Help!! POC closed in May .. delay trip ??

DaveO

Mouseketeer
WDW Vet planning trip to DL in May (to avoid crowds). But now POC will be in rehab until mid June. It was something I really wanted to experience, my DS5 and DS3 love the ride. Also wanted to eat at the Blue Bayou. I will not be getting back to DL probably for many years after this trip. Would you guys recommend me delaying my trip until June ... will the crowds be that bad. I plan on spending 4 - 5 days at the DLH so I can take it easy while touring. Is the DL POC worth going in June instead of May. I will also be going to San Diego so the plus side will be the water will be warmer !!

Thanks for any advice !!

Dave O.

Is this your first trip to DL? If it is, I know that I would not want anyone to miss POC. To me, it is the best version of POC in the world...and I love the Blue Bayou too. We always make a point to eat there whenever we are there now. It's becoming a new tradition! :teeth:

I really do not want to give any advice on what someone should do, because everyone's opinions are so different, and you could be totally different than me, but if it were my first and only trip for awhile, I would make sure it was scheduled in....please take that with a grain of salt!
Another plus side that I am starting to ponder on (we ALWAYS have gone in value/slower season), is that more shows are operating, hours are longer, and more rides will be operational. I have never debated on going to DL at more crowded times in the past, but after planning this trip coming up in September, I am starting to speculate....... :goodvibes

DaveO said:
WDW Vet planning trip to DL in May (to avoid crowds). But now POC will be in rehab until mid June. It was something I really wanted to experience, my DS5 and DS3 love the ride. Also wanted to eat at the Blue Bayou. I will not be getting back to DL probably for many years after this trip. Would you guys recommend me delaying my trip until June ... will the crowds be that bad. I plan on spending 4 - 5 days at the DLH so I can take it easy while touring. Is the DL POC worth going in June instead of May. I will also be going to San Diego so the plus side will be the water will be warmer !!
Apologies for mentioning another board here, but in MousePlanet's DLR update this week they are going on the record with a March 6-June 16 POTC refurb. POTC is my favorite ride, so I am biased, but if you can delay your trip, you should. If you haven't heard, part of the refurb has to do with adding Jack Sparrow and Barbossa to the ride. DL wants to re-open it when they release the POTC 2 movie, scheduled for a July 7th 2006 release.

Another benefit of delaying your trip is the opening of the night time version of Space Mtn, called Rock It Mtn. Rumors are that this is scheduled for June, 2006.

The final benefit you already mentioned...the warmer water in San Diego.

To me this ride is worth juggling a schedule to ride! It is so superior to the WDW version and Blue Bayou is a lot of fun. Low crowds vs. open attractions is a tough trade off. We are going next week and were so bummed that the Electrical Parade and the Snow White show are down until next summer. Two more reasons you might want to wait. Also Remember... will be showing nightly if you wait to go in June. If you are a WDW vet you know the drill and can still get a lot done even with the crowds. I second the notion of waiting for warmer water in San Diego, that water is cold enough in the later summer (but we are used to swimming in the Gulf of Mexico)! Good luck with your decision.

Amy&Dan said:
To me this ride is worth juggling a schedule to ride! It is so superior to the WDW version and Blue Bayou is a lot of fun. Low crowds vs. open attractions is a tough trade off. We are going next week and were so bummed that the Electrical Parade and the Snow White show are down until next summer. Two more reasons you might want to wait. Also Remember... will be showing nightly if you wait to go in June. If you are a WDW vet you know the drill and can still get a lot done even with the crowds. I second the notion of waiting for warmer water in San Diego, that water is cold enough in the later summer (but we are used to swimming in the Gulf of Mexico)! Good luck with your decision.
Have fun on your CO to CA trip! We'll be in Denver this weekend taking in a Rockies game and Elitches.

HydroGuy said:
Have fun on your CO to CA trip! We'll be in Denver this weekend taking in a Rockies game and Elitches.

Thanks, we thought we were going to have to cancel, we had a family emergency with my elderly parents but thankfully seem to have worked it all out. Enjoy the Rockies and Elitches, hopefully it will cool off this weekend, today was awful.

June honestly is not terrible. The DL Hotels do not even raise there rates to there highest rates until July.

I say delay the trip. We spend a lot of time every June due to my daughters birthday and have not really run into problems.

I have been to WDW, and to Disneyland many times. The California version is soooooo much better than the Florida version. I don't know if I would postpone a vacation for it, though. I would probably just go, and then go again as soon as the ride was open again and it was the off season for shorter lines...

The POTC ride at DL is so much better than WDW MK. I remember being so disapointed at MK the first time we rode it and thinking-half the ride is gone! June is still a good time to go. Be careful though, with the dates because if you are close to the opening date and then that doesnt happen you could miss it anyway. You might want to plan for later June, but I would stay away from dates surrounding July 4th, which could include some of the last days of June. We actually enjoy going in mid to late July because it is warm, and everything is open. Since you're staying at the resort, you will always be there so you're time will be well spent! I don't know if price is an issue, but the Grand Californian Hotel is actually the nicest hotel to stay at. It is closer to the parks and extremely convenient-especially for CA Adventure, as you walk right out of the hotel and into the middle of the park. Whatever you decide, you will have fun! There are plenty of other good rides! Also, just a sidenote, we noticed at WDW that even the rides that were the same there, were not exactly the same-so you will have many rides to enjoy again, slightly different!

HydroGuy said:
Apologies for mentioning another board here, but in MousePlanet's DLR update this week they are going on the record with a March 6-June 16 POTC refurb. POTC is my favorite ride, so I am biased, but if you can delay your trip, you should. If you haven't heard, part of the refurb has to do with adding Jack Sparrow and Barbossa to the ride. DL wants to re-open it when they release the POTC 2 movie, scheduled for a July 7th 2006 release.

Another benefit of delaying your trip is the opening of the night time version of Space Mtn, called Rock It Mtn. Rumors are that this is scheduled for June, 2006.

The final benefit you already mentioned...the warmer water in San Diego.

Rats! I'll be there March 10-12!!! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter