Hawaii to Vancouver – A Royal Return to Cruising May 2022

disnygirl55

Forever Mouseketeer
INTRODUCTION

Hi there Dis friends!

1648823613966.jpeg
I’ll be honest – I haven’t been on the Disboards for a while. I was pretty bummed with the whole Photobucket issue a few years ago and abandoned a trip report in the midst of it.

Then it was COVID pandemic time and there was not a whole lot of information other than speculation on when things would ramp up again (and during that time, one Aulani trip and two booked cruises were cancelled…..) It was a bummer couple of years, I’m sure many of you will agree, so I didn’t do a lot of torturous vacation dreaming and scheming.

After our eagerly awaited Aulani visit, Panama Canal cruise, and a second DCL cruise from NYC to Bermuda were all cancelled, we decided to cast our thoughts ahead to happier future times, and booked the 2022 East-bound Hawaii to Vancouver cruise and applied our cruise credits to it. Most exciting, in honor of our 30th wedding anniversary and our 50th birthday year (hubby and I were born only three weeks apart), we booked the Roy O. Disney Royal Suite (now category 1A). Somehow after re-applying all of our cancelled concierge deposits to this new sailing, it didn’t seem THAT expensive. I’m probably in denial about that, but when you keep saving each month for non-existent vacations over a couple of years, it adds up pretty nicely.

So, to anyone who is feeling that we are crazy to spend silly amounts of money on a Royal suite for just the two of us – you’re probably right. But please don’t hate – we feel a need to be perfectly spoiled after so many disappointments in 2020 and 2021. We DID try to convince family members to come along initially to bunk in that second bedroom, but the price differential was either too steep for them or they couldn’t take the time off work for that long.

This sailing, as I mentioned, it will be just myself and DH. Our DS is now 20 years old – yikes! – and will still have college commitments the first half of May. Here he is with us five years ago - when he was much shorter. Sigh.

1648742453332.jpeg

Our plans:

Fly from Denver to Las Vegas

Two nights in Las Vegas at Caesar’s Palace

- Tickets to Cirque du Soleil “O”

- Dinner at Gordon Ramsay’s “Hell’s Kitchen”

Fly from Las Vegas to Honolulu

- Three nights at Hale Koa on Waikiki

- Re-visit some of our favorite experiences from our previous (and only) vacation to Oahu in 2017. Wow, has it really been 5 years already??!!

- Mai Tais here I come!

On May 6, 2022, we embark on the 10-night cruise leaving Honolulu, visiting Maui (Kahului), Hawaii (Hilo), and Kauai (Nawiliwili) x 2. Then five glorious days at sea sailing to the cooler climes of Vancouver, B.C. before catching an early afternoon flight back to Denver.

As I was searching for more details on this sailing on the Disboards (not a whole lot of luck, to be honest – trip reports are sadly lacking for sailings LEAVING Hawaii, as well as any Royal Suite experiences) – I came across the last trip report I did. Although it was not fully completed, it was fun to re-read my report, and it brought back some great memories. So, I decided to bite the bullet and create another report for this trip.

Our biggest worry now is that one of us will test positive for COVID either prior to boarding or upon disembarkation in Canada. From what I understand, DCL will compensate us for the cost of our sailing if the first happens, but we won’t be able to fly home if the second happens, and will have to get a rental car and cross the border to Seattle and either drive the long trip to Cheyenne or get a last-minute flight from Seattle to Denver.

Things can and are changing constantly in this regard as far as testing goes, so wish us luck and stay tuned! (BTW, both DH and I have gone through this pandemic disease-free thus far, so hopefully luck will stay with us).

31 days until we leave for the first day of this vacation! I’ll be back to post more details and “teasers” of plans before we leave. Here is the moment I am most looking forward to re-creating: my book and coffee on the verandah with the Pacific Ocean waves as my soundtrack:

1648742583870.jpeg

Last edited:
REPORT TABLE OF CONTENTS

Sunday, May 1

Planned – Fly to Las Vegas from Denver

Monday, May 2
Planned – Las Vegas

Tuesday, May 3
Planned – Fly to Honolulu and Hale Koa

Wednesday, May 4
Planned – Oahu

Thursday, May 5
Planned – Oahu, Catamaran Sail

Friday, May 6
Planned – Board Disney Wonder!

Saturday, May 7
Planned – Kahuliui, Maui, Lunch at cousin’s restaurant, Sunset Cocktail Cruise Excursion

Sunday, May 8
Planned – Hilo, Hawaii, Wine and Hors d’Oeuvres at Volcano House Excursion, Palo Dinner (in stateroom?)

Monday, May 9
Planned – Nawiliwili, Kauai, Kalapaki and Huleia River Cruise Excursion

Tuesday, May 10
Planned – Nawiliwili, Kauai, Rum Safari Excursion

Wednesday, May 11
Planned – Sea Day, Beverage Tasting, Palo Dinner (in stateroom?)

Thursday, May 12
Planned - Sea Day, Beverage Tastings

Friday, May 13
Planned – Sea Day, Beverage Tasting, Palo Brunch

Saturday, May 14
Planned – Sea Day, Beverage Tastings

Sunday, May 15
Planned – Sea Day, Beverage Tastings, Palo Brunch

Monday, May 16
Debark Disney Wonder, Fly Vancouver to Denver

Final Thoughts

Wow! I know you are following along my adventure, but look at you go❤️ Can’t wait to hear all about it. it Sounds amazing

Update: April 12, 2022

We are now in the TEENS and soon we are officially ON VACATION!
1649770144234.jpeg

The Seahawks gnome is super stoked to see us leave!

Getting excited and starting to pack and calculate the amount of cash for tips to bring with us. We will add the final concierge tip to our credit card at checkout, but plan to tip the following additional with cash:
Concierge lounge bartender and attendant, hotel bellhops prior to cruise, housekeeping at hotels prior to cruise, assistant stateroom host, room service and Palo delivery, airport shuttle driver, excursion guides, beverage tasting bartender. I'm sure I've forgotten someone. We don't want to miss someone who does not have an official tip envelope.

We got check-in accomplished last week, which included taking photos of passports and uploading them, taking selfies for our onboard identification photos, loading flight information, etc. The latest guidance is that there will no longer be photos taken at the check in counter, so selfies it is! (It’s more difficult when you have to see the photos yourself…..) Our passport photos are still “pending – under review”, but I understand that is normal and can even take until a few days before sail date, according to what some cruisers are posting.

For the first time in forever…… staterooms are available on this sailing because of the pay-in-full deadline that just expired. Even four concierge staterooms were available last time I checked. It also could be because capacity has opened up a bit more. I have seen reports that about 75% ship capacity is now the norm. Slowly but surely we are returning to normal as COVID restrictions begin to ease.

There is much conjecture that the U.S. will stop requiring antigen tests to fly back into the U.S. – maybe as early as next week? Not holding my breath (much). But it would sure be nice to only worry about the pre-cruise testing. Canada has stopped requiring tests for entry into the country, so it would be great if the U.S. would follow suit. Maybe after Easter.

What a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

(My Denver born DH is now even more conflicted about who to root for during DEN/SEA football games. Hope DangerRuss works out for you.)

We board 3/30 in Miami and everything is set, but the overall thing says 'under review'. I'm not worried in the least.

UPDATE: I went back in to look at the check-in page and it turns out I had a typo in the emergency contact phone number, once that was fixed - perfection/complete.

Last edited:
What a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

(My Denver born DH is now even more conflicted about who to root for during DEN/SEA football games. Hope DangerRuss works out for you.)

We board 3/30 in Miami and everything is set, but the overall thing says 'under review'. I'm not worried in the least.

UPDATE: I went back in to look at the check-in page and it turns out I had a typo in the emergency contact phone number, once that was fixed - perfection/complete.

Hi TPgal!

Too funny about DangerRuss - love it! There's not much conflict in my household about it. Since DH and I both grew up in Western Washington, the Seahawks have always been our family team - and as I'm sure you are aware - the Seahawks and the Broncos are long-standing rivals. The fact that we only live 1 1/2 hours from Denver has done nothing except make DH even more fanatical about professing ill-will to the "donkeys" . He'll have no problem ignoring Russell Wilson's departure for Denver (read: betrayal). But I have a feeling (I don't watch much football myself) that DH will be watching the Broncos when the Seahawks games are not available in our area. EVERY Broncos game is broadcast here due to our proximity to Denver.

Hooray for your super-close cruise!!! I hope you do a trip report. We've never cruised out of Miami, and it would be fun to read about. Glad your check in is marked as complete. Ours is still not, but I hear from others that it's normal until just a couple of days prior to departure. It seems to be common for everyone on our cruise.

Update: April 21, 2022

1650553816876.png

Things I know as of 10 DAYS TO GO…… 1) masks are no longer required on the airlines…… 2) I don’t feel we can take advantage of loosened restrictions while we still have to A) test prior to boarding the cruise and B) test prior to flying back to the United States. Hoping that more restrictions fall away in the next 10 days!! If I could pick just one, it would be the testing into the U.S. Then I could set aside any worries and COMPLETELY enjoy every moment of the cruise without any niggling doubts.

Other things I know…. I keep spending money to buy more things for the cruise. And I think it’s a psychological thing that helps pass the time. I need therapy other than the retail kind! For instance, I have been reading about a new activity – hiding rubber ducks. Cute idea in the absence of true fish extender gift exchanges. Have you heard of this? There is even a social media group to post pics of ducks that you find around the ship. Pretty cute thing.

1650553984372.png 1650554008953.png

Also, one of the cruise groups is doing a sock exchange, so I found some cute ones on Amazon that are fitting for the occasion.

1650554148821.png

Then I remembered how I have always ordered the “Bon Voyage” champagne for sail away. A little silly since we could get as many glasses of champagne as we’d like from the Concierge Lounge (and we usually DO have a glass or two during our visit with the concierge team to review our itinerary) – but there’s nothing like hanging out on the verandah during sail away and refilling our glasses without having to leave the verandah. And hello? Moet Ice is an offering this season? SOLD!

1650554184699.png

And, I apparently research way too much. I ran across a discussion in which the robes in the Luxury at Sea Romance Package are touted as simply amazing and much better than the ones sold in the gift shop. And I think we’ve had our same bathrobes at home since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, so perhaps it’s time for new bathrobes. And since it comes with prosecco, we can have mimosas on the verandah one morning, and just order a carafe of orange juice from room service. 😊

1650554221613.png
And one last purchase – a new stateroom magnet themed for Hawaii from Etsy - it should arrive in the next few days. I also bought a pack of super-strength magnets that will hopefully keep it secure on the stateroom door. Stateroom doors on the classic ships (Magic and Wonder) have been re-finished so many times that best results are had when special neodymium rare earth magnets are used. The pack of 12 I bought from Amazon was not expensive and includes double-sided adhesive, so that’s cool!

1650554261352.png

We have new plans just this week that DH’s cousins (several times removed) would like to entertain us for a few hours on Maui, where they live. They own several restaurants on the island and live close to the cruise port, so they plan to pick us up and take us to one of their restaurants for lunch, then drop us back to the ship before our planned excursion at 3:15. These are cousins we have never met, but who are good friends with his DH’s parents. I feel we are imposing, but we have been assured that they love when family comes to visit from the mainland. We will put together a nice gift bag of Wyoming treats and take them a nice bottle of wine for their kindness and generosity. This will really help make the trip even more special!

1650554390191.png

Sheesh – that’s a lot of updates for the past nine days. I hope the next nine days go just as quickly! Oh yes, and I did get an email from the “embarkation team” asking for our flight information going out of Vancouver, since I had purchased transfers. I eventually found out that it’s a separate system from the online check-in and I was confused since I had input our flight information during check-in. But the embarkation team arranges for the transfer buses, so it’s a bit different. I DID ask them whether it was best to arrange for pre-flight COVID testing at the cruise terminal when we disembark or if it would be better at the airport so that we aren’t holding up the buses, and they thought the airport testing would be the best option. My understanding is that we’ll be able to schedule that when we fill out our Safe Passage information. But I'm not convinced that's the way to go. It seems more "within our control" to schedule it at the port, since we don't know when the buses will begin arriving at the airport, and I'd hate to miss an appointment. That also gives us an extra half hour to receive the results.

We will need to have two apps and information loaded on our phones due to the COVID requirements. ArriveCan (for the Canadian requirements for proof of vaccination – which we can’t complete until just prior to boarding the ship) and SafePassage (for the DCL requirements) which we can do 15 days prior. I believe the ArriveCan app will ask us for a quarantine plan if we test positive. Since DCL will help us with quarantine plans, we list the port address at Canada Place as the address we will quarantine at. Strange, but that’s what we’ll do. It will be nice to get life back to normal one of these days.

Thanks, everyone - for reading my report!

We have our Ducks ready to go as well!

My son and I found several of them on recent cruises. My girlfriend had never found one so it wasn't so much of a thing for her... then on the WBPC she happened to find one and boy did it suddenly click for her. In a big way. We were looking (and getting our steps in) everywhere for them. It was a blast. As soon as we were back home she ordered some for us to hide on this and the next 4 sailings we have scheduled, lol.

The Romance package robes are better than the gift shop ones. They're not quite as nice as the Concierge ones (which are the same as the chocolate brown ones at the Lanawai Spa at Aulani) those are a dream.

We're probably doing the Safe Passage port testing as well. Just seems the easiest and not very expensive. We're hoping they drop the US entry test requirement as well, but we're getting so close now that it seems less likely. Oh well.

We have our Ducks ready to go as well!

My son and I found several of them on recent cruises. My girlfriend had never found one so it wasn't so much of a thing for her... then on the WBPC she happened to find one and boy did it suddenly click for her. In a big way. We were looking (and getting our steps in) everywhere for them. It was a blast. As soon as we were back home she ordered some for us to hide on this and the next 4 sailings we have scheduled, lol.

The Romance package robes are better than the gift shop ones. They're not quite as nice as the Concierge ones (which are the same as the chocolate brown ones at the Lanawai Spa at Aulani) those are a dream.

We're probably doing the Safe Passage port testing as well. Just seems the easiest and not very expensive. We're hoping they drop the US entry test requirement as well, but we're getting so close now that it seems less likely. Oh well.
Hi Iannovich!
Are you on the Hawaii sailing or on one of the upcoming Alaska sailings also flying out of Vancouver?

How amazing that you were on a WBPC - we were scheduled for that in Feb 2021.... and we all know how that went. :( But that canceled cruise led to a huge credit that made this "Royal" one possible, so while it was a huge disappointment, it has resulted in something wonderful that may not have happened otherwise. I love your excitement about the ducks - I hope my husband winds up feeling like your girlfriend. Right now, he just doesn't get it. :) That reminds me to charge my fitbit so I can track my mileage on board as we walk around. Ever since I got my Nordictrack and began doing scheduled walks on the treadmill, I've stopped using my fitbit, but it would be nice to know how many steps I'm getting in. Yes, concierge robes are dreamy. I don't wear them around as much as I should. Just thinking about them makes me feel so cozy. And I totally forgot the Lanawai Spa ones - you are right! Thanks for the happy thoughts!

Are you on the Hawaii sailing or on one of the upcoming Alaska sailings also flying out of Vancouver?

We'll be on the Hawaii to Vancouver. We were practically Platinum just on canceled cruises, Every time a cancellation came in, we just rolled it into another. We gathered up enough FCC that we were able to apply them to this and the WBPC. :wizard:

Been reading along but have commented yet ;) This is going to be a fantastic trip for you both!!! Have the most amazing time!! I also wanted to note that although the US no longer has a mask mandate on flights, Canada does. So you will need to wear a mask from the moment you set foot into Vancouver International and you will need to wear it for your flight (unless they let you take it off after you enter US airspace I guess?!)

I can’t wait to read your your report , we cancelled this trip a month ago . Actually we were going to do a back to back because didn’t want to do the 11 hour fight from Toronto.

Too many hoops to go though and weren’t sure what restrictions would be in place for an expense one in a life time trip. We wered set to go on the one in 2020 and were going to fly to Hawaii and do 3 weeks before the cruise.

Sounds like great plans! I’m so excited for you. Fingers crossed on all the testing to be done.

Been reading along but have commented yet ;) This is going to be a fantastic trip for you both!!! Have the most amazing time!! I also wanted to note that although the US no longer has a mask mandate on flights, Canada does. So you will need to wear a mask from the moment you set foot into Vancouver International and you will need to wear it for your flight (unless they let you take it off after you enter US airspace I guess?!)
Oh my gosh - it's so great to see you here again, and I hope all has been well with you! Thank you for reading and commenting!!! :) You are absolutely right about the masks on flights from Canada and with Canadian Airlines, too (we are flying back Air Canada). It is so weird how countries decide what is important and how they differ from each other, but as long as it's vacation-related, I can put up with some mild inconveniences. I had a board meeting this evening and decided to "mask up" which I don't do much any longer. I'm getting a bit more aware of people being in close proximity to me so close to getting this vacation off the ground. I see you're on your way to Alaska in a couple of months - I hope you'll be sharing your experiences.

I can’t wait to read your your report , we cancelled this trip a month ago . Actually we were going to do a back to back because didn’t want to do the 11 hour fight from Toronto.

Too many hoops to go though and weren’t sure what restrictions would be in place for an expense one in a life time trip. We wered set to go on the one in 2020 and were going to fly to Hawaii and do 3 weeks before the cruise.

Sounds like great plans! I’m so excited for you. Fingers crossed on all the testing to be done.

I am so sorry that you won't be sailing with us, NAB. I keenly feel your disappointment (we had 3 vacations planned that were COVID-cancelled..... Aulani, Panama Canal, Bermuda) - but while it was disappointing, it also didn't feel "right" and it sound like that's where you're at, so I know you'll be happier once you are more comfortable. It will eventually happen for you, I know it. There are indeed a lot of "hoops" and things that can go wrong. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and for your good wishes. Hope we can sail together someday soon.

I am eagerly following along to see your experience. We are on the Alaska sailing on June 13th. We plan to mask on our flights to Vancouver for sure since we have to take a test at embarkation. We have been praying, crossing our fingers, doing a dance that they'll drop the US will drop the reentry test requirement, but I am starting to lose hope the closer we get. Random fact, but we have the same countdown blocks you do, although ours are a little behind on the days left! ;) Have a fabulous trip! Can't wait to hear all bout it!

Following this thread! My wife & I are on this sailing as well, Inside Room as that’s all we could afford. What day is the Royal Suite tour so we can see how the other half lives? 😉

What day is the Royal Suite tour so we can see how the other half lives? 😉
Actually - I don't think that's a bad idea at all. I have always been curious about a Royal Suite as well and wished I could see it in person rather than just via YouTube videos. :) We'll plan to have an "open house" on Thursday, May 12 - for drop-in between 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM. Just come on over if you're available. But if you have conflicting plans for that morning, just give a shout or leave a note on our door and we'll find another time. I'd be happy to give a tour, although it will likely be pretty messy at that point. Ha Ha! Don't be too impressed.... this is two years' worth of Future Cruise Credits from two cancelled sailings rolled into one crazy vacation. The Royal Suite is definitely not our norm. Looking forward to seeing you onboard - and if you don't see our "Shawn and Leslie" magnet on the door, you'll know that we were struck down by the pre-cruise COVID testing. In which case, don't stop by..... Funny, Not Funny. So nervous.

Actually - I don't think that's a bad idea at all. I have always been curious about a Royal Suite as well and wished I could see it in person rather than just via YouTube videos. :) We'll plan to have an "open house" on Thursday, May 12 - for drop-in between 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM. Just come on over if you're available. But if you have conflicting plans for that morning, just give a shout or leave a note on our door and we'll find another time. I'd be happy to give a tour, although it will likely be pretty messy at that point. Ha Ha! Don't be too impressed.... this is two years' worth of Future Cruise Credits from two cancelled sailings rolled into one crazy vacation. The Royal Suite is definitely not our norm. Looking forward to seeing you onboard - and if you don't see our "Shawn and Leslie" magnet on the door, you'll know that we were struck down by the pre-cruise COVID testing. In which case, don't stop by..... Funny, Not Funny. So nervous.
Good afternoon, my wife and I will be on the same cruise!! looking forward to it, this was suppose to be out 35th anniversary cruise 2 years ago!! we stayed in a one bedroom suite last November was great!! so enjoy!!
jones family

Good afternoon, my wife and I will be on the same cruise!! looking forward to it, this was suppose to be out 35th anniversary cruise 2 years ago!!
Happy Anniversary (2 years ago!) - Looking forward to seeing you on the cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter