Head home immediately after river cruise?

giantwiant

Earning My Ears
For anyone has river cruised before with ABD, how tired are you after the cruise?

We are trying to decide if we should spend the night in Munich after the cruise or head straight home on the last day. The flight is $350 cheaper to fly home right away as opposed to staying in Munich for a night or two.

We are on the June 21st Danube River Cruise. We have two kids ages 12 & 8. They are well traveled, but we try to never be away from home for more than 10 days. And the last day of the cruise will be our 10th day.

I know Munich is great, and there is much to see & do, but I'm worried that my 8 yr old will be exhausted and beyond ready to be home. It's just so tempting to keep adding on days because we're in Europe. But then I look over the itinerary & realize that it is go, go, go.

Traveling on a river cruise is not very stressful and we found ourselves rested. Mostly everyone is back for dinner and you can skip anything you wish to get in bed early at any time. We went on to spend four days in Prague and are glad we did. Check out the cost of a hotel as well as transport to the airport and then make the decision. A day in Munich is a wonderful ending to a fabulous trip in my opinion.

I agree with @carpenta. I did the now-defunct Prague add-on after the Danube River cruise. I really did not feel ready to go home at the end of the Danube River Cruise, and was glad I had the extra days in Prague. *Most* ABD's, I *am* ready to go home by the last day.

Sayhello

We've been on two ABD river cruises and after the first one we went to Prague (like @sayhello the now defunct add on) and the second one (Rhine) we flew home immediately after the cruise. It was nice because we were in the airport with several other cruise families so the kids weren't quite so sad to say good bye leaving the river boat.

Agree with pp and we weren't tired after the cruise so flying wasn't a big deal.

We'll be on the Danube June 21, too!

On our first river cruise we had ABD drive us to the airport from the boat and I couldn't help but feel like I would have liked to explore Munich before we left.

On our second cruise we stayed an extra day after the cruise before heading home. That was the right choice for us.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! This is so helpful. We will stay in Munich for at least one or maybe two nights.

Not going to book the hotel through ABD. They quoted $700 for a two person room! Yikes. I knew they charged more because they provide the transfers, but geez that’s a lot considering the hotel’s website is quoting me $230 a night.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! This is so helpful. We will stay in Munich for at least one or maybe two nights.

Not going to book the hotel through ABD. They quoted $700 for a two person room! Yikes. I knew they charged more because they provide the transfers, but geez that’s a lot considering the hotel’s website is quoting me $230 a night.
:eek::eek: That is a *huge* difference!

Sayhello

We were exhausted at the end of our river cruise, but wished we had the day in Amsterdam.
If you stay in Munich, your kids might enjoy - The Deutsches Museum - I just googled to get the right name and it is the world's largest museum of science and technology - we had a fun time, and DD still talks about 7 years, and several museums, later....

AND if you phone them up OR " e " mail Direct ( They will speak English ) you might get a better deal .

Look for price for 1/2 Board ( Dinner ,Bed & Breakfast )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter