• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Helpful Hurricane Preparedness Tips

hereyago

Miss My Boy Nubbs
With Hermine kicking it up to hurricane status, here are a couple of my favorites for getting ready for the H word or any natural event that can cause havoc.

Wash all your dirty clothes and dishes before. Not fun if power goes out to have funk coming from inside your home.
What are some of your tips?

Everyone stay safe.

Before you go to bed (or shortly before the storm hits) fill all bath tubs with water and make sure they are well plugged. You can then use this water to flush the toilet if the power goes out. Have a bucket handy to transfer water from the bathtub to the toilet tank.

Make sure everyone has a flash light and if possible a back up in the main rooms. Check the batteries on all.

Before you go to bed (or shortly before the storm hits) fill all bath tubs with water and make sure they are well plugged. You can then use this water to flush the toilet if the power goes out. Have a bucket handy to transfer water from the bathtub to the toilet tank.

Make sure everyone has a flash light and if possible a back up in the main rooms. Check the batteries on all.

I did that once. One heck of a way to spend a vacation. I bought lots of chips and breakfast cereal on the recommendation of a supermarket clerk.

Oh - Hawaii was looking at this, although I understand the first storm veered south.

web1_20160829_goes_west_face.jpg

Turn down the freezer and Fridge temps a bit in anticipation of power outage. Fill up gas tanks. Charge all phones, laptops. Move cars out from under large trees.

I did that once. One heck of a way to spend a vacation. I bought lots of chips and breakfast cereal on the recommendation of a supermarket clerk.

Oh - Hawaii was looking at this, although I understand the first storm veered south.

No fun.

I grew up in south Texas and it was an odd summer if we didn't get a Cat 1 at least once. I was use to rain and power outages. First time a hurricane was to hit NY in recent memory but veered up to CT my friends were so confused why I would fill the bathtub. I was like look power goes out the water pump isn't going to work so no water into the toilet tank so no flushing. Who knows how long it'll take to get power back, do you really want to have to hold it?

I never understood why people stock up on milk before storms. If the power goes out the milk is useless to you. We always got peanut butter, bread, things that could be heated over a flame but didn't need water to cook. If you do want to be able to cook things with water then your best bet is to buy some of those massive poland springs water bottles just for cooking and don't waste little bottles on that. Of course on holiday/vacation I wouldn't worry that far. That is more if you live in hurricane areas. We also had a propane stove in our hurricane box.

No fun.

I grew up in south Texas and it was an odd summer if we didn't get a Cat 1 at least once. I was use to rain and power outages. First time a hurricane was to hit NY in recent memory but veered up to CT my friends were so confused why I would fill the bathtub. I was like look power goes out the water pump isn't going to work so no water into the toilet tank so no flushing. Who knows how long it'll take to get power back, do you really want to have to hold it?

I never understood why people stock up on milk before storms. If the power goes out the milk is useless to you. We always got peanut butter, bread, things that could be heated over a flame but didn't need water to cook. If you do want to be able to cook things with water then your best bet is to buy some of those massive poland springs water bottles just for cooking and don't waste little bottles on that. Of course on holiday/vacation I wouldn't worry that far. That is more if you live in hurricane areas. We also had a propane stove in our hurricane box.

When I was stocking up for my hotel room, I bought this:

cbcca7b8-cc3b-4807-aa30-c667cf7c443b_1.20b95a010964394d6bc2991626709197.jpeg

It seemed to be prominently displayed with the other storm supplies like Sterno, camp propane, and Zippo lighters.

When I was stocking up for my hotel room, I bought this:

cbcca7b8-cc3b-4807-aa30-c667cf7c443b_1.20b95a010964394d6bc2991626709197.jpeg

It seemed to be prominently displayed with the other storm supplies like Sterno, camp propane, and Zippo lighters.

Shelf stable is a good choice. I just see people get regular milk out of the refrigerator section and shake my head.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

I know this is odd, but I kind of see the face of Dr. Seuss Lorax, lol. I need to get some sleep, lol

Shelf stable is a good choice. I just see people get regular milk out of the refrigerator section and shake my head.

I think I had ice cream. If the power went out that would have been the first thing I would have eaten.

However, since I was on vacation I also had bought a small soft-sided cooler. My hotel room (at an extended stay hotel) had a full sized refrigerator although I had to use a tray to make ice. I didn't end up needing all of this stuff because the storm turned into a wimp, and it was back at a time when most airlines included two pieces of check-in baggage. So I just packed all of this stuff in a large corrugated cardboard box and taped it shut, including all the snack foods, breakfast cereal, bottled water, bottled sodas, etc. I had to leave the Sterno and matches behind though. I saw that the box had been opened and resealed, with a TSA note inside saying that it had been searched.

We get our fair share of power outages here. I have a bunch of battery operated tea lights that I can put in each room, a ohone that can be plugged in the wall and be used without electricity, and the gas grill makes a great oven.

No fun.

I grew up in S. Louisiana, so my experience is the same as yours. I moved north years ago, and I can tell you this much: both the milk runs and the cluelessness about bathtub filling are direct reflections of defining a "storm" as a snowstorm. If the power goes out for that reason, water and cooling are plentiful, you end up surrounded by them in the form of ice and snow (and unlike floodwater, snow that isn't touched by a plow or shovel tends to stay clean enough to use.) They buy the milk to use to eat cereal because their electric stoves won't work. (No way on earth I would ever own an electric stove. Gas isn't affected by power outages.)

I grew up in S. Louisiana, so my experience is the same as yours. I moved north years ago, and I can tell you this much: both the milk runs and the cluelessness about bathtub filling are direct reflections of defining a "storm" as a snowstorm. If the power goes out for that reason, water and cooling are plentiful, you end up surrounded by them in the form of ice and snow (and unlike floodwater, snow that isn't touched by a plow or shovel tends to stay clean enough to use.) They buy the milk to use to eat cereal because their electric stoves won't work. (No way on earth I would ever own an electric stove. Gas isn't affected by power outages.)

A lot of gas stoves have electric ignition though. I have an older gas stove with a weird pilot light system where there's some electric pump that ignites from a pilot shared between two elements.

In addition to other ideas...

Gas up all autos. Even after doing this, we waited for hours after Katrina for a gas truck to come to one of the only open gas stations a week later. Dh had to report to work.

Have cash. Power goes out credit cards don't work.

Propane for gas grill.

Fill up all available space in freezer with containers of water. Freezes and you have ice for water or to keep freezer items colder longer.

Important papers and photos to water proof containers.

Back up computer docs to external storage bring with you. Lose computer but have your files.

So many other tips. I just automatically jump into prep mode.

Last edited:
I do a lot of the same things already mentioned. My tip is to use glow sticks from the camping section instead of using candles. Also make sure you have your prescription medications filled & make sure you have enough pet food.

Do not use generators in closed in spaces like a garage. Be careful after the storm people are hurt by downed power lines & debris. If you were told to evacuate, DO IT!, first responders cannot come out during the storm to help you.
Hope everyone in the path stays safe

We make sure to have plenty of fuel for the generator & grill, fresh batteries for flashlights, cell phone charged, plenty of tp and bottled water and vehicles filled up.

We used to fill the tub, but don't anymore since we have the generator. And forget snow for water use. One year I tried melting it by the woodstove for toilet use. Forget it. Takes forever and a 5 gallon bucket of snow is like 2 cups of water, lol!

We are here now on Disney property. This is our first time experiencing something like this. Thanks for posting these tips. When we left there were no indications of a hurricane or tropical storm in the forecast. We do know this is the season.

We called the front desk on the protocol for this kind of stuff. They said they'll call everyone if there is an emergency. o_O

We wanted to watch Wishes from the Top of the World Lounge tonight. Instead we are sitting in our room watching Illuminations from our bed while watching the weather on the news.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter