Help me decide! October or November 2018

bbak30

DIS Veteran
Hi all!
I'm having a hard time deciding when to take our next trip.

My girls have 2 days off for fall break which falls on Columbus Day weekend. We would fly in late Thursday night and have 4 days in the parks.

Other option is the week of thanksgiving. We would fly in late Friday night and spend 4 days in the parks, returning the day before Thanksgiving.

We could do either MNSSHP or MVMCP. We have only done the Halloween party and loved it!

I know both weeks are busy, so what are some other factors to consider? We may be able to get free dining if we go for November.

Any suggestions?!?!

I would do week before Thanksgiving - first of all, all the Christmas decor is up and is amazing if you haven't seen it before. It is our favorite season to be there with the gorgeous castle lights, decor on Main St., giant gingerbread house at GF, and much more:santa:. We have been there that timing leading into Thanksgiving and all the way through to beginning of the week after on various trips, and it is definitely less busy before and after, so I think you will be okay, especially since you have been before and based on this, guessing you will plan well ahead! I also like the fact that you can come home and not rush back to school/work with the holiday and then the weekend off for most people, since you need a vacation from your vacation after Disney! The only bad thing is that they suspend MVMCP over that week, so if you are interested, you would have to fly in Thursday nt. to catch last party Friday. I feel like Columbus day weekend is worse right now crowdwise, as it coincides with some fall breaks as you mentioned, many schools off for the holiday, and some schools around us have the Friday off for the kids(teacher inservice), so people take advantage of 4 day weekend. Add to that Jewish holidays falling around this time for some schools(my cousins planned their trip around those days off last yr, which led up to that weekend), and it also Canadian Thanksgiving. I was just reading on here the other day about crazy wait times over the weekend this year(105 min. for JC at 9:30am:scared1:), which could have been compounded by rescheduled hurricane trips as well. Oh, but speaking of hurricanes, you also have less chance of any problems with those at Thanksgiving!

Take a look at Columbus Day crowds from this year. Crowd levels at a 9 at MK!

I'd definitely pick November. Less risk of hurricanes, cooler weather and Christmas decor! Still will probably be crazy busy, but at least the other factors will be better.

The first full week of October used to be our favorite time to go. As more school systems have moved to Fall breaks that week, Columbus Day, religious holidays, international holidays, it has become extremely busy. Our last October trip was 2015. Sadly, it looks to be the last for quite some time. (I'll sure miss MNSSHP!!!) I hear that if you go later in the months (excluding F&W weekends at EP) that the crowds begin to dwindle.

We are booking ahead of Thanksgiving for next year. Arrival on Wednesday night the week before so we can catch a MVMCP before they suspend them for the holiday week. We plan to depart on Thanksgiving day. Looking forward to seeing the Christmas decor again.

A family member of mine went thanksgiving week a few years back and said it wasn't terrible crowd wise. Also consider flying home Thanksgiving morning as rates are likely significantly cheaper than the day before and airports much less crowded.

Just back from being at WDW Oct 1-9. Weather was great even though weather report said it would be horrible. We stayed on property so could get fastpass 60 days in advance. This made a huge difference. It was crowded!! lines were all 45 min. to bigger rides being 180 minutes or more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter