedly using at least some of WDW Tiana's crew to build the DLR one. If they can't get 2 crews to build in 2 states, why would they get 2 crews to build just HM?

Now, do I hope they get a hundred construction workers and it's all build in a few months? Yes of course! I am just not very inclined to believe they will spend the money for it 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter