Help - decide what hotel for me please!

MsMoneyPenny

Mouseketeer
I can't make up my mind :confused3 so please do it for me. I was going to stay at Universal's RPR (because I stayed there before with friends and loved it), but I think there will be more for me to do at Disney so that's where I'm going but I just can't decide. I had lots of suggestions from my last thread (a bit thankyou to everyone) and I've narrowed it down to 2 choices and this is where you guys come in.

I'm a 30 year old female and this will be my first solo trip, I will be doing a 7 night stay and will be visiting all the parks. What hotel do you think I should go for:

Wilderness Lodge
Yacht Club

Thanks.

I vote for the Yacht Club. As a solo traveler, I love the Epcot resorts area. So much to do-walk to MGM or Epcot, eat at B&C, Boardwalk Bakery, watch the Boardwalk Entertainment, sit on the benches in front and watch the boats-can't beat that area, IMHO.

Do the Yacht Club - excellent pool area and plenty to do in the EPCOT resorts area. Don't forget karaoke at the Swan...

Not to confuse you further, but I think the best resort for a solo adult is the Boardwalk Inn. More adults (lots of conventioners), less children, so you don't feel conspicuous. But the Yacht Club is close enough. It has a quiet pool and around the main pool (Stormalong Bay) they have servers come around and they can give you someone to talk to.

I would Say Yacht Club but would also suggest The Boardwalk Stayed there with my mom in May 2004. The rooms were very nice and the quiet pool was very relaxing. If you can't get the Yacht Club try for the Boardwalk Inn !

Amy

I had never really though about the Boardwalk but the more I think about it the more I like the sound of it. Just one question about the Wilderness Lodge though (I've always wanted to stay there) - do you think I'd feel 'out of place' being solo there?

Thanks

I don't think you feel out of place anywhere in Disney. Don't imagine that guests are walking around gawking at you and saying, "There's a solo!" How do you people know that your husband isn't off playing golf or your kids are in the arcade? Families are too busy chasing after their kids to notice you!

Now if you feel sensitive to being alone and seeing others cavorting with their groups, then yes you may feel a bit out of place. The Boardwalk is good for this because there are lots of solos there, especially from the conventions. Lots of solos lying around the quiet pools or sitting in the Belle Vue lounge. It's actually a very relaxing resort.

Yacht Club also is a convention hotel, so you will find more adults and solos there, but a lot of families, as well.

I love the location--there is a lot to do and you're within walking distance of EPCOT! Technically within walking distance of Disney/MGM, but it's a bit more than my left leg can handle! :)

This is a tough one.

My vote is for the Wilderness Lodge. I've stayed there twice solo and am planning on another return. I love this resort for many reasons. It's small and compact, so it's a quick walk to everything. Love the 2 pool options, as well as the hot tubs. The lobby is amazing and is so relaxing to plunk yourself into one of the deep leather chairs and just gaze at the roaring fire. It's a quick boat ride to both the Magic kingdom & to the Contemporary to connect to the Monorail. If you can, request room #:5032. I had this room on my last stay and had an amazing view of the Castle! No, I never felt out of place staying there. It's my favorite resort on property.

YC - the transportation to EPcot and Studios is either walk or boat.

now the MK and AK are bus.

YC is a very adult hotel. I didn't enjoy it because of this - I like layed backed.

but most (not all) adults like Epcot or Studios a little better than MK.

if you know the majority of your trip will be at the MK - then WL or Polyn.

the Polyn also has great transportation to Epcot - you can walk to the monrail that goes to EPcot from Polyn.

I've narrowed it down to the Boardwalk and Wilderness Lodge - Boardwalk is obviously close to Epcot and MGM but something about the Wilderness Lodge really appeals to me. I think I might have to draw a name out of a hat to decide! :D

You really can't go wrong actually. I think you'll have a wonderful time no matter where you stay. The WL is a beautiful place. Just wear a T-shirt that says "I'm Solo and I'm proud!"

Oooh my thoughts exactly!!!! And don't forget the bakery! YUM! :cool1:
Simba's Mom said:
I vote for the Yacht Club. As a solo traveler, I love the Epcot resorts area. So much to do-walk to MGM or Epcot, eat at B&C, Boardwalk Bakery, watch the Boardwalk Entertainment, sit on the benches in front and watch the boats-can't beat that area, IMHO.

Okay, I am a 34 year old woman who has gone solo (10 days, Nov. 2003) and loved every minute at Disney. I highly recommend going solo especially if your used to having quiet time to yourself. As for the hotels:

Yacht Club - fabulous. As your an adult, you will love the simple beauty of this resort, the fact that it is located in between two great parks and the easy access and multiple entertainment venues in this area alone. 3 months ago, mom and I rented BWV points and had a great time sitting on the balcony watching the activities on the BW at night. We loved walking around that area and just taking time to shop, walk the grounds and stop over at Beaches and Cream for Icecream. I would suggest instead of staying at YC, look into renting points from a DVC owner for a stay at the Beach Club Villas (studio). In the offseason, a Sun through Thursday night stay can be as cheap as $120 a night compared to the $200 plus you would pay for a room at YC. You get the exact same amentities as the hotel guest (except you won't have a maid clean your room everyday but as your solo you won't have a huge mess either) in that transportation, pool, rest. are available for your use and you'll just be on the opposite side of the resort (part closest to Epcot).

Wilderness Lodge - one of my favorites. I always feel relaxed when I go here. It is so elegant and peaceful. My wish for you is that you get your wish. Please split your stay. Rent points at BCV for 4 nights, then move to WL for the last 3. As your solo (I moved 3 times during my 10 day solo trip), it is very easy to repack (took me 30 minutes), call bell services and they will move your luggage to your next onsite resort for you. Then go to a park and to WL later on in the day to check in. It really didn't take me that long to do any of this and I got to enjoy 3 different resort stays during my vacation.

You get the best of both worlds all in one trip. Lastly regarding my solo trip - I never once felt out of place. I had many conversation with people at bus stops, on the bus, in lines for rides or eating by myself in restaurants. I even had a great day at the waterpark (TL) and highly recommend that you do a day at one. I kept a small journal with me (and would write in it while waiting for my meals) and wrote down my thoughts which I do occasionally refer back to and it always brings a smile to my face because I was truly happy there by myself. There was no pressure, no stress and very few worries - I did relax. I swam nearly every night, I shopped for as long and as much as I wanted and most importantly - I rode SM about a gazillion times (maybe I'm a big kid after all). I didn't have to hear how anyone else was tired, or there feet hurt, or they had a headache (no one was there). For 10 days, I left reality and felt peaceful and as I was at PORS for most of my stay, I did smell the roses. Go to Disney, have fun, don't be self conscious (I had a lot of women tell me that they wished they could've been there solo) and most importantly, leave the reality of your everyday life at home as it will be there when you get back.

yecats thank you so much for your response - I was quite nervous but you make me feel much better :sunny: I think a split stay would be perfect and I could get the best of both worlds, thank you again.

Your welcome. You'll enjoy your time there. I want to go back right now so bad, I truly love it there. My last stay was also a split stay (Nov. 2004) wherein I stayed at CSR and BWV and wouldn't change a thing about that stay. I would like to provide a tip, make a PS for Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic dinner package. The food is good, they will stick you in a 2 seat booth or table) and you'll have a wonderful reserved spot to watch fantasmic without having to wait 1hour or more in line (just arrive about 20 minutes before showtime). Two years ago when I ate here, the CM who was waiting on me was so sweet, she introduced me to nearly everybody at the tables next to me (plenty of people were around and I had so many conversations) and by the time dinner was over, no fewer than 8 women came up to me and stated that wished they were there alone - so you will be envied. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask or pm me.

It depends on what you want from a hotel. Boardwalk has a lot more to do. All the restausrants and clubs there, Yacht and Beach, Swan and Dolphin and Epcot and MGM close by. If you want to relax and chill I'd absolutely say WL. IMHO the most visually stunning property, great lobby to relax in and the Territory Lounge might be WDW best bar located in a hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter