Have Resort Prices Really Increased This Much?

meeko987

Earning My Ears
Until COVID, we were going to Disney World every year during the week between Christmas and New Year's.

In 2018, a Garden View at French Quarter was $314/night before taxes and fees.
In 2019, the same room was $316/night.
This year, the same room is $411/night.

I'm a bit taken aback. At $311/night, Pop Century is now the price of what I was paying for French Quarter just 3 years ago.

I understand that this may be the new reality, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something. Are the moderates really $400+ night nowadays during busy season?

Thank you kindly for your thoughts.

Until COVID, we were going to Disney World every year during the week between Christmas and New Year's.

In 2018, a Garden View at French Quarter was $314/night before taxes and fees.
In 2019, the same room was $316/night.
This year, the same room is $411/night.

I'm a bit taken aback. At $311/night, Pop Century is now the price of what I was paying for French Quarter just 3 years ago.

I understand that this may be the new reality, but I want to make sure that I'm not missing something. Are the moderates really $400+ night nowadays during busy season?

Thank you kindly for your thoughts.
Yes. They are. And if your heart can take it, here's a link to POFQ's 2023 rack rates (tax included in prices):

https://www.mousesavers.com/2023-port-orleans-french-quarter-room-rates-season-dates/#rates

Yup, I used to go every year to Pop Century since it used to be the same price a the All-Stars - it's no longer a "value" hotel and shouldn't be considered as such anymore. I understood it would increase with the Skyliner, I just never thought this much.
This year I am staying at an All-Star, it's going to be a tough change for me.

Speaking of Pop Century, here is a little comparison I did a few weeks ago after booking an upcoming stay. In 2017 I stayed in a standard view room at Pop Century for 5 nights using a 25% discount for the Generl Public checking in the last Sunday in January. After the discount and with tax the total for that stay was $502. I used the rack rates and discounts listed on Mousesavers to figure out what that same stay (5 nights at Pop standard view starting the last Sunday in January) would have cost in 2022. There were no discounts offered except annual pass and Florida resident which I would not have been eligible for in either 2017 or 2022. Final price for the same stay in 2022... $972. Thats a 51.6% increase in five years.

Speaking of Pop Century, here is a little comparison I did a few weeks ago after booking an upcoming stay. In 2017 I stayed in a standard view room at Pop Century for 5 nights using a 25% discount for the Generl Public checking in the last Sunday in January. After the discount and with tax the total for that stay was $502. I used the rack rates and discounts listed on Mousesavers to figure out what that same stay (5 nights at Pop standard view starting the last Sunday in January) would have cost in 2022. There were no discounts offered except annual pass and Florida resident which I would not have been eligible for in either 2017 or 2022. Final price for the same stay in 2022... $972. Thats a 51.6% increase in five years.
It is actually a nearly 94% increase in five years. The price nearly doubled!

I am getting priced out of Disney moderate rack rates but don't love the values, so I am booking alternative ways for upcoming trips. Including fees, I was able to get Dolphin for $234/night with an AP rate and AKL for $226/night renting points in the New Years / Marathon Weekend timeframe. I am renting one night at Poly and a few nights at Dolphin with an AP rate for the same cost as the entire stay at Caribbean Beach. Discounts are so far and few between, we used to always stay with room discounts and it wasn't so bad. I just cannot fathom paying $400+/night and still have to take the bus to every park. At least I will earn Marriott points with all these Dolphin stays! (And I've never stayed there, so I hope I like it!)

Edit: Looking back at emails, I paid $286/night (incl. fees) with an AP rate at AKL in early December 2019. I can't fathom finding a room for that price through Disney anymore. Seems crazy!

It will be DVC or Off-site soon, BTW the Swan and Dolphin still have deals but remember to look for the discounts and book via the Marriott app, not Disney.

I am getting priced out of Disney moderate rack rates but don't love the values, so I am booking alternative ways for upcoming trips. Including fees, I was able to get Dolphin for $234/night with an AP rate and AKL for $226/night renting points in the New Years / Marathon Weekend timeframe. I am renting one night at Poly and a few nights at Dolphin with an AP rate for the same cost as the entire stay at Caribbean Beach. Discounts are so far and few between, we used to always stay with room discounts and it wasn't so bad. I just cannot fathom paying $400+/night and still have to take the bus to every park. At least I will earn Marriott points with all these Dolphin stays! (And I've never stayed there, so I hope I like it!)

Edit: Looking back at emails, I paid $286/night (incl. fees) with an AP rate at AKL in early December 2019. I can't fathom finding a room for that price through Disney anymore. Seems crazy!
I made my first foray into the Dolphin in February, and have the Swan booked for next February. The rooms are larger and cheaper than a Disney moderate; you get deluxe evening hours; and can walk to two parks. Transportation to MK and inability to charge to your room with a magic band are about the only downsides. The Dolphin was $230 all in with the AP discount this past February.

Just a comment that WDW discounts are only offered to fill rooms that would / are projected to be empty.

The Swan, Dolphin and Reserve just like Disney only offer discounts to fill otherwise empty rooms. When they have a full Conference schedule they are often few and far between.

Dave

Oh and I forgot, back in 2017 that $502 stay included tranportation to and from MCO (Magical Express) and a complimentary Magic Band. So that $972 stay in 2022... add say $80 for Uber to and from MCO and then another $20 for a basic magic band and you come up to $502 vs $1,072.

Oh and I forgot, back in 2017 that $502 stay included tranportation to and from MCO (Magical Express) and a complimentary Magic Band. So that $972 stay in 2022... add say $80 for Uber to and from MCO and then another $20 for a basic magic band and you come up to $502 vs $1,072.
Yep, and as long as people keep paying it, why not keep cranking it up?

It will be DVC or Off-site soon, BTW the Swan and Dolphin still have deals but remember to look for the discounts and book via the Marriott app, not Disney.

You can also often find a good rate through Costco if you're a member, and the resort fee is included in your price.

I've been going to WDW pretty regularly for the past 20 years and never once have I stayed there without a discount, so I am still expecting discounts to appear for at least some dates in October thru December.

However, I think it's possible that even though all the resorts are now open again, that there might be limited room inventory since they are still short-staffed.

Yep, and as long as people keep paying it, why not keep cranking it up?
I’m not a Disney defender, but to be fair, but everything is jacked up now, pricewise. It isn’t just WDW. DH and I just rebooked a trip to Asia that had to be cancelled in 2020, and the price has almost doubled. I’m glad Disney finally reintroduced some discounts - for a while there, there were none. (As an aside, I think not bringing back Bounceback rates is a huge misstep.)

I’m not a Disney defender, but to be fair, but everything is jacked up now, pricewise. It isn’t just WDW. DH and I just rebooked a trip to Asia that had to be cancelled in 2020, and the price has almost doubled. I’m glad Disney finally reintroduced some discounts - for a while there, there were none. (As an aside, I think not bringing back Bounceback rates is a huge misstep.)
I totally agree with this. We've been using Bounceback for years, and we really miss it.

But with the changing economy, I'm expecting this to come back. Soon, I hope!

Everything is more expensive for sure but even with that expectation I get sticker shock from Disney rates. Pre-covid norms - even with discounts - were too high but within a range where I could talk myself into splurging. Add 50% to those rates and it look crazy to me.

That being said some Disney rates are down from what I was seeing earlier in the year (standard deluxe rooms $800+) which is interesting.

Do you have to be a member to get Costco Travel Discount?
Yes.
Everything is more expensive for sure but even with that expectation I get sticker shock from Disney rates. Pre-covid norms - even with discounts - were too high but within a range where I could talk myself into splurging. Add 50% to those rates and it look crazy to me.

That being said some Disney rates are down from what I was seeing earlier in the year (standard deluxe rooms $800+) which is interesting.
In no way do I mean to imply that it isn’t complete ridiculousness. It is. They have made almost everything more expensive, directly or indirectly (it’s the indirect that generally irritates me more). I’m not one to NOT splurge after the hours I have worked the last 2.5 years (pharma), but for my upcoming trip, I’m seriously agonizing over adding a night, even if the flight cost difference pays for more than half of the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter