HELP: Moving to Australia. Which City?

Thank you to everyone for your kindness and for sharing your input!

It seems like the suburbs of Melbourne (Geelong, Yarra Valley, Ballarat) and Brisbane (Sunshine Coast / Hinterland) have the most positive feedback. It doesn’t seem like many people recommended Perth or Adelaide in this scenario.

Regarding recommendations for best place to raise a family, on an acre of land, with the best weather and lower cost of living … are these the most relevant recommendations? Or, are there other cities that better fit these preferences?

Thanks again!

I agree with Puggle's recommendation of Canberra. It's a lovely natural environment, not a big city, lots of things to do and family friendly. Sydney is about 3 hours by car, the coast (Wollongong or Batemans Bay) is about 2.5 hours and the snow is 2 hours away.
It has great schools, wineries, an airport and even a zoo. Lots of different housing options available (Googong and Royalla are technically in Queanbeyan, but have some larger blocks than you normally find in the city and are about 30 mins from the centre of Canberra).

Regarding moving to Australia: In reviewing what city to live, (outside of Sydney), what are the Pros & Cons of the 4 major cities:

- Melbourne
- Brisbane (Gold / Sunshine Coasts)
- Perth
- Adelaide (Adelaide Hills / Barossa Valley)

Context:
- Husband/Wife (staring a family soon).
- Self-employed (work from home).
- Likes: sunshine/breeze, natural/local food, beauty/nature, culture/orchestra.
- Dislikes: big city / crowds, high humidity/mosquitoes.
- Preference: House on 1+ acre scenic land / budget-friendly cost of living / airport nearby.
- Family-friendly: Raise family near ‘big city amenities’ / no need for ‘crazy night life’.

Which city is the best fit? Are there other suburbs/regions that I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, New to this Forum but looking froward to enjoying it..as for where..look at the Central Coast Area about 1 hr 45 north of Sydney..beautiful beaches and nice rural properties available as well..as both my wife and I have lived in a few States all have their own beauty..south is colder north is hotter so I think Central coast is perfect best of both worlds..hope you love your new adventure in Oz
KAA

Regarding recommendations for best place to raise a family, on an acre of land, with the best weather and lower cost of living … are these the most relevant recommendations? Or, are there other cities that better fit these preferences?

Thanks again!

I think the recommendations are solid. However, I just wanted to advise tempering your expectations. Australia has a high cost of living and there really is no way around that no matter where you go. The real estate market is considerably costly compared with other countries. This is a fantastic country to live but you certainly pay for it. If you are prepared to make compromises and set realistic expectations you'll be golden and really enjoy your Australian life.

You will also really need to tour the areas you're interested in before you move to get a glimpse of what life will be like there.

For what it's worth.....

Perth has been my hometown for nigh on 50 years. Having travelled extensively through the rest of Australia (bar Darwin) I can happily say hands down that Perth is the best place to live and raise a family in the country. However based on your criteria as stated it will not be suitable for yourself.
We are unfortunately the most expensive state for cost of living in the country. And our house prices (even though they have remained static for the past 2 years) are still roughly the second highest in the country behind Sydney. And if you are serious about finding an acre to live on (good luck finding that anywhere near most cities in the country mind you), you will need close to $1 million as a starting point here in Perth.
Forget the weather issues. This summer we have had a very mild season compared to previous years with far more days in the high 20's than the 30's & 40's C. Gets way hotter elsewhere in the country and the humidity here is non- existent compared to the more Northern parts of the nation. But in your search for a suitable city I think one of the Eastern states would suit you better.

Best of luck.

Have you made any further decisions yet? Feel free to message me about any questions you might have about Geelong. I have 2 young kids so know a bit about the schools as well as the area :)

I am also Born and Bred Melbourne, but if you want to work near the city, yet live in a nice area, I'd recommend the Mornington Peninsula or down near Torquay past Geelong.

Melbourne has great restaurants, theatre, sport and culture in general. Oh, and shopping.

The bad stuff:

Our weather can be unpredictable sometimes - prepare for 4 seasons in 1 day
The traffic on the freeways can be bad and public transport isn't as reliable as I'd like it to be
Cost of houses in Melbourne city is expensive.

We are only a 1 hour flight from Sydney and 2 hours from Brisbane/Gold Coast or Adelaide.

Sorry, I know that this is an older thread, but had to put a vote in for the Mornington Peninsula. Only an hour from Melbourne and is a beautiful place to live. Not that I'm biased of course. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter