Help: Resort Hop on travel day

Tinker B

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I am new to DISboards :) My family (with DH, DD9, DS6) is excited to start our 2-week countdown to our WDW trip.

Our plane is scheduled to land at 7am and we are taking ME to ASM. I don't expect we can do early check-in so I want to see what we can do on our travel day. We want to visit Disney Springs and maybe Boardwalk. I am intrigued by the idea of resort hopping. I also want to see if we can squeeze in some pool time back at ASM.

I am looking for suggestions on how we could spend our travel day (e.g. itinerary) - but still get to relax in the evening so we get enough rest to concur the park the following day. Thanks!

Last edited:
We usually hit MK for a few hours on our arrival day. We don't try to do too much, ride a few rides, take some pictures and just walk around main street. If you don't want to go to a park, I would relax at the pool and then maybe get dinner at Disney Springs and walk around a bit. In my opinion, there's not that much to do on the Boardwalk.

Our plane is scheduled to land at 7am and we are taking ME to ASM. I don't expect we can do early check-in so I want to see what we can do on our travel day. We want to visit Disney Springs and maybe Boardwalk. I am intrigued by the idea of resort hopping. I also want to see if we can squeeze in some pool time back at ASM.

You'll be able to do the check in process, but the likelihood of a room is low. That said, we got to Bay Lake at around 9 last week Thursday, checked in with them (I had done online checkin but we hadn't gotten a text and I wanted to just let them know we were there) and we got a room ready text at 9:51am.

Is your flight leaving early that morning and it's short, or is it a cross country flight like I did (landed just after 7am)? If the latter you guys might be beyond exhausted (like I was). I actually slept more than I've ever slept on a flight in recent years, but that means 20 minutes out of every hour or so IF that. The drunk guy with a cold behind me kept waking me up. Anyway, exhaustion might temper your plans.

Is your flight leaving early that morning and it's short, or is it a cross country flight like I did (landed just after 7am)? If the latter you guys might be beyond exhausted (like I was). I actually slept more than I've ever slept on a flight in recent years, but that means 20 minutes out of every hour or so IF that. The drunk guy with a cold behind me kept waking me up. Anyway, exhaustion might temper your plans.

Good idea, @bumbershoot - will keep in mind about exhaustion (and possible drunks/sickies on the plane) after a long flight as we are travelling from the west coast.

Last edited:
:welcome: to DISboards, @Tinker B!

We also travel from the West Coast and red-eyes combined with not being able to get into your room right away makes for a long morning. Be sure to choose the earliest arrival time when completing your online check-in.

I would choose Disney Springs for a brunch and shopping and then head back to ASM if/when your room is ready. That's the easiest in terms of transportation. You can always check out all the All-Stars' theming and choose one of the food courts for dinner.

We usually arrive early and make arrival day a pool day. Just pack a small carry on with enough pool clothes/supplies to change at the resort. Then we're all nice and tired and sleep like babies that night!

But hitting a park or Disney Springs is also totally doable. Just hop on the bus!

One thing about "Resort Hopping" - Disney bus transportation does not make it particularly easy to resort hop. There is no resort to resort bus service, only bus to park/springs, so you have to "work it" to move around by transferring at a park.

Resort hopping is a bit easier with the monorail resorts... take the bus to MK and then monorail or boat around to CR, Poly, & GF. To get home you'd have to catch the bus again at MK.

Sorry if that's obvious, just making sure.

Have fun!

I'll piggy-back on what GADisneyDad14 said. You definitely have a few options. If adding a park day is of any interest and wouldn't break the bank, you may want to consider heading to MK to simply see the castle, ride a few rides, get the feeling of, we're in WDW! You could also simply take the bus to MK and then ride the monorail around to CR, Poly and GF. You are landing so early, perhaps even consider getting breakfast at one of the resorts. DS is also easy to get to, but doesn't open until 10 am. I would definitely pack a carry-on with bathing suits and a change of clothes for everyone so you have those things available when you are ready to swim. If your room is ready early, I would probably relax and nap and then do MK, the monorail loop or DS later in the day once everyone is rested.

Another for adding a park day. Although I'd say hit a park with tiered fastpasses, but at least use that day for the fastpasses:)

I totally disagree about the Boardwalk, it is my favorite area not in Epcot of WDW - at night, its just beautiful. Grab the kids an ice cream, grab yourself a cocktail and just relax.

Have a wonderful time!

We also travel from the West Coast and red-eyes combined with not being able to get into your room right away makes for a long morning. Be sure to choose the earliest arrival time when completing your online check-in..

Thank you for your warm welcome @hiroMYhero - I can't believe how addictive DISboards is... it's so great to get so many ideas on how to spend my arrival day. I love the idea to select an early check-in time and will definitely do that!

One thing about "Resort Hopping" - Disney bus transportation does not make it particularly easy to resort hop. There is no resort to resort bus service, only bus to park/springs, so you have to "work it" to move around by transferring at a park. Resort hopping is a bit easier with the monorail resorts... take the bus to MK and then monorail or boat around to CR, Poly, & GF. To get home you'd have to catch the bus again at MK.

Love it ~ thanks @GADisneyDad14 - I just checked the bus and monorail routes to see how long it'll take me to visit DS and CR/Poly & GF. It's do-able and I would still have time for the pool! Can't wait...

If your room is ready early, I would probably relax and nap and then do MK, the monorail loop or DS later in the day once everyone is rested.

It would be awesome if we could get into our room earlier. I read somewhere that the resort would be able to notify via mobile when our room is ready - is that true?

It would be awesome if we could get into our room earlier. I read somewhere that the resort would be able to notify via mobile when our room is ready - is that true?

Yes Ma'am. We actually got a text BEFORE we left for the airport for our December trip. Of all the times to have a 5:30 pm flight out of Austin.:rolleyes1 We didn't arrive at All Star Music until after 10 PM but the text that our room was available arrived at 10:00 AM! With your early arrival, I'd take the bus to the MK and ride the monorail to resort hop from there. You can even make take the boat to WL from CR to add an extra resort. ::yes:: Have lunch at one of the resorts or bus to Disney Springs. There is SO much to see/do there you could spend the entire day at DS. I'm sure the "exhaustion" will hit early afternoon though and your room should be ready by then. Take a short nap, explore your resort, have dinner and hit the sack for a good nights rest. ENJOY YOUR TRIP! :tink:

Honestly I would just go to a park. I always think it sounds reasonable to NOT go to a park on arrival day but then once you get there it is hard to NOT be excited about being at WDW which makes me want to hit a park! Especially with how early you are arriving, you can basically do a full day at a park. We also typically have a really early flight so we plan an earlier ADR and don't make plans for any of the night time shows/fireworks. That way we can head back to the resort and get to bed at a reasonable hour so we will be well rested for the next day. We do typically take a more leisurely approach to whatever park we choose to go to. Most of the time we go to Epcot. We do get Fastpasses so we can see a few attractions but we don't go plowing through the park trying to hit as many attractions as possible, instead we just kind of wander around and enjoy the fact that we have arrived for our vacation.

Hi everyone! I am new to DISboards :) My family (with DH, DD9, DS6) is excited to start our 2-week countdown to our WDW trip.

I am looking for suggestions on how we could spend our travel day (e.g. itinerary) - but still get to relax in the evening so we get enough rest to concur the park the following day. Thanks!

First of all :welcome:
As for arrival day, put me in the camp of adding another park day. For us it would be MK to walk down Main Street, see the castle, eat some corndog nuggets and fries as Casey's and then probably hit our favorites - Splash, Big Thunder, Buzz, Carousel of Progress and People Mover. When the text came that our room was ready we'd hop a bus and head back for unpacking and swimming. We'd have a fairly early dinner (DS14 and DS6 would get nuggets and fries from Mcdonalds (we always drive so we have a car), DW would get vegetable soup from the food court (she loves it so much she has asked me to leave OKW and go to the All Stars to get it) and I would probably grab a slice of pizza. Then it would be an early night to get ready for the next day.

Make sure you pack a little travel bag with pool attire because you won't have access to your checked luggage until later in the afternoon. My guess is the pool should have towels for you to use. If it were me and I didn't have any parks planned for our first day i would consider arriving at 7am - so that might put your arrival time at the resort for around 8:30. With it being that early you will probably all be hungry so maybe a QS breakfast at your resort. Too early for pool time so after breakfast take the bus to disney springs hit some shops, lunch and then back to your resort for afternoon pool time until the room is ready.

Depending upon how much park time you already have planned - arriving that early I would want to hit the one of the parks. But for me it is almost too much of a tease to be there and not go to a park. Your kids will probably want to hit the parks too. My guess is if you asked them pool or park? -- they will want the park. You could always still plan on doing the park until 3:00 - then back to your resort for pool and relaxing for the next day.

On our arrival day if our flight lands early (before noon) we usually just chill.

If the room is ready even better.

But to get a taste of Disney we hop on a bus to MK. Get on the monorail to TTC -> EPCOT round trip. Then we hit the resorts on the monorail loop. Often we plan a dinner at Chef Mickey's which I know is not popular for a lot of folks on the boards but we LOVE IT and find it a great way to officially start our vacation.

Back in the room early-ish and head out first thing the next morning.

:welcome: to DISboards, @Tinker B!

We also travel from the West Coast and red-eyes combined with not being able to get into your room right away makes for a long morning. Be sure to choose the earliest arrival time when completing your online check-in.

I would choose Disney Springs for a brunch and shopping and then head back to ASM if/when your room is ready. That's the easiest in terms of transportation. You can always check out all the All-Stars' theming and choose one of the food courts for dinner.
This is what I would choose- it's fun, and you get swimming relaxing time in before your big day starts

We always do a park on arrival day for a few hours. You'll have the entire day and honestly, I would have a hard time not going to a park with that much time on my hands. If you're concerned about fatigue (very possible given you're on a red eye), then lounging by the pool may not be too bad of an idea and add in a nice lunch or dinner at Disney Springs would be a relaxing way to start your trip.

I also regularly red-eye from the left coast and land around 6am. I used to have really good luck getting into my room early, but the past few trips not so much so I now assume it is not going to be ready. I do my room check-in (I've never had good luck with on-line and always check-in at the desk) and then head out to a park, figuring I'll be there until mid-day/lunch. Which park really just depends on how the rest of the trip is mapped out, but plans are usually pretty low key. When I get my room text I go back for a good long nap/refresh then head out again in the evening. Trip before last my room at POP wasn't ready until 5pm! By then I was dead tired and barely had enough time to shower and run back over to EPCOT for my dinner ADR at Garden Grille, where I had to wait almost 45 minutes to get seated... by then I was big time Hangry, but the greeter/seater did a really nice job calming me down and by the time my guy Chip came by, I was human again.

Welcome to DIS... hope you have a magical trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter