Help ......2yo question

Hsminnie

Mouseketeer
Ok, I have all the reservations made and all the flights bought and eveything reserved and then the now 22 month old changes. We originally reserved a Ft. Wilderness cabin (Dec) assuming she would need her own room to sleep in. Well, Southwest is lowering their fares yet again, and I am considering rebooking to the end of October. My room selections will be way more limited, so my question (there is one :D) is directed at parents of just about 2yos. (Yeah, I know they're all different)

1. What is your experience with a 2yo napping in a reg hotel room?

For others:

1. Will it be warm enough to swim (i.e. dad takes older sisters to the pool during nap time)

Thanks guys. and gals.

We are just back from trip w/17mos DD. We stayed in a courtyard view room w/king bed at WL. You can request either a pack-n-play or metal crib from housekeeping upon arrival. We went with crip (DD preference). I took two - sided adhesive with me from home and asked for a twin sheet from house keeping. I used adhesive ( no damage to wall) to hang the sheet over the doorway to the bathroom vanity area. We put the crib in this are at night time and for naps.It worked well. We could still have the TV on low and had access to the room without disturbing DD sleep. I could still open the bathroom door enough to slide in in the morning and shower without DD waking up ( this gave her an extra 20 min or so of sleep). We did not risk waking her to go to the bathroom at night so DH and I just used lobby bathrooms before we went to bed at night ( She was out by 8:30 PM).

We are just back from trip w/17mos DD. We stayed in a courtyard view room w/king bed at WL. You can request either a pack-n-play or metal crib from housekeeping upon arrival. We went with crip (DD preference). I took two - sided adhesive with me from home and asked for a twin sheet from house keeping. I used adhesive ( no damage to wall) to hang the sheet over the doorway to the bathroom vanity area. We put the crib in this are at night time and for naps.It worked well. We could still have the TV on low and had access to the room without disturbing DD sleep. I could still open the bathroom door enough to slide in in the morning and shower without DD waking up ( this gave her an extra 20 min or so of sleep). We did not risk waking her to go to the bathroom at night so DH and I just used lobby bathrooms before we went to bed at night ( She was out by 8:30 PM).

We took our 2yro DD w/ us we did have a pack-n-play crib but she rarely slept in it. If she was coming back froma really long day w/ no nap then she would sleep in it for about 3 hrs and then I'd have to put her in her own bed. I don't know where your child sleeps now but ours sleeps in her "big girl bed" so she much more comfortable sleeping on a bed. I just asked housekeeping for about 6 extra pillows to put around her. She never fell off the bed it was a "just in case" thing. the drop was a little more than her bed at home. And as for the noise situation... we always have a tv or radio on at home so we always had one on there. I would try to make things seem as much like home as possible. I hope this helps

We did the same thing Narcoossee did... although she had a better idea with the double-sided tape and the sheet. I brought a tension rod and a shower curtain with us when we went to CSR, put the porta-crib in the vanity area and that's where DD (then 20 months) slept. When we were at AKL last week we just told her it was nap time, shut the shades and she went out on her own :)

My 2 year old DS does not nap in hotel rooms. There is just too much excitement. I've tried many different ideas, and he just will not sleep when he knows others are off doing other things.

We're going to PO-R in Nov for his 3rd birthday. We're staying in the Alligator Bayou so he can have the trundle bed. I'm really hoping he will be so bushed he can't help but sleep. If he won't sleep, I'm going to at least make him rest (books/tv, anything to keep him laying down and quiet for a while to rest up).

What I have found is that in order for him to sleep (at night) in a hotel room, everyone else needs to be sleeping too. He can't fall asleep if we're up and about. So, I'm hoping if I lay down on my bed and "go to sleep" at nap time, he will follow suit.

Best of luck to you! Have a great time whenever you go!

My memory fades as to the age of 2 (selective memory JK) but will he/she still fall asleep in a stroller? If so and you bring your from home try hitting the room, get dad and sis off to the pool. Change and feed the 2yo and play and read a bit in the room. Put them in the stroller and take a walk, most resorts have some sort of quiet shady path to stroll. We used a clip on umbrella in addition to the sunshade and a clip on fan - for noise as well as to cool. We only allowed lovies at nap or bedtime so they knew the purpose of this walk! They always fell asleep this way and I had a bit of a break sitting on a quiet bench - sometimes at the outside pool bar for a sip of something! We did this a night as well and they rarely woke up on the transfer from stroller to bed. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
TJ

and we much prefer something w/a separate room. When we travel, he doesn't want to miss anything, and if we are all in the same room together, either we go to bed when he does, or he's stays up until we go to bed.

We did better with the room at HIFS, where he had a curtain across the door, but we had to go in our room & shut the door until he fell asleep.

Our WDW trip that's coming up, we are staying in a villa, with doors on the bedrooms.

As you can tell from all the other posts, all kids are different. What may work for one, won't necessarily work for the next. You will know which is most like yours.

Good Luck!

iluvtig

All three of our kids have done their fair share of napping in hotel rooms. lol Last December we stayed at AS Sports. At naptime, DH "napped"with our 2 youngest while I took our 11-yo for a swim. We slipped out of the room with our 2 backpacks and put our swimsuits on in the locker rooms, so the nappers wouldn't see that we were heading somewhere fun. The air was a bit chilly at the pool, but the water was warm. After our swim we were able to change back into our dry clothes and go look around the gift shop, etc. We packed snacks in our backpacks, too, as well as a deck of cards, books, and some small travel games. We've done this several times before and DS and I always enjoy having some one-on-one time. In the hotel room, we turn on the bathroom fan for some "white noise" to help drown out the sounds from neighboring rooms and passersby. DH sets a stuffed animal in the window if the DD's are sleeping, so that I know to stay out of the room. If the animal isn't in the window, then I know that we can come back to the room. I hope this is helpful, Christy. Have a great trip! :D

1st trip, with our 18 month DD, she napped great, curled up with napping parents. 2nd trip, with our 2 1/2 year old, she napped great, curled up with her parents...her 8 month old sister napped with one of us...or in the port-a- crib with a blanket draped over it to keep out the light.

On a recent trip, however, not WDW, the now 3 1/2 year old slept OK, while the 18 month old was a terror! Their infant brother slept great, curled up with us.

We're hoping that on this trip to WDW, they'll be tired enough that they will all sleep...I know DH & I will sleep well, if the kids let us! LOL

Good luck.

All the input is so helpful. Of course, I know what will work best for my kids, but it's nice to hear it out loud from other folks as well.

Since I am basically a travel agent's nightmare :eek: I had Barbara check some new options for me. We can't go in Oct, but I am thinking about dropping the rental car, going with Tiffany (or some such) and trying the Polynesian. The older girls will love the pool and the room looks big enough to do the sheet thing some have suggested. Abby is a very amiable child, but she needs her nap. So I'm thinking, me on the patio/balcony, Bob in the pool with Big Sis #1 and #2 and the Abster in her pack n play in the room.

Thanks again ya'll!

We took our 2 yo ds last December. He is a really BIG napper (at a little over 3, it's still not unusual for him to take a 3 hour nap!). Soooo, I booked us into the treehouses at the DI so we could come home each day for him to nap in his own room. (We have never had any luck getting him to sleep anywhere other than by himself;) ) Well, wouldn't you know he fell asleep in his stroller in the parks everyday for about 30-45 minutes, and that was all of the nap he was interested in! His mood was remarkably good for all of the nap time he missed. I guess it must have been all of the excitement of WDW! The only day he took a "real" nap was the day of MVMCP! This year I went ahead and just booked us into a regular room figuring he won't be napping anyway. Who knows? You might get there and have the same thing happen to you.:)

One of the things I hate about vactions is sleeping in the same room with my DD. I am too tuned into her noises and she keeps me up, I think we keep her up too. Last year we stayed at Poly in early Dec and it was great (she was 8 1/2 months old then). If you have never stayed there before, go for it. It is great how close it is to MK, and very family friendly. I have also heard good things about Tiffany Town car and plan to use them this year.

I missed that the rooms where we stayed did not have the separation for bathroom sink from the rest of the room. (as Y&B did) I would of liked to stick the crib in there. Instead we put the crib beside the bed furthest from us and put the pillows up so she couldn't see us. Back then she was young enough that worked. For nap we ducked on the balcony until she was alseep.

This year she will be 23 month old when we take our trip (March 2003) and just joined DVC so we rented a 1 bedroom at Beach Club Villas. However we only have enough points for every other year 1 bedroom and the next studio. Good luck. My hope is that she will be so warn out that she will just nap and sleep at night with no problems. (we can all hope right! :D )

Just a note:
If you are planning to use the port-a-crib or crib you need your own sheets - blankets! ;) glad I asked that guestion elsewhere or I really would have been in trouble!

My 2 year old will be sleeping with us, and if we come back to the room for a nap he will sleep in our bed. My dh will take the others to the pool and I will lay down with ds and tell him a story and he will fall asleep..
If we do not come back to the room, he will fall asleep in the stroller or sometimes, if I carry him, he will fall asleep on me.

A few years ago we went with our then 2 1/2 year old DD and gave up on naps after the first day. She slept a bit on and off in her stoller and by the time DH got her back to the room, she was too wound up and excited to sleep. After that, we gave it up and just let her nap when and where she wanted in her stoller. It worked out great for us, because we prefer not to take mid-day breaks anyway; we'd only planned on it because at the time it seemed like a good idea to keep her to her normal napping schedule. She did great napping in her stroller, though...much to my surprise because she was always one to need her naps!

Kim

We went in Oct. and were able to swim at night, so it was definitely OK in the day.

Our 18 mo. old would pass out in his stroller sometimes, but we took our own so he could recline. Even if he didn't sleep during our break, we darkened the room, and had quiet time every day. Having familiar linens is nice, because it smells like home and feels familiar. When my dd was 2, she didn't nap, but it worked out fine. Again, she took some stroller naps which worked out better than us trying to have nap time.

Last year when my son was 25 months old we stayed at the Poly and requested both a crib and bed rails. He slept in the crib a couple of nights, but he is big for his age and he was kinda scrunched up in the crib (it wasn't a full size one). We ended up putting him in the day bed with the bed rails on for night time sleeping.

But to get him to sleep for both nighttime and naps I would lie down with him on the bed with the drapes closed and the lights off. Sometimes it would take awhile but eventually he would fall asleep.

He never fell asleep in the stroller or anywhere else. At home he normally took a nap every day, but at Disney it was just a couple of times during the week that we did a nap. Other nights he just fell asleep earlier.

Zephyr

Just back!
WE got a porta-crib (he uses one at memere's and is familiar with them). It fit between the bed and the slider with out obstructing the slider! They supplied a sheet and we had brought blankie. If he woke up in the middle of the night it was easy to reach over and help him up to our bed for the rest of the night! One day he napped on the bed - woke up and crawled into the porta-crib! Noth Thans a ghange! LOL

We had our own reclining stroller and we would fall asleep in the late after noon for a while wherever we were!
:( only prob was when we got caught in the rain and it started sqeeking like mad! But I walked over to the bike rental and they helped me out - putting a little oil on the squeeky wheels! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter