Help with craft show pricing

DVCBELLE

Princess at Heart
I am signing up for a local craft fair. I recently bought the Yudu screenprinter and thought that I would make matching t-shirts for Girls and their American girl dolls.

I am still working on my costs but am wondering what budget minded moms and grandmas would pay for this. I would like to know - what price would you buy them without hesitation thinking you got a steal and then at what price would you think that's worth it and then what price would you not even consider buying. I know that sounds crazy - but I really want to price so that almost everyone who sees them wants them and will buy them.

Then my next question is - what would like to see on them? Flowers, guitars, minnie mouse, peace sign, hearts?

Thanks!!! This would help me make some extra needed cash!

You have to figure your costs. How much is the shirt and ink for each shirt?

For me, it would depend on what the design was that is on the shirt. I don't think that I'd pay more than $8.00 if I really liked thought it was cute. (child's size. I never buy clothes for myself or older DDs at craft shows)

Be sure that you're not infringing on any copyrights. We've done a few shows the last couple of years. I've seen the organizer at some shows go around tables and make them pull anything that is an infringement. (Disney is a big one that usually gets pulled)

My DH was just getting out his supplies this weekend for the upcoming shows here. He makes fishing lures with beer bottle caps as well as a few other themed lures. It costs about $2.00 each to make (not including the beer of course. :lmao:) and we had no problem selling them for $5.00 each or 2 for $8.00. This year we're adding some Santa and snowman ornaments made out of shotgun shells to our table as well as marshmallow guns for kids. The ornaments cost less than 10 cents each to make because DH saves the shells when they go skeet shooting. The marshmallow guns cost about $1.50 + the cost of the spray paint. We're thinking of selling the ornaments for $4.00 and the guns for $5.00.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but would love to have some comments on our prices as well.

$10 for a matching set of tees would be a steal in my opinion.
$15 - $20 for a set would be great.
More than that and I would move on.

Designs: Hmmmm, I would be looking for cute not necc. something specific. I think local school logos would be a hit!

$10 for a matching set of tees would be a steal in my opinion.
$15 - $20 for a set would be great.
More than that and I would move on.

:thumbsup2 I agree with that. Designs- focus on holidays maybe? Like halloween tees, Christmas tees ect. Or maybe some interest focused ones- like soccer balls, horses, ect.

Basically you need to figure your cost and price somewhere between double and triple that.

Liz

You have to figure your costs. How much is the shirt and ink for each shirt?

For me, it would depend on what the design was that is on the shirt. I don't think that I'd pay more than $8.00 if I really liked thought it was cute. (child's size. I never buy clothes for myself or older DDs at craft shows)

Be sure that you're not infringing on any copyrights. We've done a few shows the last couple of years. I've seen the organizer at some shows go around tables and make them pull anything that is an infringement. (Disney is a big one that usually gets pulled)

My DH was just getting out his supplies this weekend for the upcoming shows here. He makes fishing lures with beer bottle caps as well as a few other themed lures. It costs about $2.00 each to make (not including the beer of course. :lmao:) and we had no problem selling them for $5.00 each or 2 for $8.00. This year we're adding some Santa and snowman ornaments made out of shotgun shells to our table as well as marshmallow guns for kids. The ornaments cost less than 10 cents each to make because DH saves the shells when they go skeet shooting. The marshmallow guns cost about $1.50 + the cost of the spray paint. We're thinking of selling the ornaments for $4.00 and the guns for $5.00.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but would love to have some comments on our prices as well.

I would LOVE to see pictures of these!!!! Would you please post them?

Basically you need to figure your cost and price somewhere between double and triple that.

Liz

I think this is an interesting rule of thumb to see if a product can be profitable but I disagree that pricing is based on what a product costs to make. I think the OP is on the right track to ask people what they would pay. The price of an item needs to reflect the value not the cost.

If it costs the OP $10 to make the t-shirt and person B $5 to make the exact same shirt is OP's worth more to the buyer. No. Now if OP's costs more to make because she uses higher quality t-shirts and the difference is noticable to the consumer than it would be worth more. If OP's cost more because she bought white t-shirts retail and the second person purchased the same brand in bulk wholesale that would not make the OP's worth more to me.

I just paid $29 for matching doll and girl nightgowns at a sale - I thought that was high but that is my little girl's dream.

I would prob pay $15 on the high end for tshirt sets. They would have to be pretty cute, though.

Another idea for you would be to advertise for parties. You could charge $15 a kid for bdays or scout troops, and they would help you design a shirt they would make and keep. I used to do something similar, and made a ton.

Here is the Yudu board, if you don't already know abt it. http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tt.aspx?forumid=162 I don't have one, but I am a Cricut fiend;)

I think this is an interesting rule of thumb to see if a product can be profitable but I disagree that pricing is based on what a product costs to make. I think the OP is on the right track to ask people what they would pay.

I agree. A lot of pricing (beyond covering costs) has to do with perception.

Last edited:
I agree. I've sold my handmade pottery at different fairs both CA and NY. I can charge a bit more in NY. But, it also depends on whether the fair is really a crafts fair, where poeple are really discerning about crafts as opposed to a street fair or church bazaar, in which people go mostly with their family for entertainment and to EAT. Then you get flea markets that are barely a step up from garage sales. :eek: The same people just will not pay the same amount at street fairs & flea markets as they would for the exact same item at a high end craft fair. A lot of pricing (beyond covering costs) has to do with perception.

That is true - however I will not change my prices due to where I am - I might not go back to a fair because the sales are not good but my price is my price.

Liz

My friends that do knitting take their cost multipy by two and add a $1. If it's something more involved or special they add more. I think $10 to $12 would be a good price.

I
I am still working on my costs but am wondering what budget minded moms and grandmas would pay for this. !

I think most people whose little girls have AG dolls aren't "budget minded". Well, my friend is, but the only reason her girls have AG dolls is because their grandmother insisted they have them and she bought them. I could maybe see my friend buying the matching shirts as a gift, or having the girls buy it themselves.

So.... I guess I'm saying, you could charge much more than what the "budget minded" would consider spending. But if you want it affordable for the girls, then keep the price lower.

You asked for numbers so I'll say that I'm quite budget minded. My girls aren't really into dolls- they kind of ebb and flow with their interest. They would have to buy their own accessories if they were lucky enough to get an AG doll. So I'd say no more than $5 for each shirt- maybe $10 for the girl shirt if it was a very cute, original design.

But in my area, moms and grandmas would likely pay double or triple that if it had an AG label. But there are a lot of privileged girls around here.

Thanks for all the input - seems like I am on track with my pricing. I am hoping that my cost will be around $5 - and then I will probably charge $15 for the set.

I know I can't sell them here on the DIS but I will post pictures once I get it all figured out!

I would LOVE to see pictures of these!!!! Would you please post them?

I don't want to break any of the rules but I'm going to try and post some pictures. If this is not allowed, please let me know.

This is a picture of the marshmallow gun. DH will be spray painting them with a metallic type paint. You put a small marshmallow in the top part and blow. You'd be surprised how far and how fast they fly!

100_2552.jpg

This is close-up of the beer bottle cap fishing lures.

100_2544.jpg

This just some of the many varieties that we have to choose from.

We also display them with the barbs on the hooks cut off and a ribbon tied at the top to use as Christmas ornaments.

100_2539.jpg

This is one of the Shotgun Santa ornaments that we make. You can't see it in this picture but there is a thin gold tread at the top to hang it from. There is also a small bell attached to the thread. We also make them with a stocking hat on top or evergreen garland instead of the feathers. Some of the shells are green and some are red.

100_2549.jpg

I don't have any of the sports themed lures ready for pictures. They are set up completely different than these. We find pre-printed sport logos (this way it's not a copyright infringement) and add it to the "blade" on the lure. DH is an avid fisherman so he insists that not only do they look cool but that they actually work! We order all of the lure parts from an on-line store and he assembles them at home.

I'm going to move this to the Arts & Crafts subforum of the Creative Community Forum. I really don't have a problem with any of our members posting pictures of their crafting talents but the Budget Board isn't the forum for it. You'll get better input from the Creative Community gals.

You learn something new everyday!! I didn't even know there was a crafts board! I posted on the budget board to get an idea on pricing! But the craft board is a great spot to post this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter