• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with a brain freeze -- which side is terminal on when ship sails??

Gina

Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
I totally cannot remember... I want to say Port, trying to see it in my head, but I guess I haven't had enough coffee yet. :) Can someone please refresh my memory?

-gina-

I'm 99.9% certain that the starboard (right) side of the ship is to the terminal when the ship is in Port Canaveral. The port has a large turning basin to the west of the DCL terminal. The ship goes past the terminal in the channel, turns around, and then comes along side the pier, facing east (southeast really). When the ship sails, it just pulls away and heads out the channel to sea. There's a picture of the ship in front of the terminal at night in the DCL brouchure, it's a large two-page picture.

This link to Dave's site also shows what my recollection is:

http://www.dcltribute.com/directions/terminal_map.htm

I don't believe that is correct, at least as far as our cruise. In fact, I'm positive now that I think about it. When we came out of Lumiere's and headed toward the bow of the ship, we had to turn to the right to get off the ship. This was also the way I remembered it when we embarked. I'm pretty sure that the starboard side of the ship is the one toward the terminal.

Im sorry
I thought I saw a pic of the ship at the terminal on either Dave's or Barb's site
If its starboard then we can see our verandah from Port Canaveral!

When the Magic is docked at Port Canaveral the forward of the ship faces out of the channel so that the ship just pulls out and does not have to turn around. This would mean that the terminl building would be on the starboard side of the ship.

Just remember:

When you are facing the front of the ship, PORT is always to your LEFT (4 letters in PORT, 4 letters in LEFT) while starboard is to your right.

It's easy to get confused also because the ship is in a different position depending on the port. For example, the pier/dock is starboard in Key West, but the pier/dock at Castaway Cay can be on either the starboard or port depending on whether the ship backs in or pulls in forward. I believe the dock/pier was on the port side of the ship in Cozumel on our cruise also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter