HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great - thank you both for responding. Next question, for my dates, only a standard view in the main building CL is available. Can I request to have a view of the pool or MK or will it be a bad view?

Also, did the main building rooms get updated recently? That is one of the main reasons that I booked VGF b/c they were new.

TIA!!!

Standard views in the Main Bldg. will be either of the courtyard pool or Beach Pool & VGF. We do not consider these to be bad views, very pretty actually - but if you want a view of the Castle, you will have to try to grab a TPV room.:flower3:

The main building rooms are due to be refurbed in July. There is a list of the renovations schedule by building at the top of the first post, first page.

Thank you for responding also... I plan on using the monorail the most, but I'm worried about is if it's broken down. I know that we will be at MK majority of the time that we are at the GF. Yes, I know that the CL is completely separate from the VGF:)

There's no way to predict in advance if the monorail will have any shut downs. We have stayed at the GF, as well as the Poly, many times and had little to no issues with the monorail schedules.

Hi!:wave2: We are headed to the Grand this summer for the first time since 2010. Our past few trips have been at the YC, which we enjoyed, but we are really excited to be returning to the GF. This is such a great thread! It has been fun to read & refresh my memory on all things Grand.

One question I do have though is about transportation. We have dinner reservations one night at Prime Time at the Studios and I am seriously considering just taking a cab instead of busing it over there. About how long should we allow for that? I looked at the transportation time calculator and it says about 40 minutes for bus; just wondering how much time a cab would take to get from the GF to the Studios? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Welcome back!!:goodvibes We love the YC, too, it feels a lot like the Grand to us, but in the Epcot area.

Transportation from resort to resort can be a slow and painful business if using WDW transportation. For ease and peace of mind, I recommend a cab. We've done it quite often and it is much easier and quicker. It should be about $18 or so, and take around 20 minutes. Traffic can cause delays, of course, so you may want to allow 30 just in case.

I think you can get the cab times by looking for "driving times" on the travel tool.:)

Hi gang!

I have some friends staying at the Grand in May. I hope to stay there myself in 2015! :thumbsup2 For my friends' May trip, are there any construction concerns or special events they should know about? They booked a lagoon view, so does that mean they'll be facing the Polynesian construction? I've already told them about the nightly campfire, outdoor movie, entertainment in lobby and the parasol parade. Any other fun/interesting things they should know? They've booked most of the Grand Floridian restaurants. I'm reading as much of this thread as I can. Thanks for any info!!

There are room renovations going on now, but they are doing it by building - closing the building currently under refurb, so it shouldn't affect guests much at all. Lagoon views could be in Big Pine or Boca Chica, I think, so if they prefer a view out toward the CR, tell them to request Boca.

Some of our favorite GF activities: My kids always love renting the Sea Raycers, scooting around the lake is great fun. There are free activities in the afternoons at the Beach Pool. Watching Wishes in front of Gasparilla's, if at the resort in time. Booking afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room.

Is it possible to think that I will be able to walk up at the GF Cafe and get a ressie for 4 for dinner or should I really make an ADR? Looking at a Wednesday night, mid August, if that matters.

When I made all of my ADR's last month, everyone was on board with shooting over to Epcot for Via Napoli on our first night for dinner. Now, there are doubts about making our way thru Epcot just for a dinner reservation after such a long day (we have a very early flight to Orlando that morning). DH's suggestion is that we "wing it", if we can get in, great, if not, just catch QS somewhere at the resort and just take it easy the first day. But, I know my girls and I know they will want to do a park the first night (they're never tired :upsidedow). They are now agreeing with DH and have suggested that if we're too tired to do a park, they'll just hop on the monorail or boat and head over to the MK by themselves, which at their ages, I'm quite ok with BUT I'm still not sold on having no set place to eat. I don't mind winging it for lunch as that's what we always do but I do like knowing where dinner is going to be, if that makes sense. Suggestions?

We've had no trouble walking up to the GFC for breakfast and lunch - not as sure about dinner, but I doubt it will be a problem mid-August. Maybe others will have experience, hopefully they can chime in.

But if you are worried, you can make a res. and then cancel a couple days before, when you know more what your schedule will be.

If that doesn't appeal to you, or work, whatever - what about heading over to the Poly for sushi at the bar near Kona? We've done that when we don't have other dinner plans, especially if there are just 2 of you. Pretty good sushi and the drinks are good!

Thanks, Mommyrosa! Crossing my fingers for good luck! pixiedust: And you, too, k&a&c'smom...I appreciate the well-wishes!

:goodvibesM&S sounds good right about now.:p Glad you had a nice lunch.

Thanks so much for all the helpful information!! Does anyone know the current schedule for the Parasol parade? Is it currently Mondays and Fridays at 8am?

An hour is probably a good rule of thumb, I almost said 8:00, but didn't want everyone to think you needed a whole hour...and then add their own buffer.;) We don't mind getting to the gates a little early.

Ya I sometimes go a little over board with times as I'm the kind who gets to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight because I'm paranoid something will happen to delay us and we'll be running to catch the plane :rotfl::rotfl:.

Great - thank you both for responding.

You're welcome....have a great trip :goodvibes.

Hi!:wave2: We are headed to the Grand this summer for the first time since 2010. Our past few trips have been at the YC, which we enjoyed, but we are really excited to be returning to the GF. This is such a great thread! It has been fun to read & refresh my memory on all things Grand.

Congrats on getting back to the GF :). We've never stayed at the YC, but have stayed at the BC and while we did enjoy our stay, there's nothing quite like the GF :cloud9:. I hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

Ah, we had a yummy lunch at McCormick and Schmick's...

Thanks for the good luck wish. :thumbsup2 I probably need it, what with the lack of rooms at the GF lately!

Glad you had a nice lunch :goodvibes. Any luck with your resort reservation?

We've had no trouble walking up to the GFC for breakfast and lunch - not as sure about dinner, but I doubt it will be a problem mid-August. Maybe others will have experience, hopefully they can chime in.

But if you are worried, you can make a res. and then cancel a couple days before, when you know more what your schedule will be.

I agree about not having too much trouble walking up at GFC. We've never eaten there, but we have walked through there many, many times and although there are always people dining there, it never seems too busy to the point that you have to have an ADR to get in. This is just my opinion, but I think GFC gets overlooked as anytime I have looked at dining, there is always availability anytime of day ;).

If that doesn't appeal to you, or work, whatever - what about heading over to the Poly for sushi at the bar near Kona? We've done that when we don't have other dinner plans, especially if there are just 2 of you. Pretty good sushi and the drinks are good!

I agree about not having too much trouble walking up at GFC. We've never eaten there, but we have walked through there many, many times and although there are always people dining there, it never seems too busy to the point that you have to have an ADR to get in. This is just my opinion, but I think GFC gets overlooked as anytime I have looked at dining, there is always availability anytime of day ;).

Thanks so much...this is very good to hear. Ever since we started renting vehicles, our tradition on check-in day, is to get our car at the car care center and head over to DTD and have lunch at WPE (one of our favorites :)). We don't normally hit the parks until the evening. BUT, since this is our first stay at the Grand, we really want to "take it down a notch" on our first day and explore the resort. Every time we've gone to the GF in the past, it's been for either a breakfast or dinner reservation and we always seem to be on the go. I'll remain flexible and we'll see how lucky we get with a walk-up there.

Hi all! I'm so excited to post on the Grand's thread for the first time! I am heading down there for work for two nights in August. It's a quick trip, but I'm excited stay here. I've visited the resort before and love the atmposhere and decor. I do have a quick question about where my room might be. Is there a general area that the Grand generally puts large room blocks. My work event is probably 75-100 rooms. Thanks everybody!! :cool1:

The rooms are usually in Sago Cay because it is a short walk to the business center. I've met many folks in the past who were at a work convention and they said that they were staying in Sago Cay.

Hi! I have a quick question... We are currently booked for the VGF in a standard one-bedroom (cash). I'm wondering about switching to the VG CL. It shows that there is an outer building cl and a main building CL - which one is better and why? My thoughts on maybe switching is that the VGF or so far from the boat access and we would be on the DDP, so why would we need a full kitchen. Also, we could only get a standard room view which is the monorail, parking lot, etc...AND I'm pretty sure we will not get any type of discount for the VGF!!! Which is the biggest reason of all.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Great - thank you both for responding. Next question, for my dates, only a standard view in the main building CL is available. Can I request to have a view of the pool or MK or will it be a bad view?

Also, did the main building rooms get updated recently? That is one of the main reasons that I booked VGF b/c they were new.

TIA!!!

There are two significant differences between SL and RPC..one being the size and ambience of the lounges..and the other being cost.. RPC rooms rates are quite a bit higher that those in SL...As others have said..both CLs offer the same exact amenities..and food offerings... including afternoon tea..and champagne...( I think that the GF is the only CL that offer either) ..

I liken the lounge in SL to a small bistro..it is located in the lobby of the building...and very conventient to grabbing a beverage or snack while coming or going...RPC lounge is in a league of its own...It over looks the atrium in the main building..is spacious..3 floors worth of different types of seating..and in the evenings you can hear all of the wonderful music..the GF Society Orchestra..(which is a band..not a whole orchestra..lol..) and one of the talented pianists play...

I think that I am among the very few that really like both CL...we much prefer SL in the summer due to its close proximity to the pool...and the boat dock too..and RPC in the colder months...

You cant go wrong with either IMO...they are both just GRAND! :goodvibes

One question I do have though is about transportation. We have dinner reservations one night at Prime Time at the Studios and I am seriously considering just taking a cab instead of busing it over there. About how long should we allow for that? I looked at the transportation time calculator and it says about 40 minutes for bus; just wondering how much time a cab would take to get from the GF to the Studios? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Welcome!! :goodvibes How nice that you will be returning to the GF this summer! I would say that if you don't mind the time that it will take to travel via bus it is not a bad choice... 40 minutes seems about accurate to me..they now have a an electronic board at the bus stop that lets you know the wait time for the various busses...and it is always updating... But... Taking a taxi will save quite a bit of time...and is not very costly...I would say about $15 ...:moped:

Is it possible to think that I will be able to walk up at the GF Cafe and get a ressie for 4 for dinner or should I really make an ADR? Looking at a Wednesday night, mid August, if that matters.

When I made all of my ADR's last month, everyone was on board with shooting over to Epcot for Via Napoli on our first night for dinner. Now, there are doubts about making our way thru Epcot just for a dinner reservation after such a long day (we have a very early flight to Orlando that morning). DH's suggestion is that we "wing it", if we can get in, great, if not, just catch QS somewhere at the resort and just take it easy the first day. But, I know my girls and I know they will want to do a park the first night (they're never tired :upsidedow). They are now agreeing with DH and have suggested that if we're too tired to do a park, they'll just hop on the monorail or boat and head over to the MK by themselves, which at their ages, I'm quite ok with BUT I'm still not sold on having no set place to eat. I don't mind winging it for lunch as that's what we always do but I do like knowing where dinner is going to be, if that makes sense. Suggestions?

There are times of the year that we have walked up and been seated at the GF Café with no problem...and other times where while they did not turn us away the wait was 45 to 60 minutes! :scared: If it were January or most of February or even September I would say take your chances...But mid August can still be pretty busy...The only other suggestion I would have would be to try and make a same day ressie when you will have a better feel on what the group will want to be doing....:confused3 I like having my dinner ressies in place too...cause its always about the food! :thumbsup2 Happy Planning!

Ah, we had a yummy lunch at McCormick and Schmick's...

Thanks for the good luck wish. :thumbsup2 I probably need it, what with the lack of rooms at the GF lately!

Yum is right...M&S has lots of delicious food...Glad you enjoyed it! :goodvibes

Thanks so much for all the helpful information!! Does anyone know the current schedule for the Parasol parade? Is it currently Mondays and Fridays at 8am?

When we were at the GF last...about 2 months ago those were the times that were listed on the entertainment schedule.. didn't get to see it though...we were either out early for RD...or just snoooozing! LOL...:upsidedow It is one of those nice touches that I am glad the resort still has!

Hi all! I'm so excited to post on the Grand's thread for the first time! I am heading down there for work for two nights in August. It's a quick trip, but I'm excited stay here. I've visited the resort before and love the atmposhere and decor. I do have a quick question about where my room might be. Is there a general area that the Grand generally puts large room blocks. My work event is probably 75-100 rooms. Thanks everybody!! :cool1:

HI and welcome!! :flower3: I would guess that Sago Cay..due to the size of the building and its close proximity to the convention center would be a popular building for large group...and also Boca Chica..again due to the fact that it is a larger building... there is a map at the beginning of this thread that will show you where the building are all located... What a nice place to be able to visit for work...:thumbsup2

k&a&c'smom MickeyNut Wishes MommyGina ahcupcake :wave2: and to all the rest of my fellow GF fans too...!!

We are having a heat wave today...Its about 50 degrees! :upsidedow MickeyNut I know that this would def flip flop weather for you!! ;)

~ Got a an email that said our AP MBs shipped!! :cheer2: Cant wait to see what the slider looks like...Will keep you all posted...

TGIF!! :earsgirl:

BlueSkies,

Our passholder magic bands came yesterday. The slider is cute. I won't tell you what it is so you can be surprised.

I have a bad cold and a little fever today and feel awful. It's 57 degrees outside but I can't go out and enjoy it.

I hope all my Grand friends have a magical day!!!

Candy

Thanks so much...this is very good to hear. Ever since we started renting vehicles, our tradition on check-in day, is to get our car at the car care center and head over to DTD and have lunch at WPE (one of our favorites :)). We don't normally hit the parks until the evening. BUT, since this is our first stay at the Grand, we really want to "take it down a notch" on our first day and explore the resort. Every time we've gone to the GF in the past, it's been for either a breakfast or dinner reservation and we always seem to be on the go. I'll remain flexible and we'll see how lucky we get with a walk-up there.

You're welcome :goodvibes.

I think spending your arrival day exploring the resort is a good idea. The grounds are so beautiful and it's very relaxing to just walk around and take in the surroundings :cloud9:.

Hi all! I'm so excited to post on the Grand's thread for the first time! I am heading down there for work for two nights in August. It's a quick trip, but I'm excited stay here. I've visited the resort before and love the atmposhere and decor.

Welcome to the GF FAQ :).

I hope you have a great trip.....the GF is an awesome resort :wizard:.

We are having a heat wave today...Its about 50 degrees! :upsidedow MickeyNut I know that this would def flip flop weather for you!! ;)

~ Got a an email that said our AP MBs shipped!! :cheer2: Cant wait to see what the slider looks like...

Hey Blue :wave2:......no heat wave here as temps are only in the 40s :(......but you are right.....50s for me would bring out the flip flops ::yes::.

Yay for your AP MB being shipped :yay:

I have a bad cold and a little fever today and feel awful. It's 57 degrees outside but I can't go out and enjoy it.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well.....I hope you feel better soon :flower3:.

CandyOrlando, did you have to request the slider? I know when we got our MBs last time, they did not come with a slider, and we asked for one at the front desk (directed to do so here on the Dis :thumbsup2 ). Incidentally, they acted like we got the last 2... I'm just wondering if we get new MBs this time because we stay somewhere else (info to follow), will we get the slider with them? :scratchin

I worked on our ressie quite a while today and am not happy with the way things are going as far as the GF :crazy2:....soooo, we are seriously considering AKL. I tried for WL, but AKL has more availability for when we want to go. I will make the final decision by the first of next week and will be glad to have something squared away! ::yes:: One good thing, we are keeping our August week (took advantage of that agency's Labor Day special) at the GF!! :cool1:
In that heat, tho, we will definitely be spending more time indoors than out!! :sunny:

CandyOrlando, did you have to request the slider? I know when we got our MBs last time, they did not come with a slider, and we asked for one at the front desk (directed to do so here on the Dis :thumbsup2 ). Incidentally, they acted like we got the last 2... I'm just wondering if we get new MBs this time because we stay somewhere else (info to follow), will we get the slider with them? :scratchin

:sunny:

Hey grannyminnie! I'll chime in until candy responds! :wave2: I just got my Magic Bands and they did come with the slider (no asking needed)! But the slider comes with the Annual and Seasonal Passholders band, not the resort Magic Bands. It is also easy to miss since it is hidden in the bottom compartment of the box! :3dglasses

Hello, Hello everyone!!!

Rain, rain and more rain!!! I guess its better then snow!!

Whats all this talk about a slider and do I need one??? lol lol!!!

I love the pictures of refurb!!! I hope my room is refurbed in July!!

Blue - Thanks for the book suggestion, I am going to download it. I read a lot of the other ones everyone suggested.

Just wanted to check in.....So many trips planned, who's the next person that gets to go to the Grand?

grannyminnie,

The passholder box looks different than the one I got when I stayed at the VGF.

Inside each band is a slider for each magicband.

Under the bands is an envelope with cards to use for passholder discounts and parking.

Candy

grannyminnie,

The passholder box looks different than the one I got when I stayed at the VGF.

Inside each band is a slider for each magicband.

Under the bands is an envelope with cards to use for passholder discounts and parking.

Candy

Thanks...since we aren't passholders, we won't be getting one.

Ya I sometimes go a little over board with times as I'm the kind who gets to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight because I'm paranoid something will happen to delay us and we'll be running to catch the plane :rotfl:.

OH, man! Was it you and I who discussed our bad dreams the night before a flight?! I, too, am paranoid about the flight time, we have had one experience where we barely made it and that has affected my airport arrival time since.:scared: At least 2 hours for me, too, I have gotten there 3 hours ahead once or twice, when the weather was bad.

Great plan, spending time winding down from travel and enjoying your first evening at the resort is a good way to begin your Grand vacation.:thumbsup2

Welcome! We're excited to have you!!:yay: As others have said, Sago is right next to the Convention Center.

I think I am among the very few that really like both CL...we much prefer SL in the summer due to its close proximity to the pool...and the boat dock too..and RPC in the colder months...

You cant go wrong with either IMO...they are both just GRAND! :goodvibes

~ Got a an email that said our AP MBs shipped!! :cheer2: Cant wait to see what the slider looks like...Will keep you all posted...

TGIF!! :earsgirl:

Me, me!! I love both club levels, too - I prefer RPC, but am happy to stay in SL when we can. It books up faster than RPC.:laughing:

YAY for your MBs. LOL about the heat wave, enjoy.

BlueSkies,

Our passholder magic bands came yesterday. The slider is cute. I won't tell you what it is so you can be surprised.

I hope all my Grand friends have a magical day!!!

Candy

:hug: Feel better soon.

I'm wondering about the "slider", too. Not sure what an MB slider is?!:scratchin

Hey Blue :wave2:......no heat wave here as temps are only in the 40s :(......but you are right.....50s for me would bring out the flip flops ::yes::.

LOL! This is the first winter I haven't had flops by the back door the whole season. I actually put them away this year!:scared1:

I worked on our ressie quite a while today and am not happy with the way things are going as far as the GF :crazy2:....soooo, we are seriously considering AKL. I tried for WL, but AKL has more availability for when we want to go. I will make the final decision by the first of next week and will be glad to have something squared away! ::yes:: One good thing, we are keeping our August week (took advantage of that agency's Labor Day special) at the GF!! :cool1:
In that heat, tho, we will definitely be spending more time indoors than out!! :sunny:

Good luck, sorry you are having so much trouble with your booking.:hug: For what it's worth, we LOVE AKL and are very fond of WL, too.:goodvibes

YAY for August.:banana: I have wanted to grab that special, too, but am not sure we'll be going that week. If I wait that long, I'd prefer to wait until later in Sept. when F&W will be open.

grannyminnie - Happy Belated Birthday and Happy Anniversary. I wish you many, many more! pixiedust:

MagicBands are different for AP holders? I ordered mine, but they won't arrive until mid June. What is the difference?

MagicBands are different for AP holders? I ordered mine, but they won't arrive until mid June. What is the difference?

This is my question, too, I didn't realize they were different. I feel so clueless now, with all the changes! I was recently reminded that single day tickets are now split - with MK's being higher - after I told a newbie not to worry, all parks' ticket media are the same.:blush: Now, I have to call him back and explain, how embarrassing.;)

The passholder magicbands are the same as the resort magicbands.

The box they come in is blue and has a picture of Mickey's hand on the top with a red magicband. The box has the word passholder on the side and the word passholder inside.

The slider has Mickey ears and the word passholder 2014. You slip it on the magicband.

There is an envelope with a card for each person for passholder discounts and parking.

Candy

I'm sorry the GF isn't working out for your trip, but AKL is a great resort (as is the WL), so I'm sure you'll have a great time at either resort :goodvibes.

Yay for being at the GF in August :yay:. I looked into that agency's special for August, but it doesn't look like the dates will work for us, so we'll be waiting to go right before Christmas or possibly the middle of January ;).

Hello, Hello everyone!!!

Rain, rain and more rain!!! I guess its better then snow!!

I love the pictures of refurb!!! I hope my room is refurbed in July!!

Hi Wishes :wave2:.

We are getting a lot of rain, too....but I'm with you, as long as it's not snow and temps are (somewhat) climbing, I'm alright with it ::yes::.

I think your chance of getting a refurbed room is excellent, unless you are booked SL or RPC. SL is supposed to start June 1st, with RPC scheduled to start June 29th....but all of the other buildings should be complete by July :thumbsup2.

OH, man! Was it you and I who discussed our bad dreams the night before a flight?! I, too, am paranoid about the flight time, we have had one experience where we barely made it and that has affected my airport arrival time since.:scared: At least 2 hours for me, too, I have gotten there 3 hours ahead once or twice, when the weather was bad.

LOL! This is the first winter I haven't had flops by the back door the whole season. I actually put them away this year!:scared1:

I remember our "bad dreams before a trip" discussion :rotfl2:. My DSs used to give me a hard time about arriving at the airport 2+ hours before our flight, but they've realized there's not a whole they can do about it so they just roll with it now :rotfl::rotfl:. It isn't really fun to sit there just waiting, but I have seen a lot of people over the years racing through the airport to their gate.....and I always say that will never be me :laughing:.

I keep my flip flops in the closet of the entry off the garage where we come in every day, so they are very handy should the weather cooperate and I can make a last minute shoe change before leaving the house....LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter