Help Me Update My Tent Camping Set Up

thegoof121

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I'll be heading down to the Fort this winter and am looking at spending a little bit of money upgrading my tent camping setup. My current set up is:

· An Ozark Trail 4 person “Sundome” style tent
· A light weight sleeping bag
· A Coleman Blow Up sleeping pad

I’m looking at either upgrading my tent to something that may be a little nicer, or grabbing a cot. When we went tot the Fort this summer, sleeping on the ground was no bueno. I’m hoping a cot will sleeping nicer. We also had an issue with water getting into the tent, but I think this was caused by the weird way we staked everything, which I think I figured out now.

What would you buy if you were me and wanted to upgrade your set up?

As for your tent, if shopping for a new one, read reviews. We love our Columbia tent. Our particular model is huge, but has worked well for our family for six or seven years. Water could be from not using a tarp under your tent. We just camped (came home today) and were glad we used a tarp on a dry weekend because the tarp was all wet on the ground side.
I insist on a raised bed while camping. My body refuses to sleep on the ground anymore. We used an electric blanket since it was cold at night.

Do you want suggestions on other gear, or do you have that covered?

As for your tent, if shopping for a new one, read reviews. We love our Columbia tent. Our particular model is huge, but has worked well for our family for six or seven years. Water could be from not using a tarp under your tent. We just camped (came home today) and were glad we used a tarp on a dry weekend because the tarp was all wet on the ground side.
I insist on a raised bed while camping. My body refuses to sleep on the ground anymore. We used an electric blanket since it was cold at night.

Do you want suggestions on other gear, or do you have that covered?

Thanks for your advice.

I'll take suggestions for other gear if you can think of something else that is important.

Lantern or other lighting to illuminate your site. There are good LED lanterns now that are much easier than dealing with fuel and mantels.

I like my handy Coleman stove. If we have an electric site, an electric frying pan is useful.

Have you looked up lists online? Like any packing list, keep in mind that everyone has preferences.
When we camp, we pack clothes in plastic storage tubs. It makes storage easier, it's waterproof, and they double as tables.

We use coleman air mattresses. We blow them up with a battery-operated pump. My mother-in-law uses a double-high air mattress because it is easier to get on and off, but I think they are too bouncy. If you buy a cot, you may also want to consider using a cot-size air mattress or a foam pad. We have this cot, and it is very uncomfortable:https://www.rei.com/product/828505/rei-camp-folding-cot
If you can, go to a store like REI where they will let you try out cots before you buy it.

I'd also buy a "cabin-style" tent so I could stand upright. We have dome-style tents and after a few days of hunching over in the tent and getting dressed sitting down, my back gets achy. I don't have any recommendations though. I don't think you can wrong with a Coleman or a Wenzel. I have one of each brand and both have survived several trips in rain, wind, and cold temps.

I keep all of the essentials (silverware, lighters and fire starters, cooking utensils, sponges and dishcloths, extra batteries, etc) in a plastic 3-drawer unit. It helps keep everything organized and handy, I don't unpack it in between trips. I just restock it as needed.

I think you can see a picture of it in this pic:
parvin%20set%20up.jpg

parvin%20set%20up.jpg

The table you see in at the end of the picnic table is from REI. It is great for cooking on and keeping the picnic table free.

Good luck with your set up!
parvin%20set%20up.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. For right now, I think I'm going to start with the cot. I'm currently looking at grabbing one of these from WalMart, because the price is right.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Aluminum-Camp-Cot/42571981
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Easy-Fold-Camp-Cot/39511132

I'm kind of attracted to the folding one because it will be easier to store and it looks more comfortable. I may be able to throw my sleeping pad on the other one though, so that one may win out.

I would highly recommend and "instant" cabin tent. We have a 12 person one that sets up in less than two minutes. We only used it a few times before we bought a camper, but may use it again for something. After having the instant tent, there is no going back to any other. The frame stays attached to the nylon and and it almost puts itself up.

Mine is Bushnell, but I know Coleman and Walmart (Ozark Trail) also make them.

I would go with a 30" or 32" high air mattress with a built in pump, over a cot. Buy an electric blanket or mattress pad to put under you, on top the air mattress so you don't freeze. For a winter trip, I would also highly recommend an electric heater. And with all this power, you're going to need a 12 gauge extension cord with good quality surge protector to run it all.

Have a blast!

Want to thank everyone for their support, I've taken all the advice to heart. The rest of this post is slightly off topic, but I'm not sure its enough to make a separate post.

I went ahead and set the tent I used last time up in the backyard to allow it to air out before we head to the Fort. Unfortunately, the night after I set it up, the sky fell out, and I figured out for a second time that my tent set up is not completely waterproof. When I got home tonight, I pulled a cup or two of water out of the bottom of the tent. I'm pretty sure most of the water is coming out of the door, based on where the water was pooling. There won't be enough time between now and when we leave for everything to dry out, so I ran to WalMart and picked up a second tent. The new tent is slightly smaller (4 person instead of 6 person) and has a fly which covers more of the tent. It's also Coleman instead of Ozark Trail. I set it up on our porch tonight, and put on a first layer of seam sealant. Tomorrow, I'll spray the rain fly (and any other exposed parts) with scotch guard. (I'm not sure when I sealed the last tent...)

I've not given up on my old behemoth tent yet. In the future, though, I think I'm going to use a tarp over the door when it rains. The smaller tent is easier to put up, though. I put it up completely by myself, where the other tent is a 2 person job.

Good thing you checked the tent. I am not sure what the issue is, though. I have never sealed my tents and have not had an issue with rain leaking in (unless something touches the inside of the tent). And we have camped in heavy rain! Any other campers have ideas about why his tent is leaking so much?

Another idea to try is to hang a big tarp over the tent. We have done that in the past and it helps keep the tent dry.

Sorry about your went tent. We went through so many tents and every single one we owned ended up getting water in it. We put plastic underneath, put tarps above and still got wet. In the end that was one of the huge deciding factors in us moving to a trailer. I hope your new tent keeps you dry. Definitely hang a tarp over your tent, it will help.

We LOVE our Therm-A-Rest sleep pads. We have the Base Camps. They are super comfy, light weight, and easy to store. They keep you warm if the ground is cold too. For the three of us we got two larges and one XL. Together it's the size of a king mattress. SOOO much better than the blow up mattresses!

We LOVE our Therm-A-Rest sleep pads. We have the Base Camps. They are super comfy, light weight, and easy to store. They keep you warm if the ground is cold too. For the three of us we got two larges and one XL. Together it's the size of a king mattress. SOOO much better than the blow up mattresses!

I actually own a pair of the ThermaRest Base Camp air mattresses also, XanderMickey.

When I would go backpacking in the Rocky Mountains of New Mexico with the Boy Scouts at Philmont Scout Ranch (5 different trips), I don't think I used the same sleep solution twice.

The last 3 times, each time I got a progressively better foam/air mattress until I finished with the Base Camps and got happy sleep on those 12 nights. When I was packing 60-70 pounds at 7k-13k altitude, your body can go about 4-5 days before you reach exhaustion if you don't have a good sleep system (mattress and cover/sleeping bag). The Base Camp may be thicker and heavier than the accordion, Z-style folding bubble type mattresses but the improved sleep is SO worth it. I use them still with my camping cots to prevent heat loss under my back when set up in cold temps. I'll be bringing them both to WDW and the Fort next month (for my children to use outside) for the thermal protection and the padded sleep comfort.

I would recommend these too. It just depends on how you camp both at the Fort and elsewhere.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter