Help! AKV or SSR?

TaxiLab127

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm thinking about taking a solo trip April 25-28 to take in the Flower & Garden show. I would be renting points. I tried for BWV or BCV but since it's about 2 months away, those weren't available. SSR and AKV were given as alternates. I haven't stayed at either. I love animals and have always wanted to stay at AKL but it's so far away. I'm there only a short time and afraid of spending all my time on buses ;) What do you think? All opinions welcome! And TIA!

Julie

AKV is our home resort and we totally love staying there. MK is the one park of the four that seems to take the longest to get to. The other three are rather quick (especially AK, obviously). One nice thing about AKV is that there are only two bus stops, and they stop at Kidani first. It seems like it would be a nice opportunity for you to try a very cool resort, and if you don't like it, at least you didn't blow an entire weeks points.

SSR does have the advantage of being close to DTD, if that is something important. DTD seems far from AKV by bus. We have only stayed at SSR once, and it was in January with a 2-1/2 year old, so we really did not get to know the resort very well. The rooms are laid out exactly like the rooms at BWV.

Enjoy! We are excited about our one day at F&G coming up in early April as we travel back home from Spring Break!

I'm not a long time owner, but I returned from my 5 day solo trip 3 weeks ago, so I have a little experience. While I was at the world, I stayed at SSR and OKW, with a reservation at Sanaa. I must say that the bus ride to AKV from DTD was extremely long. It seemed to be about double the time it took to get from SSR to MK, which was the second longest bus ride I took during this trip. This may have been just an illusion, because I was worried about missing a dinner reservation, but that's how it seemed.

SSR isn't super accessible either, but it's a little more in the thick of it with a 10 minute ride to Epcot, 10-15 to HS, and 20 to MK.

If you want to see the animals, you can go to AKV and walk onto the Savanna viewing area. I went onto the one next to the Sanaa check in area. They hand out nightvision camaras (free) and you can spend as much time as you want out there. They have African "guides" who will talk to you about the animals and about home. I prefer short rides (motion sickness), so I'd go with SSR. The way I see AKV is that it's a great place to go and forget that you are at Disney. There is so much to do just in/around those two buildings.

Our home resort is VWL, but if given the chose between SSR and AKV, it would be a no-brainer. We would take Animal Kingdom in a heartbeat. It's such a beautiful resort with great restaurants, excellent pool AND the animals. The theming is just lovely. SSR is centrally located, but we really don't care for it (it would be our last choice of all the DVC resorts). It's so spread out, you could be super far from the main building/pool and I don't really get a sense of the Disney theming when I'm there. It's still very nice, just not our favorite.

As long as you don't plan on going back and forth to the parks/room a lot, the bus ride should not really be a problem

Id probably lean AKV, (because i like animals, too) but it depends on your vacation style.

I would guess the availability is at Kidani...which has no breakfast dining or quick service.. You can make a 10 min walk to Jambo, though.

SSR now has 2 quick service location with breakfast.
..so you have to think about, what service you use in a resort during a vacation.

AKL is our home resort, and we have stayed at SSR. I would strongly recommend AKL. It is just amazing to be around those animals! We didn't feel the distances were terrible at all. It was nice to be able to walk to Downtown Disney from SSR, but we don't spend a ton of time there.

Have a great trip!

Agree with the others. I vote AKV. SSR is one of my least favorite. I do like that AKVs don't share buses with other resorts and the fact that there are only 2 stops make up for the distance.

Thanks so much for your responses. :thumbsup2

I've decided on AKV because of the animals and the theme. If I'm going to stay on site, I really want it to feel like some place special and I think that will be true at AKV. I can't wait! Thanks again!:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter