• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hearing problems advice?

raksha2

LondonEars Pin Trading
Hi,

I have some hearing problems, which cannot be fixed with a hearing aid, so I am told.
basically in most enviroments I cannot tune out background stuff like music to hear conversations. I hate it when trying to chat with DH and he suddenly starts talking about something he has heard on the radio, which i don't hear as i am trying to concentrate on what he was saying!

So would something like the assitive listening devices help me to hear the speaking/background stories etc at WDW or would i be better going for something else? I normally don't use anything as the docs have said it won't help, but I wondered if anyone else has this as a problem could offer me some advice, as I get older i seem to be more aware of it as a problem, and I am starting to wonder how much i am missing.

Thanks for the advice

Toni

ALD's Amplify everything in the shows. I don't find them helpful as I have a hard time understanding the words for all the background noise. Fortunately Disney has other ways to help at the shows. Will explain this afternoon as I need to get to school in a few minutes.

There are 2 threads about Listening Devices. should still be on this page - Talking Hands has great info, and I posted links to allearsnet that shows pictures of the listening devices.

I also posted our experiences my dh and ds both have hearing loss, dh doesnt use hearing aids similiar to you... The most effective for him was the Reflective Captioning... its amazing, because not too many people use this, not all CMs understand where you should sit, so we would go in and sit, and wait till the next show to get the seat to view the captioning - and he stated he didnt realize how much he missed the first time!!

Feel free to ask any questions, or PM me!!

Bumped the 2 pertinent threads up for you.
There is Closed captioning, reflective captioning and handheld captioning available. CC and HC require you to get the device at Guest Services in the park and leave a fully refundable deposit. Deposit is returned when you return the device to Guest Services at the park you recieved it.
Sign language interpreting is also available. It is American Sign Language and is done on a schedule which can be obtained from Guest Services at any park for the week.
Schedule is MK - Mon and Thurs
Epcot - Tues and Fri
Studios - Wed and Sun
AK - Sat

Thanks everyone for your help and advice,

I might try the reflective captioning and /or the handheld device, I started learning sign as I had an interest before i realised my issues with my own hearing, but I am
A) very rusty don't really have opertunity to practice
B) being in UK, have learnt some BSL, and I know ASL is different.

I still find sign facinating to watch [ i end up watching the signer and not the show :rolleyes1 ] , although I probabbly only understand about 10%.

It was only when I changed job and was spending more time working in a controlled enviroment so everyone was wearing masks, that I relieased how much i was lip reading. But the docs think its more a brain issue, with me not "tuning out" the stuff I don't need.

It is also why i love :love: the Adventurers club in PI, as they don't have background music in their main bar, so we can relax and chat about our day, without having to worry about being able to hear

Thanks everyone for all your help.
I will try and post when i return on my experinces

Toni

Does anyone have a list of what shows have "surround" sound and which ones just project from the stage/front? DS has hearing impairment that sounds similar to OP. He can hear, but can't tune out background noise or isolate sound. At a live performance, like a play, we need to be front and center for him to hear the performance. But I know a lot of shows at WDW project sound from all around the theatre - Like Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

We get a GAC to allow the front and center when needed (among other things)- but I don't know when it will be needed. It would just be helpful to know what shows I need to get him closer to the front for and which ones it won't matter.

Thanks,
LisaB

LisaBi said:
Does anyone have a list of what shows have "surround" sound and which ones just project from the stage/front? DS has hearing impairment that sounds similar to OP. He can hear, but can't tune out background noise or isolate sound. At a live performance, like a play, we need to be front and center for him to hear the performance. But I know a lot of shows at WDW project sound from all around the theatre - Like Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

We get a GAC to allow the front and center when needed (among other things)- but I don't know when it will be needed. It would just be helpful to know what shows I need to get him closer to the front for and which ones it won't matter.

Thanks,
LisaB
Hopefully someone knows. I've never seen this question before.
My guess would be that most of the shows are surround sound. All the ones I can think of are.
You might find some assistance with this at the Information station in each park (marked on the map with a large i. That's the place where they have a status board that shows the current wait for things. I've found the CMs there pretty helpful and they are not usually so busy as the CMs at the attractions or at Guest Services.

I have a auditory processing problem and have the same problem with background noise and I have never had to use any listening devices because the show and rides are so loud I hear it very clearly. Now if my kids tried to talk to me while in a show or an attraction I would not hear a thing they said LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter