• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you ever bought a product that later got recalled by the product maker?

Peter Pan Peanut Butter, a fancy guardrail I had bought, and something else I can't think of at the moment

Pajamas for the boys when young.. I think the concern was they could burn readily and some type of baby food grain for younger son.

For years after, I made their sleepwear and welcomed gifts of same with renewed appreciation. As for the baby food, I was already skeptical of the industrial food chain so this recall just fulfilled my worst fears and took me further along the whole food path.

Several cars over the years. I think we may have had some food items that were recalled due to unlisted ingredients that could be allergens for some folks, (undisclosed dairy, wheat and nuts come to mind) but no allergies in our family so no impact.
There was a huge Schwan's ice cream recall years ago, but none of the flavors we had were part of the recall. A supplier shipped milk in a tanker truck that had previously carried raw eggs and didn't properly clean the inside the tanker.

Onion. I had cut up half of an onion and used it with no issue. The UPC code was left on the other half and got word it was being recalled due to health/safety concerns.

I took it back to my grocery store, Publix, and talked to a woman in customer service. She credited me 1/2 of the cost of the onion since I already used 1/2 of it. I thought, is this being ultra cheap considering that some folks got really sick from this recall or is it fair? We're talking about <50 cents.

Was just at Costco returning an item. While waiting in line, I glanced at the recall items posted on the wall. I literally had purchased all of them. Lots were food items that were long eaten. So far, so good!

Back to Basics Cocoa Latte Machine, for lead

Nature’s Nest Baby Hammock, for suffocation risk. This was so sad because I loved this thing. I did not return mine because my children were out of it by the time they recalled it. I still have it. Need to finally part with it because there are safer similar options now.

Yup - Bendectin - I had severe morning (noon and night) sickness when I was pregnant and my OBGYN prescribed Bendectin. I took it almost my entire pregnancy. Then a few weeks before I delivered, it was taken off the market due to impending lawsuits tied to the drug causing congenital defects. I was terrified and furious with my OB - but he assured me that he’d never in 40 years of delivering babies seen any problems with babies born to moms he’d prescribed the drug to. And sure enough, I delivered a healthy daughter who graduated college in 3 years majoring in finance and international business with a minor in French - Summa Cum Laude and inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and is now a lawyer, having passed the bar on her first try. WHEW!

Yes, some medical supplies. We didn’t end up needing the supplies and it was too late to return so I originally chalked it off as a loss.

Then about six months later, I got a recall notice so I was able to get a full refund after all!

I remember a couple years ago peanut butter. I was almost finished with the jar by the time I heard about the recall. I suffered no ill effects from that peanut butter.... I did some online form and got a coupon for a free jar of peanut butter.

I think every car I have ever owned has had recalls of some type or another. Unfortunately, I never got a coupon for another car. :confused3

We had a Fridgidaire dehumidifier that was recalled because of fire potential. They made it very easy. We needed to cut the cord on the recalled one, write our initials and the date on the back of it, and then send them a photo. They sent out a brand new one. I think there was also the option to get money, but for us, the better deal was the new dehumidifier. I think the recalled one was 10 years old at the time, too.

I've had recall notices on cars that we've taken in for the repairs. There have been recalls on foods that I've purchased. In many cases, we've already eaten it and have been ok. A couple of times, the store didn't want the food back but issued a refund if you asked.

We have had a couple cars get recalled for such things as seat belt problems.
We've never had a food product recalled, but we came darn close and it scared the s**** out of us. Bought some Peter Pan crunchy Peanut butter. Had wondered why we had a hard time finding a store that had it. Well, when we went to pay with self check-out, as soon as we scanned it, a buzzer sounded and a supervisor was called. That's when we found out about the recall, apparently some one had missed that one jar. Didn't know why the buzzer sounded and people stared, but we learned!

no one here has a cpap machine??? big recall for those (and now a class action lawsuit we got notified of),

some brand of flushable wipes (b.j.'s to their credit refunded me for all the boxes purchased during the period of time the recall covered).

many cars over the years

Was just at Costco returning an item. While waiting in line, I glanced at the recall items posted on the wall. I literally had purchased all of them. Lots were food items that were long eaten. So far, so good!

recently returned a 2 pack of their cilantro crema dressing that was recalled.

The transmission in my car. I went in for routine service and the dealer told me they’d inspect for the current recall. He wasn’t concerned because out of the many they’d inspected only two needed new transmissions. I was lucky #3. I had a nice loaner for two weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter