Help with optimizing short trip- novice here!

Zuriamira

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 4, DH, DD will be 8 months and other DD turning 7 on March 24. We’re staying st PORS 3/23-3/27 park days 3/24,25,26. Reluctantly skipping HS this trip. I know, I know... DH and I just can’t bear to skip Epcot- plus flower and garden... It will be the first trip for our kids, first for us in 20+ years. Really hoping for some input/advice!

Day1-arrival. Check in at RS, Boat over to POFQ Hang at POFQ pool, get beignets and lunch there. Boat back to RS to get dressed and rest before taking the boat to Disney Springs for reservation at the boathouse 6:30.

Day 2- epcot -7 year old daughter’s birthday!! PPO 8:20 akershus, hoping to be done there by 9:30 and in a reasonably quick line for FEA ( is this likely?- considering dropping PPO if I could find a later time (10:30) and just RDing FEA. Don’t want to rush my little princess at akershus. We have the baby so plan to use FP+ and rider swap on soaring and test track. Wander flower and garden/ws then early dinner at Via Napoli. Then back to PORS for pool/rest/early evening.
OR... really wanted to do FEA dessert party for kiddos birthday, in which case we would take a long midday break and return, canceling or changing Via Napoli. Thing is, we have a really early morning the next day....

Day 3-MK- EMM 7:45-10 planning to leave fantasyland at 9 and “RD” space Mountain, more if there’s time, return around 930-945 for breakfast buffet at Pinocchio Haus. FPs hopefully from 10-11,11-12,12-1(ish).
1:00 BOG reservation then back to resort to rest. (At least I think we will need this?)
Right now I have a 5:20 skippers canteen but I’m probably going to cancel it. If we were staying in the park I’d keep it but if we’re going back to room to rest I’ll have to let it go-just no time. We’ll just get a QS dinner somewhere. (Suggestions?)
7:45 Happily ever after dessert party garden fireworks viewing.

Day 4- AK- EMH hours open it at 8. To RD after the late night before or not.? That is the question. Somewhat depends on what FP+s we can get (FOP).
10:30 tusker house (ROL package)
Not sure how to go about this day at all.? Rest at the room, stay all day??
5:30 yak n yeti- could try to get later but nothing shows right now.
ROL 1st showing at 8:45- despite park hours still saying 8-8.

Day 5-leaving day- sleep in, pack up. 10:30 Bon Voyage breakfast. Then play at the pool a bit more. We only have a 2 hour drive to where we are spending the rest of our vacation.

I know we’re going to have an amazing time, DD a great birthday, however I’m really looking forward to some input on this plan. I feel like it’s good, I just keep second guessing myself...(FEA dessert party, leaving the park to rest on MK day, any plan for AK lol)

Thanks in advance!

on your Epcot day I'd RD HEA and find a later Akershus ADR. I think it will be too rushed the other way and the line will be bad by the time you get out (no matter when you do), but also you will be antsy to get out of there and get in line. RD Frozen, maybe M&G elsa and then have breakfast. UNLESS you do frozen with the dessert party then I'd just keep the PPO and not do frozen at that point. Considering the dessert party myself as it seems like a really nice experience and our trip is so short.

My son never wanted to take breaks, I took him when he was 6 in 2014 and 8 in 2016 and we never took a mid afternoon break. He was having too much fun at the parks. on our 2016 trip we went full out and it wasn't until the end of the 3rd day that we really started to poop out. With that knowledge in mind we have a similar short trip before our cruise, arriving Thursday, Epcot Friday PPO garden grill to close, Friday rope drop if at 8am or PPO BoG at 8am if RD is at 9am til close... last year it closed at 11pm. Next day ppo CP at MK and then staying at the park til 3. We'll need a rest at that point but we'll have it as we have a down night with my parents the night before the cruise, dinner and HEA fireworks cruise from the resort.

Breaks take a LOT of time out of your day for travel and when I forced it on my 6 year old he spent an hour in the resort tossing and turning and whining... I think are most important 1) when the weather is REALLY hot (which it should not be in march) 2) AND when the hours are very late and you want to ppo/rd til 11pm or midnight. I think the parks close either 8 or 9 in March, a 12 hour day is Doable for me. The only time i really do midday breaks is in the summer, otherwise we spend the whole day in the park. What we DO do is do 2 TS meals... these are a nice, crucial, relaxing part to spending the whole day in the parks. I found for big TS meals that 6-7 hours between start times worked out the best. 6 is ideal, 7 was ok but we were STARVING by then and destroyed the biergarten buffet!

all kids are different but with mine, 3 days open to close (given more limited hours in March) without breaks at the resort but with 2 TS a day would be perfectly fine. After that we'd need a real break (like entire day). When mine was a baby he'd sleep in the stroller or fall asleep in his carrier so he was not really a factor in planning anything at that age, he just kind of went where we went!

I’ve had several people tell me MK hours are likely going to be extended late since it’s spring break. I Was kinda basing the midday break on that assumption for the exact reason you said... PPO until 11-12 would be a long day- for all of us.
Do you think RD through FEA dessert party at Epcot followed by a PPO at MK (EMM) through dessert party is enough down time for us? We do have a car if it makes a difference with travel time for breaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter