Have supermarkets started limiting meat by you?

Costco today had limits of 3 packages of fresh meats (chicken, pork and/or beef). Previous trips, they would have limits of one package of any particular item, but not limits on total packages.

Costco was wiped out. He was told yesterday's supply lasted less than an hour.

Went to the store this morning. Had no trouble getting what I needed (except canned soup but since I am very limited on what brands I can eat to start with, that is not a shock). I did not see any limits on meat, but they were low stock. Lots of ground beef, not much other beef, pretty much no pork besides bone in chops, and about half the amount of chicken they normally have. Also plenty of turkey products, fish, sausage, and ham. Tons of eggs but they were limited to 2 dozen. Don't know about milk because I don't drink/use dairy milk anymore.

The one thing I can't find and am worried about? Rice. I have a box of boil in the bag, about 1 cup of brown plus a microwave packet, and just opened my last larger bag of white. I eat a lot of rice. I have plenty of pasta (Italian and Asian) and the store seems to have a decent amount of pasta options available... rice though was empty except for the pre seasoned junk.

Just saw the Publix by me is limiting chicken to two items per person.
It can be store by store basis though. My store has no limit but the one down the road does.
word is the meat warehouses are emptying out everything to the stores so they can buy up more incase of plant shutdowns/shortages.

Costco went from a limit of 3 meat items to 2. DH recently went to Kroger and they had a limit of 2.

So, DH went shopping this morning and for the first time in while there were no limits on meat and he was actually able to get some chicken that wasn't wings. There are still limits on some other things, milk, paper products etc... Flour was also back in stock after being gone for a while. The only thing on the list that he wasn't able to get was yeast. (Eastern MA)

Just came back from Stop and Shop in central Mass. Meats were fully stocked with the exception of boneless chicken breasts. They did have most other cuts though. Pasta aisle, however, was still pretty empty as well as rice mixes like Near East and Zatarains. They did, however, have packages of yeast. Otherwise, store was pretty much fully stocked.

I wish we could see the meals of the people that bought large quantities of spam, pasta, rice and soups. I just want to know what their recipes are.

I'll just note that many local ads have a limit of one of any specific meat item. We bought from our local Safeway. For the latest circular there's a limit of one on a certain ground beef special, but not on others including a $3.99/lb top sirloin.

The circulars are kind of weird too how they show up. For whatever reason, sometimes the Safeway default location is Grand Junction, Colorado unless I select a new store. Occasionally it comes up as Oakland, California which isn't quite my location, but that brings up the same local circular.

When I went to Sprouts I found they have a limit of 1 of any particular type of prepackaged meat item whether or not it's on sale. The other odd thing is that when I look at the weekly ad it always starts off as Scottsdale, Arizona.

Today the shortage at Walmart was beef....all they have was some riblets (not from their market, pre-pkg from another brand) and boxed Mac n cheese. I like to buy the store brand family size, all they had was 6 of the smaller size. I was going to buy 3 of the big so I bought all 6 of the small.

This past Sunday at Meijer, there was no limit on meat that I could find and all the cases were full. At Aldi there were limits and it was a bit less full then Meijer, but not crazy so. Just a bit more picked over but still plenty to choose from.

We get the vast majority of our meat from Whole Foods and I'm not noticing much of a problem there and they don't have any limits that I'm aware of. A local chain also has no limits. I haven't been to any of the national chains so I'm not sure about them.

We are in Kansas. Meat selection is slowing down and that will be a problem, as the majority of packing plants are located in Kansas. The shortages of ground beef and steaks is odd, the packing plants are running full speed. Local butchers and processing plants are booking appointments 14 months out. Dillon's(Kroger), had a limit of 2 ground beef, chicken or pork products. There was no limit at Walmart, just a very small variety and few packages of each. There were no split chicken breasts, just legs, thighs and wings.

DH said Market Basket has chicken back in stock as well as beef. You are still limited to 2 packages of each. Trader Joe's was stocked pretty well and I did not see any restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter