• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help, tore knee cartilage 2 1/2 weeks to go

sally howard

tigger makes me smile
I am mobile but it hurts to walk too much. I think standing in the long lines may do me in. I will need surgery when I get back. Dear Doc said he would write a letter if Disney will give me some sort of pass. Epcot will be the one I may have to rent an EVC. But then again it hurts now and I have just been to Walmart. A lot smaller than MK.
I need advice.
TIA

sally howard said:
I am mobile but it hurts to walk too much. I think standing in the long lines may do me in. I will need surgery when I get back. Dear Doc said he would write a letter if Disney will give me some sort of pass. Epcot will be the one I may have to rent an EVC. But then again it hurts now and I have just been to Walmart. A lot smaller than MK.
I need advice.
TIA
Your doctor is not correct.
They don't have a pass that allows you to not stand in line.
What they do have is called a Guest Assistance Card (which we abbreviate as GAC to avoid typing so much). Here's a summary of information about GACs:
Go to Guest Services in any of the parks and talk to the CM (Cast Member) there about your problems and needs. The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs. The GAC is not given based on diagnosis at all (for example, there is not a "list" of appropriate diagnosis for a GAC); the GAC is given based on needs and the accomidations that meet those needs.

You don't need a doctor's letter and chances are that the CMs will not want to see it if you have one. You just need to be able to explain your needs.

The needs that you are describing are what WDW calls "Endurance or Stamina" needs and their official suggestion for those kinds of needs is to suggest a wheelchair or ECV (power scooter). That does make sense because the distance and time you spend going between attractions is much more than the distance and time you will be spending in line. Also, even if you get a GAC, it won't cut the distance in line. Some GACs allow for a place to sit while you wait, but not all attractions have anywhere to sit and if they do, you are not guaranteed a spot to sit.

People with a wheelchair or ECV don't need a GAC to use them in line.

More info about GACs
  • The GAC is usually given for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and is valid at all the parks for your length of stay (you don't need to get a new one at each theme park).
  • the GAC is not meant to be a pass that gives immediate access. In fact, about 6 years ago, they renamed it to Card because when it was called a Pass, people thought it mean front of the line access. It says right on the card that it will not shorten or eliminate waits in line.
  • it is meant as a tool to tell the CMs what the person's needs are so that they can provide appropriate accomidation for the person it was issued to. Some examples of accomidations might be a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun (for those times when the line is in the sun for a prolonged period of time).
  • because what is stamped on the GAC is based on needs, not all GACs say the same thing.
  • think of the GAC like an insurance card, not necessarily needed or used all the time, but there for when you need it.
  • even on the same attraction, the GAC is not always handled the same each time. Exactly what happens depends on how busy it is, how many other people with special needs are there at the time and staffing. Some times you may be sent thru the regular standby line, occassionally the fastpass line; sometimes the person with the GAC and a member of their party will be given an alternate place to wait while the rest of the party goes thru the standby line - and then meet up with them when they get to the front. Sometimes you might be given a slip and told you can come back at the time written on the slip (usually equal to the standby time); very occassionally, you might be taken right in. It depends on what they call "attraction considerations" (which is basically the things I listed in the second sentence of this point).
  • Fastpass is a good way to avoid waits in line. You don't have to be present to get a fastpass, you can send one member of your party ahead with all the park passes to get fastpasses. When you report back to the ride at your fastpass return time, your wait will be 15 minutes or less.
  • I'd strongly suggest she consider renting a motorized scooter (also called ecv). The distance and time spent going around the parks is much greater than the time and distance spent in line. With an ecv, you will always have a place to sit and can conserve energy for fun, instead of just getting around. There is information about ecvs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board. Most lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible.

Everything Sue said. Especially the part about renting the ECV--do it!~
I suffered a knee injury in late July, in which the cartilage was okay but the interior of the knee capsule was badly bruised.No surgery needed, but lots of PT. pirate: Not as injured as yours is, but plenty messed up.

I am still in PT 8 wks later, still have some knee pain and all I'm doing is regular, daily stuff. :guilty: If you want to actually enjoy Disney, rather than simply surviving Disney, get the ECV! :wizard:

I'd suggest renting the ecv from an offsite rental place for your entire trip. You would be walking miles every day in the park.

The ecv will take you where ever you want, both in the parks and outside the parks (resorts, to and from bus stops to the parks, or your resort room).
Offsite ecv will be well worth it at the end of the night and your knee hurts like heck. Just be sure to follow signs, some rides you take a detour when it gets close to boarding a ride, sometimes you follow the same route as people walking.

If you need ice. Stop by the first aide station. I rent an ecv and sometimes i've walked to much and didn't bring my ice pack so head there if need be.

They have those old fashion ice packs/hot water bag holders you can buy at a large grocery store, a place like target or the like. . The ones i have are white with blue stars on them. If you like to ice a lot, just ask for
cups of ice at the counter service places and fill up the bag. Much less messy than ziplock bags.

If you rent a fridge or if you are staying at a mod or delux you have a fridge in your room.
I do the ice massage in the mornings and at night to combat swelling, soreness. Basically you take a dixie cup (foam or paper). At disney we fill it with cold water and ice. Takes about 24-48 hours to freeze in the little freezer section. Then use that. If you don't know how to do an ice massage ask you doc or pt for instruction. You don't want to accidentily freeze your skin and cause more damage.

If you have some type of nsaid, or pain pills, bring them with you into the park. They won't do you any good when you hit some pain and they are sitting next to your bed. Bring fanny pack, back pack or something else to keep it in, and put them in a ziplock to avoid them getting wet or coming out of the bottle for an unknown reason. I try to avoid the pain/nsaid meds due to stomach problems, so thats why i like the ice. But, i've heard the people next to me complain they forgot to take their xxx when they left the room, and their knee hurt like heck.

Hope you have a fun trip!

Connie

Thanks for the encouragement.
I decided to help out I would just book another day at Disney. Luckly it worked out. Now with 6 full days plus MNSSHP we should be able to go at a slower pace.

Oh no. MRI showed arthritis. I am under 40 with 3 kids under 10. I was fitted for a brace. I hope to pick it up tomorrow. We leave on Saturday.

Even if you don't rent an ecv, you can usually get a wheelchair from your resort for the length of stay, that way you don't have the long walk from the park to the bus. I had to get a chair for my dd when she got ill while we were there, there was no other way for her to get through the parks, she was just too exhausted. Have fun!

If you haven't rented an ecv or a wheel chair. I still recomend bringing the phone #'s of some of the scooter or wheel chair rental places along in case you start having lots of pain while being on the leg full time.
Since you haven't ever worn the brace, it may help, or it might not. Have you tried any braces from the local drug store or large super grocery stores. Finding a brace that fits you just right is sometimes a mystery in itself.

The docs can say you just have arthritus, but that doesn't make your knee hurt any lesss. FYI, not all injuries and problems (tears, and such) show up on an mri, some do, but not all.
Plus, was this a reg doc or an orthopedic sergeon?

I'm hoping your brace helps you out a lot and you heal fast, but you still may not be able to walk a whole day at disney.

Connie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter