Have you ever used your points for Passport Collection??

Kristi, I did a bit of searching around on II for the times you listed and found precious little units. The problems you have in this situation are several. 2 of the 3 times you are searching for are in extremely high demand. In addition, many of the units that might have be available in II will have been long since gone. The time right after school is much more workable but many of the units that will come available have not yet. Most of the units that might show up will be studios and 1 BR. In addition, there are other II members with priority that is higher than you for the Starwood resorts and the Marriott's as well, possibly others. You could be sitting there with a request in for 10 months and one of those members could swoop in and get on the list the day before and they would get the unit ahead of you. The other issue is that there are a number of intermediate level resorts not on the DVC list that would be worth staying at but not worth giving up the points that would be required through DVC. In addition, you might get an all inclusive (AI) that would be cheaper overall. Often you can get these for essentially a free room for Aruba and MX.

That resort link you posted appears to be the website for the overall complex of at least one of the resorts I mentioned. But the unit in question for a rental might be different, it might even be a wholly owned condo, hard to know. I'm not sure bad reputation is the correct term, lets just say I've seen mixed information though the TUG reviews are fairly positive. Still not c/w what DVC members might generally expect.

For some reason the Hyatt doesn't grab me due to it's remoteness and the issues with the hotel there that was closed. I think I read it was supposed to reopen at some point, don't know if it's happened or not. For early June Aruba might be a great choice because it's lower in demand and a lot of good resorts. Good luck.

All of this talk of being waitlisted makes me worried about putting in a request for 09 do you think it is too early to request for 09 for June...??????,..

All of this talk of being waitlisted makes me worried about putting in a request for 09 do you think it is too early to request for 09 for June...??????,..
You can request for 2 years out, if you know what you want, I'd do so.

When I call do I need to request he caribvean in general or do I need to give my speicifc dates and they will tell me what is available??

Also, once I request it and if I get it can I change my mind from now till then????

When I call do I need to request he caribvean in general or do I need to give my speicifc dates and they will tell me what is available??

Also, once I request it and if I get it can I change my mind from now till then????
For 2 years out nothing will be available. You need to know what resorts and dates you want. I'd do it by resort code and by date. Realize that when you select a date, you are selecting a weekend. II will assume that when you say Fri, you mean Friday through Sunday and will take any unit that starts one of those dates. You can in some cases be more specific but you should be clear. If your not sure about which resorts and dates but know some, start the search and modify it later. If you cancel before a match, you get a refund. You can make any changes you want.

For 2 years out nothing will be available. You need to know what resorts and dates you want. I'd do it by resort code and by date. Realize that when you select a date, you are selecting a weekend. II will assume that when you say Fri, you mean Friday through Sunday and will take any unit that starts one of those dates. You can in some cases be more specific but you should be clear. If your not sure about which resorts and dates but know some, start the search and modify it later. If you cancel before a match, you get a refund. You can make any changes you want.

Thanks, what do you mean by resort code??

And selecting a weekend?? Can I request a Sat. to a Sat.

Then once and if they find a match they call and let me know??? Then I can decide if I want it or not??

Why would nothing be available this far out??

It seems like it is a lot of work and waiting to trade into the passport collection?? Almost not worth the agravation!!!!!

Thanks, what do you mean by resort code??
The 3 letter code for the resort you find on the DVC II website at II's Disney Search Page

And selecting a weekend?? Can I request a Sat. to a Sat.
Yes and no. If you call them and say you'll take Saturday, II will assume you will take Fri, Sat or Sunday as a start date. If you want only Sat, you must have them note that specifically.

Then once and if they find a match they call and let me know??? Then I can decide if I want it or not??
That's the way it's been though you may lose your search fee if you do. There are rumors this is changing so you may find if they get an exact match that you lose your points automatically and they confirm the match. This is the way II (non DVC) has worked for a numbers of years. Again, there is talk that DVC is moving this way for II searches as well. Bottom line is don't assume you can change your mind after they find a match or that you can check air fare to see if you truly want it or not. I think the prudent thing is to not list anything you're not certain you want.

Why would nothing be available this far out??
With II, some resorts can deposit 2 years out and some 18 months, but most are limited to around 1 year out. And while some could theoretically be deposited at a year, their resort reservation system may prevent it since one may not be able to reserve at some resorts until 10-11 months out. But there are also less people searching earlier than later and you give yourself a chance at more deposits if you're searching when the first one comes in. And though II isn't a first come first served priority, when you placed your request is a tie breaker so you want to make sure you're ahead of others that are around the same priority as yourself.

It seems like it is a lot of work and waiting to trade into the passport collection?? Almost not worth the agravation!!!!!
That's likely true for those not willing to put the effort into it to learn the resorts and plan accordingly.

Just wanted to ask those of you who've mentioned the Royal locations...Dean, that would probably be you, any specifics on the ones in Cancun?

Our vacation time this year has been few and far between thanks to wacky schedules, so we might be looking at a chunk of points to burn. DH thought it might be nice to swap out because of this. DS also has a passport burning a hole in his pocket, so we've been contemplating this or one of the DL parks overseas.

Hawaii would be a choice also, but I know that we'd want to do 2 weeks and right now that just isn't possible even if we could get a sweet trade.

Thanks!

Just wanted to ask those of you who've mentioned the Royal locations...Dean, that would probably be you, any specifics on the ones in Cancun?

Our vacation time this year has been few and far between thanks to wacky schedules, so we might be looking at a chunk of points to burn. DH thought it might be nice to swap out because of this. DS also has a passport burning a hole in his pocket, so we've been contemplating this or one of the DL parks overseas.

Hawaii would be a choice also, but I know that we'd want to do 2 weeks and right now that just isn't possible even if we could get a sweet trade.

Thanks!
I have seen all the Royals in Cancun. I'd take any of them including the R. Mayan, R. Islander, R. Caribbean and R. Sands with the Sands being my first choice. I would not trade DVC for Vacation Club International, too many points IMO. They are very nice resorts in their own way, IMO superior to DVC is many ways, not in others.

I have seen all the Royals in Cancun. I'd take any of them including the R. Mayan, R. Islander, R. Caribbean and R. Sands with the Sands being my first choice. I would not trade DVC for Vacation Club International, too many points IMO. They are very nice resorts in their own way, IMO superior to DVC is many ways, not in others.

Thanks Dean!

All the Royals did look great and our nearest airport has been showing some good airfares so maybe I'll put in a request for us.

One more question for you...I just know you'll have the answer. Cancun seasons? How are they for the DVC points trade...Which months correspond to low v. high season? And is there any place that I can just find that info on my own?

Thanks again!

Thanks Dean!

All the Royals did look great and our nearest airport has been showing some good airfares so maybe I'll put in a request for us.

One more question for you...I just know you'll have the answer. Cancun seasons? How are they for the DVC points trade...Which months correspond to low v. high season? And is there any place that I can just find that info on my own?

Thanks again!
My information suggest that the the royals can be high season Christmas to Easter, low season early December and mid season the rest of the time. This can certainly change as the resort itself actually determines what the seasons are. Even member services won't know for certain until the exchange comes around.

I think DVC has already implemented the "you get the match you take it" policy. If anyone is thinking of doing the II exchanges get on the member website and read the rules or call MS and ask.

I was on the member site last night checking out what II had in the Vail area.

Okay Dean, would trading DVC points for Vail/Beavercreek for early Aug be a good choice. I've been looking at paying cash and I can get some good rates(even on a 3 br for around $200 night). I would love to go out one year and catch the dance festival that happens in early Aug. DH loves going to the mountains during non-snow times(we were in the Alps for our honeymoon).

Okay Dean, would trading DVC points for Vail/Beavercreek for early Aug be a good choice. I've been looking at paying cash and I can get some good rates(even on a 3 br for around $200 night). I would love to go out one year and catch the dance festival that happens in early Aug. DH loves going to the mountains during non-snow times(we were in the Alps for our honeymoon).
You will have to decide what's a good deal for you. While there are a number of very good resorts in this area, August is a very easy time to trade in. While normally one can count on Marriott this is not the case for Vail. It's a little early for August 2008, however, there are a number of decent units sitting there for August 2007. This suggest that there will be be a lot of availability for this time in 2008. August is certainly getting into off season, especially late August.

This situation demonstrates why I feel that Disney Vacation Club members who are interested in exchanging, often, should consider owning other time shares or possibly striking an alliance with current members of interval are RCI.

You will have to decide what's a good deal for you. While there are a number of very good resorts in this area, August is a very easy time to trade in. While normally one can count on Marriott this is not the case for Vail. It's a little early for August 2008, however, there are a number of decent units sitting there for August 2007. This suggest that there will be be a lot of availability for this time in 2008. August is certainly getting into off season, especially late August.

This situation demonstrates why I feel that Disney Vacation Club members who are interested in exchanging, often, should consider owning other time shares or possibly striking an alliance with current members of interval are RCI.

OMG, we have been thinking the samething if we want to do exchanges. We're probably looking at early Aug(I'm going to contact the Arts Festival, I'm sure they have the dates already planned for 08 and 09, as many ballet dancers and companies book that far out). This was a brainwave of mine after I was reading one of my ballet MB(yes I do manage to look at something other than DIS board!:eek: ).

Well I'll start by researching some of the resorts(Tug, Redweek, tripadvisor) and proceed from there. First will be to plan out 08 & 09 DVC trips first, rather use the points there.

Thanks for your imput. I should have guessed it might be low season out there, had a cousin get married at one of the resorts(Vail, Beavercreek, Breckenridge) during that period.

Dean,
You mentioned the Atlantis....Is this the mega
resort in Bahamas....
If so...what time of year is easier to get in.....besides
aug, sept...hurricane season.
Thanks
Kerri

Dean,
You mentioned the Atlantis....Is this the mega
resort in Bahamas....
If so...what time of year is easier to get in.....besides
aug, sept...hurricane season.
Thanks
Kerri
Yes, Harbor side is an extension of Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. The most difficult times to get to will be Christmas to the Easter. May September and early December will be the easiest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter