Help me select resort for next vacation

kassonvike

Mouseketeer
New SSR owner. We have stayed at Animial Kingdom Lodge Deluxe hotel room (non-DVC last year and loved it). Last week we stayed at SSR (as a DVC owner) and had a great time. I didn't like how the buses had so many stops within the resort and the resort is pretty spread out, but we enjoyed it and had no complaints. We also found that the time to the parks wasn't that bad once we actually timed them.

Next year we are going late August for 10 days. There will be 5 of us this time. Husband, Wife, 7 year old and 4 year old. We will also be bringing along my mother-in-law who is in mid 60s, fairly good health but some asthma and minor knee issues. Usually does pretty well but I think LONG walks with little rest might become an issue.

Anyways, for now I booked a 2 bedroom at SSR. We tend to stick with Disney Trasportation. I was toying with the idea of tree house villas but I think that might require a lot of extra walking.

I also liked Animal Kingdom so may consider a 2 bedroom there. I wanted to consider BLT since it is so close to Magic Kingdom but I have read some threads that said transportation to other parks is less than ideal. I also was considering Board Walk, since my wife and I could duck out and head to Epcot a few nights and leave the kids with Grandma.

I'm also guessing the weather will be a lot warmer than we are accustomed to since we usually go in Nov/Dec timeframes in the past which may make the walking issues even worse.

I'm starting to lean towards just sticking with SSR, but long term I'd like to try some of the other resorts too. A little fear of the unknown though. Even though SSR is so spread out, you are almost always close to a bus stop and almost always near a pool. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

BWV, Boardwalk View with MIL, without just pick one you haven't stayed at yet. In a few years you will have experienced them all.

:earsboy: Bill

What about VWL? I actually feel that is the most compact resort. Close to its "mother hotel" (WL) with all its amenities, short walk to the one bus stop and the boat to MK. Buses do stop at FW on the way to the parks from what I remember, but this wasn't too bothersome.

Large, spread out resorts like SSR & OKW shouldn't be too bad to the parks because as you said, there is a bus stop close to every location. But I have found that within the resort there is a ton of walking (ie to the store, quick service restaurant, a particular pool). This probably won't bug your immediate family but might be bad for the grandmother with bad knees. I would also keep in mind that while the walk to Epcot from BWV and BCV is relatively quick, it's still several hundred yards depending on where you're walking from, so she might be bothered by that too at the end of a long Epcot day if you stay at one if those places.

Anyway I vote VWL!

I like your idea of AKV, but I'd recommend Jambo over Kidani. Last month, I stayed at Kidani and even though I requested "close to lobby", I was further from the lobby than I've ever been (and that includes POR, when once I was in the furthest out building). Considering how painful it was for my sciatica, I wouldn't recommend chancing it for your DMIL's knees.

If you liked SSR, you'd probably enjoy OKW and the rooms there are huge! Or ditto the VWL suggestion, although we've only stayed in the lodge not the villas. VWL does share buses with other deluxe resorts, so that adds onto bus time.

Usually does pretty well but I think LONG walks with little rest might become an issue.

I also was considering Board Walk, since my wife and I could duck out and head to Epcot a few nights and leave the kids with Grandma.

Thanks
It will be very hot and very humid, so maybe rent a scooter if it becomes too much. You can rent them on a daily basis ( first come first served, the earlier the better) at the park! MK is a constant stop and start park but Epcot and Animal Kingdom require a lot more walking. Some people struggle with the idea but it can be the difference in an enjoyable trip or a miserable one! My 78 year old Aunt took to it like a fish in water, only in Norway did she almost take out the CM, other than that, smooth sailing!

Why not try BWV, I like the standard view 2bd, it's close to Epcot and DHS, so if the heat and walking becomes an issue, they can head back to the villa/pool for a break, plus you get to try out a new resort.

I think they all have something to offer and a stay at any of them would work for you!

It rains a lot in FL in August. If your kids are good swimmers, then BCV may be an option but consider the rain factor & how much of the day your kids swim. When we stay @ BCV, we spend most of the day @ SAB. BWV has a great community hall, nightly entertainment on the Boardwalk, and short distance to Epcot & DHS. BCV is just across from BWV so the walk or boat ride is not a bad walk.

AKV was nice but we did not like the limited dining options @ Kidani. Boma was excellent for breakfast. I think BCV & BWV have more dining options plus countries in Epcot. We are foodies so dining is important to us. Like BCV & BWV pools & community hall @ BWV better than AKV.

When we go for 10 days we like to do 5 nights each at two different resorts. Our home resorts are AKV and SSR. We haven't stayed at SSR yet. We've stayed multiple times at AKV, once at BWV, once at OKW, and once at BLT. We've loved them all, but BLT is my new favourite. At BWV we loved walking to Epcot and HS, but didn't like the busses (multiple stops at other resorts). We love the atmosphere of AKV, and have never had a problem with the busses. OKW was nice, relaxing, great bus service, and loved the boat ride to DTD. At BLT we loved the easy walk to MK, theme of the room, food choices at Contemporary, monorail to Epcot. Hopefully in the next few years we'll have tried them all. I'm sure no matter what you chose, you'll have a great time,and there's always next time for the other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter