Update-we chose Hyatt Place Safe clean hotel within walking distance or good shuttle times?

Definetly Hojo. Stayed there over a dozen times in the past 10 years. No complaints and one of only 2 hotels on Harbor with indoor hallways!
I haven't seen Hojo rates in the $150 range in a couple of years, even using the DIS discount and booking well in advance. What am I doing wrong?

Red Lion is usually our go-to cheap hotel. It's certainly nothing fancy, but it's a bed within walking distance and you can usually get it for around $99 if it's not a really busy time. It's right next to the Toy Story lot so coming back at night you can take the shuttle to save a few steps.

Oh my goodness, all this info is amazing!

I would never have know about staying near the "TS" lot and then taking the tram, that is such an awesome tip.

Also the ART route info too, I had never considered that. I guess because we have always had a rental car I had not even had it on my radar.

We're big fans of BW Stovall's, there is also a BW Pavilions on that same end of Katella. Both are walkable, but Stovall's is closer (ART Shuttle right in front though). Can't say enough good things about this hotel, including the complimentary breakfast. Back on the Harbor side check out Castle Inn, Hotel Indigo, King's Inn and there is a BW Raffles that is close to the Toy Story Parking lot (i think), so they could walk from the hotel into the parking lot and take the tram. I've seen consistently poor reviews on Red Lion and Four Points Sheraton (both before and after the remodel-rebrand), of course there are some decent reviews mixed in, but more of them seem negative. I take reviews with a grain of salt, but have never been steered wrong sticking to hotels that are consistently well rated with the odd poor review tossed in over ones that are consistently rated poorly with the odd decent review. There are a lot of choices that will fit the bill for your kids, hoping you find just the right one especially with the short notice.

Every time I go on Red Lion's website to look up hotel prices for their Anaheim location, it never gives me any information and it says to call the hotel directly. Have any of you run into that as well?

We enjoyed the Fairfield Inn. No need for a shuttle. It is less than a block to the crosswalk into Disney. Okay, NM. Looking online I see they are not in your price point. I guess we must have got a good package deal through our travel agent because we did not spend that much.

Oh WOW you guys! I looked up the street view of the Toy Story parking lot and then just followed along South Harbour - there are soooo many hotels that would be great for my kids.

This was such a fabulous suggestion and thanks to all of you who have posts ideas.

I have some Hyatt points I may just give them and let them pay the balance for the Hyatt Place which looks like it might not be more than 2 blocks tops from the Toy Story lot but the great thing is there are others to chose from that are very reasonable.

I am so happy, thanks again!

Oh WOW you guys! I looked up the street view of the Toy Story parking lot and then just followed along South Harbour - there are soooo many hotels that would be great for my kids.

This was such a fabulous suggestion and thanks to all of you who have posts ideas.

I have some Hyatt points I may just give them and let them pay the balance for the Hyatt Place which looks like it might not be more than 2 blocks tops from the Toy Story lot but the great thing is there are others to chose from that are very reasonable.

I am so happy, thanks again!

Just make sure you remember that blocks in that part of Anaheim are not the same as blocks everywhere. They are quite long. If I had kids walking back from the toy story lot At night I would not go more than about one actual block. It might be a good idea to use MapQuest online to see how many minutes of walking it is from where the buses load to the main part of each hotel you’re considering.

Just make sure you remember that blocks in that part of Anaheim are not the same as blocks everywhere. They are quite long. If I had kids walking back from the toy story lot At night I would not go more than about one actual block. It might be a good idea to use MapQuest online to see how many minutes of walking it is from where the buses load to the main part of each hotel you’re considering.

Excellent, thank you!

They are both University students who walk quite a bit on a daily basis to get across their respective campuses to class BUT I know at the end of a long park day when your feet ache like you never thought they could they wont want to walk more than absolutely necessary!

The MapQuest suggestion is a good one, I use it quite a bit here in Toronto

Edited to add-The Cortona hotel and the Hyatt Place are both showing approx a 6 minute walk from the ENTRANCE of the Toy Story lot. Does any one know how far inside the lot from the entrance the actual shuttle stop is?

Also, taking the parking shuttle if you did not actually park in the lot isnt frowned upon, is it?
My kids are kind of stick to the rules type of people (dont ask me how we raised them like that, my hubby and I were wild teenagers!)

Last edited:
If they are willing to stay a little further out (but with the parks within walking distance) then I'd consider looking at the Staybridge Suites on S Manchester Av.

My wife and I often walk to and from the parks and have never felt unsafe at any time. Sure, there are a few members of the homeless community around but they are no bother to visitors.

I'm of the impression that the local Anaheim police do keep a bit of a closer eye on the Disney area, probably more so than other parts of the city due to the larger amount of visitors who are within the area to visit the parks and other locations. Although in saying that we haven't often seen them out on patrol but, despite that, do feel generally safe.

The Staybridge does share their location with the Holiday Inn and there's access to the ART transit system too if required. Hallways inside the Staybridge are also internal and well lit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @felice I am compiling a list for them and then we will all sit down and figure out which is best for them. Putting Staybridge Suites on the list!

In case you've just been looking online, I would call places instead--many Harbor hotels keep a few rooms "hidden" from their website to be able to use for actual calls to the hotel's direct line.

I haven't seen Hojo rates in the $150 range in a couple of years, even using the DIS discount and booking well in advance. What am I doing wrong?

To be fair, we travel mainly in May, October and December so that may play a role in the rates we get. We tend to average about $175 a night when staying there. But in the past year I've paid $175 - $240 a night.

Excellent, thank you!

They are both University students who walk quite a bit on a daily basis to get across their respective campuses to class BUT I know at the end of a long park day when your feet ache like you never thought they could they wont want to walk more than absolutely necessary!

The MapQuest suggestion is a good one, I use it quite a bit here in Toronto

Edited to add-The Cortona hotel and the Hyatt Place are both showing approx a 6 minute walk from the ENTRANCE of the Toy Story lot. Does any one know how far inside the lot from the entrance the actual shuttle stop is?

Also, taking the parking shuttle if you did not actually park in the lot isnt frowned upon, is it?
My kids are kind of stick to the rules type of people (dont ask me how we raised them like that, my hubby and I were wild teenagers!)

Haha, I wasn't worried that they couldn't -handle- the walk, just if you were the type to worry about them walking a lot late at night. :) The pick up is pretty much in the center of the lot. If you look at it on Google Maps you can see it (the circle in the middle.) And no one's ever reported any issues walking in and taking the bus and it's definitely no issue to ride it back from the parks and walk out.

BFF and I gave the Alpine Inn a try this time and were very satisfied with it. It looks kind of old and dinky (in a delightful sort of way) but the rooms were nice and clean and we always felt very safe. Will say though, if you have loud folks above you, you WILL hear them and omg the water pressure is a joke. We spend very little time in the room, though, so it worked for us! It's very walkable as well! Have to say though, Desert Inn is our favorite!

I just stayed at the Candy Cane inn which is literally right behind CarsLand in DCA. It was nice, has decent breakfast and I felt safe there. It's also only a 10 minute walk to the entrance of the parks. They have a shuttle also, but we didn't use it.

I just stayed at the Candy Cane inn which is literally right behind CarsLand in DCA. It was nice, has decent breakfast and I felt safe there. It's also only a 10 minute walk to the entrance of the parks. They have a shuttle also, but we didn't use it.

I like the idea of a shuttle as an option if they wanted to use it, thank you!

We love the CCI and if the OP can get a deal there withing her price range, grab it! CCI fits all the criteria and also offers a variety of discounts, so it never hurts to ask about that. But at that time of year, I'm not sure the OP will find something at the CCI with such a low rate.

Oh my goodness, all this info is amazing!

I would never have know about staying near the "TS" lot and then taking the tram, that is such an awesome tip.

Also the ART route info too, I had never considered that. I guess because we have always had a rental car I had not even had it on my radar.

Just to clarify: the TS lot has the free shuttle buses and the M&F parking structure has the free trams. No problems using either if you didn't park in the lot or the structure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter