• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help - Would you stay at OKW w/ Young Kids

We stayed in the 2BR because we had two families- mine with a 3 year old and almost 1 year old and my sister's family with a 7 year old and a 2 year old. We loved it because the extra space really let the little guys have cruising room and the pools were just the right size- I don't like big sprawling pools when you've got little ones. Having the kitchens was a big plus and it was just a very comfortable resort- nice decor and bus service was great when we were there.
Tara

There is a place to buy snacks and that sort of thing- also a restaurant- but we didn't really look into these because we had bought groceries with us and ate 2 meals at our villa and one in the parks. I remember there being a video rental place for movies and they had like a break bar or something along those lines. We did order pizza one night and I think it came from somewhere at the resort. HTH! Have a great trip!
Tara

We've been staying at OKW for years, and really like it for our children who are soon to be 4 and 6. If you've got a one or two-bedroom, the spaciousness is wonderful, and bedrooms separate from the living area allows you to do things while the babies sleep. The kitchen is great and helps cut down on food costs by allowing you to have snacks, breakfast, drinks in the room. If your babies are on formula or baby food, having the kitchen appliances available is great. The washer/dryer come in handy for washing kid clothing that tends to get dirty so quickly.

If you are in a studio, you still retain a lot of advantages. The OKW studio is a good sized room and it's angled layout makes it feel much larger than a regular hotel room. You'll have a microwave, refrigerator, toaster available. The bathroom is large and roomy, a plus when giving kids a bath. The studio also has a small balcony so you and DH can sit outside while the kids sleep. The beds are queen-size and are high off the floor, providing ample room to store your luggage.

As for resort amenities, the main pool area would work well for your children's ages. There is a main pool with a toddler/baby pool beside it. A sandy playground is adjacent to the toddler/baby pool, and my kids have spent many a busy hour running back and forth between the two, playing with friends they have just met at the pool. You can request life preservers for your children and keep them for the length of your stay, which is a boon for swimming in the deeper water of the main pool.

There is no food court at OKW. You have Olivia's, which is a full service sit-down restaurant. Accessible to the boardwalk/turtle krawl area is the bar and Goods to Go, a fast-food service counter. All of these are near the main pool. There is also a general store in which you can buy some provisions, but you can usually do better pricewise if you stop someplace outside of WDW property.

Hope this helps!;)

They also run lots of activites for the kids at community hall - on the boardwalk/turtle crawl area by the main pool. They run activites like finger painting, and tye dying and all different crafts!;)

We are heading down to disney in aug. it is me,dh,dd14 and her girlfriend14, i have booked the all stars, we usually stay there. I have been wondering if we should try a place like okw , if avail., to have the 2 br and 2br with the teens. My husband thinks it would be better than say 2 rooms at all stars. It seems cheaper thought at all stars, im not sure. i have to call this week end and see if avail. and the price. Has anyone else stayed with teens here or the other disney places with studio or condo. We like to stay on site, husband doesnt want the hassle of driving around. please let me know. Thanks,

Definitely!!! :) I think it's the perfect resort to stay at with kids. You'll love having all the extra space and privacy. :) I can't say enough great things about OKW. :)

Originally posted by Dopey's twin Dippy
I have been wondering if we should try a place like okw , if avail., to have the 2 br and 2br with the teens. My husband thinks it would be better than say 2 rooms at all stars. It seems cheaper thought at all stars, im not sure. i have to call this week end and see if avail. and the price.

After getting a price from CRO for OKW also check the DVC Rent/Trade Board on this site. It's usually less expensive to rent points from an owner. Also, sometimes, the closer it gets to your trip & someone needs to get rid of their points you may be able to get them for a good rate. FYI - The average rate is about $10 per point.

Good luck - I bet you would love OKW & so would the teens. It is just a short boat ride away from DTD. If they were allowed I bet they would love to be able to go shopping for a few hours some afternoon.

OKW would be a good choice - spent three nights with my 3 1/2 yr old there recently

He loved the walkway down between Hospitality House/Restaurant and Store, also the boat launch to DTD, the little food counter with frozen yogurt (yum)

The main pool is a good size

He loved playing around the mini-castles by the pool and in the large sandy area and in the sand buckets

The rooms - especially 1BR and up are very roomy....

Recommended!!!

2 thumbs up

Let me know if you want more details

Thanks
jaysue

We stayed at OKW last November with our 2 yo DD and thought it was fantastic!! We had a one bedroom and all that room for her to roam around was excellent. Having the kitchen for snacks and breakfasts was also a huge plus. And their large jacuzzi tub was like a mini-water park for DD!!! Having the washer/dryer I also found a big help. We were near a quiet pool which was great as there were not alot of people in it and it had an adjacent playground too. OKW is really nice and relaxing too for the grown-ups. Enjoy!!

For some reason, reading this thread brought to mind the time I met a couple who were on their first visit to OKW. We were hanging around the baby pool, and they were waiting for their room to be ready. Even though the family consisted of DH, DW and little infant, they booked a 2bdr! When I asked why, they said they wanted a little privacy from their infant at night. I don't think they realized just how far away that little one would be!!!!:) :) :)

For those who have not been to OKW as yet, a 2 BDR is very big!

OKW is great for all ages. Our kids have been to OKW from the age of 5 and my oldest is now 22. We have been going there for over 10 years. The rooms are great in size. One comment I just got from a friend of mine that I had go there was how child oriented the rooms were. After staying at OKW they went to her mom's condo, I think Westgate, and she said OKW was definitely equipped in the rooms for children. There weren't sharp points on the furniture like the other place, it was safe similar to the way you would set up your home. They got bed rails for the beds, which we requested ahead of time and they were there in the room when they arrived.
For teenagers, the privacy is a major factor. The negative is that they have to take a bus to all of the parks. This year we are taking my daughter and three of her friends for her 16th birthday and I had to fight her because I wanted the Beach Club so they would be closer to a couple of parks. She loves the size of OKW and the relaxed atmosphere. There are basketball courts, tennis courts, the activity and excerise rooms. Lots of things that they can enjoy. The kitchen is great for water and snacks. Also for breakfast. Do you know what it is like to wake a teenager for breakfast? Impossible, so this way everyone can get up when they want and have breakfast. That alone is worth it.
Good luck with your decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter